Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    added

"If John Wright was still coach, "Macewell" would be in your stupid CW parlance by now, believe me"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    Theortically, a happy, fit, in form Ryder would add a reasonable bowling option and bat in the top 6. Still whispers going around that he may be making the Bangladesh trip late this year. Who would you drop though? Have to be Brownlie?
    Nah we should be very wary of Klee and Siddons simply helping Ryder stuff a mountain of junk into a cupboard and then calling the house tidy, seeing it's Bangladesh and he can probably get a back-foot-camped joke innings away.

Don't let him slide down the depressing 'last years of McMillan' gutter while he's still stating a huge preference in his interest towards Test cricket; take more time and engage him in some proper repair.

Jesse Ryder vs. Blair Soper - YouTube

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    5/6 months until the Bangladesh tour is sufficient time for mine. South Africa was a tough reintroduction to cricket last time, sure, and his other problems are well-known. But if he's not raring to go by November/December at 29 years of age, he'll never be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Don't let him slide down the depressing 'last years of McMillan' gutter while he's still stating a huge preference in his interest towards Test cricket;
    Dang - those were some ugly days.

Must say, I wasn't saying "Pick Ryder for Bangladesh!", just interested to hear that if he was fit, ready, and raring to go, would many people pick him for Brownlie come October considering that he adds some bowling when fit.

Still think a middle order of Taylor/Ryder/McCullum would look frighteningly dangerous. Both for bowling attacks, and potentially for NZ fans sanity.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Sigh, in spite of all the doom and gloom, after 9 months of fairly regular test cricket it sure is going to be hard to have to wait 5 months before our next test series.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    5/6 months until the Bangladesh tour is sufficient time for mine. South Africa was a tough reintroduction to cricket last time, sure, and his other problems are well-known. But if he's not raring to go by November/December at 29 years of age, he'll never be.
    He can give us some convincing front-foot play and play out Andrew Ellis and Blair Soper without being done for a month before he's thrown a test cap. That's what we hoped the second half of 2012/13 was for, but instead Wellington were issuing him with a final warning.

Telling him he's wanted for that Indian A tour in September before he commits to any Caribbean T20 might be an ideal litmus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Sigh, in spite of all the doom and gloom, after 9 months of fairly regular test cricket it sure is going to be hard to have to wait 5 months before our next test series.
    I think that test series against Bangladesh could actually be rather interesting - especially if we have another subcontinent spin fail.

He can give us some convincing front-foot play and play out Andrew Ellis and Blair Soper without being done for a month before he's thrown a test cap. That's what we hoped the second half of 2012/13 was for, but instead Wellington were issuing him with a final warning.

Telling him he's wanted for that Indian A tour in September before he commits to any Caribbean T20 might be an ideal litmus.
    He should sooooooooo go on the Indian A tour. Indian bowlers are his bitches.

Looks pretty reliable to me:

Start of the series will be on October 8,

New Zealand will play Two Test, Three ODIs & One T20 match against Bangladesh.

Cricket Schedule for Bangladesh in the Year 2013 | News on Cricket

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    I think that test series against Bangladesh could actually be rather interesting - especially if we have another subcontinent spin fail.
    Yeah, but again it's five months from now. No matter how glum we are about Sunday's result, I think we can all agree that New Zealand are a much better side now than when I started this thread. I don't think it's a coincidence that that improvement has come during a period when New Zealand has had it's most intense burst of test cricket at any time in the last decade (13 tests in 9 months).

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar

Wasn't aware we had that tour, good stuff.

Realistically, even the most optimistic people will concede that Ryder's unlikely to rein himself in against Plunket Shield level bowlers. He just doesn't rate them. He's shown in the past he can take a more sedate approach to batting at test level though, so I think the best thing for him is to score some runs against India A, Bangladesh etc later this year and get his confidence back. It's a good thing those tours are away from home as well. Looking back at that South African tour here, the NZ public didn't exactly help.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    What about opening with Williamson, he basically is anyway as an early wicket goes and he walks in to face the new ball and looks the most accomplished player against it.

Yeah, but again it's five months from now. No matter how glum we are about Sunday's result, I think we can all agree that New Zealand are a much better side now than when I started this thread. I don't think it's a coincidence that that improvement has come during a period when New Zealand has had it's most intense burst of test cricket at any time in the last decade (13 tests in 9 months).
    Yeah if Southee and Boult lose that consistency it will really suck

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    What about opening with Williamson, he basically is anyway as an early wicket goes and he walks in to face the new ball and looks the most accomplished player against it.
    He's looked very accomplished since his debut yet still averages around 33.

He should be batting at 6 IMO

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Yeah if Southee and Boult lose that consistency it will really suck
    Both could benefit immensely from County stints. I mean, they're available, which is more than can be said for most County international signings these days.

Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread Information