• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing 16-20 chosen solely on the likelihood of Test play within the next 24 months. Get Milne feeling like a full professional. If Munners swags a $3000 here or $2000 there in match fees that's fine. If he starts ringing counties (hoping they just look him up on Cricinfo rather than CW and Youtube) that's fine too.

Anyway, NZC claims sweet revenge on Siddons for the big talk and **** output.

Ronchi, Franklin, Arnel, Ryder, Gillespie, Papps, Jeets, Murdoch (to Otago possibly), McKay, Woodcock, Boam, Brodie, Tugaga, Houghton, Friday (Pollard, Blundell, Hutchinson, Orton etc.).

Flem274*

123/5
If Wellington try to fit all the safe names in the team this year they're going to get done. Their squad is unbalanced because they try to fit in all 10000 middle order allrounders and injury prone seamers.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm also looking forward to CD announcing they've added to their cupboard of imported young bowlers in the contracts, to take them up to owning 90% of all bowlers under 25 years of age. Because when you already have a good home grown stock the best thing you can do is steal everyone elses so they can't hit Carl Cachopa in the head.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would be keenest to pick up which All Star though. Not sure MAs would be turning to their Howsie constituents and saying 'bet you're thrilled we pulled off a bit of a coup with Woodcock, what a snare'.

steal everyone elses so they can't hit Carl Cachopa in the head.
You only need 130kph to achieve that tbf, if that. Speaking of which, I'd presume a lot of the fringe Indian and Sri Lankan seamers are on Twitter. Kippax will have to look at the squads, if there's some of sufficient pace to cause a serious brain injury Carlchopa might be spared.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm suurprised no one has swooped in and taken Boam. Solid allrounder, young, probably won't play international cricket due to Anderson/Neesham etc

Speaking of Carl Cachopa, is he moving to Auckland?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Some will give a cheer at the news of the demise of 'Lawnbowls' Littlejohn.

Controversial Littlejohn Out the NZC Door | Stuff.co.nz

I for one am not so sure this is a good thing, primarily because I think our selections have been relatively good and sensible in the last few years - a few notable exceptions but those mostly arose where there weren't obvious quality alternatives. Overall imo selections were much better than they were much of last decade.

"We want to continue with the model of having scouts and having consultation with the major associations. That will be in the structure that we will announce next week," White said. "We are going to get the selector in place and then we will go through the process of appointing the scouts."

Turner indicated he would only be interested in the national selector role if the position was independent from the coach and captain. He disagreed with the current model, where Hesson has the power of veto. Turner felt that made him effectively the sole selector. "As far as I'm concerned unless a panel is independent then it wouldn't function in a way that would work," Turner said. "Everyone should be consulted but the coach and captain should not have, in my view, an official selection role. It's too much of a conflict of interest.
I didn't know Hesson was officially the gatekeeper to the mates club as well as unofficially.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Look I agree with Hesson that he should have the veto power - he's the coach and gets to pick his team. Obviously he wants to consult his captain too, but honestly the coach is the best placed to decide the tactics and setup of the team.

However, I do think it's very premature to be giving Littlejohn the boot. I think we were finally seeing some methodical, consistent selection policies. Yes, that resulted in players like Munro and Nicol being picked, but the reality is I would much prefer they're picking players who are scoring runs (or taking wickets) than going on "but he could be good" selections (i.e. Franklin, Guptill).

Flem274*

123/5
Franklin is the worst example you could have used.

He started as a bowling talent who was young and unproven but gun, then after injury he became a batting allrounder and had to earn his selection through weight of runs only to suck when picked.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Anyone know who the selector(s) was/were for the NZ a tour to India and Sri Lanka?

Btw, fantastic itinerary, but strangely lop-sided squad with no openers.

Was it Buchanan?
I'm not surehow I feel about Buchanan being pushed, I get the feeling it is his work that has got this 'A' tour off the ground (although that is what any decent high performance director should be doing). But then some bat**** crazy selections.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah we commented on that in the NZ Domestic thread. No Raval and no Flynn makes Bahnzy something something.

Flem274*

123/5
The culture of mediocrity is forever, and is proudly brought to you by New Zealand Cricket in association with Grant Bradburn Sports.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, nifty.

Latham or whoever leads them to a first-up loss in Sri Lanka, it's mission accomplished.

Last edited: