Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Well then you'll be waiting for a while. This series win will have bought Hesson some serious time as coach. Even if NZ do terribly from now on (less likely given the return of several critical players) I can't see his place coming under pressure any sooner than the Champion's Trophy.
    Maybe so, but that that just shows that what should happen and what will happen often tend to be different.

Fundamentally, I just cannot see NZ's team culture and results progressing under Hesson. He's the Rob Nicol of coaches. Doesn't know what to do so just charges and swings wildly.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    He managed to get through the test against Sri Lanka alright, and that was arguably an even worse position for him to be in.
    But to work long term under someone who doesn't support you and probably actively undermines you is all but impossible. And to everyone else it just looks like you're doing a **** job.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Tbf, in the long-term, having McCullum as captain might work out well, once he learns the skills of the job at international level and we can have Taylor to play his natural game and hopefully pile on the runs (though he did average better as captain, but that may also coincide in his best form with the bat to date and not include his slow start). Hesson should go, though. The whole thing was handled poorly as we know but Hesson has been shown up as just awful. We can do better than this guy, surely.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Jamie Siddons could be a goer if he's keen and still around when we're next on the market for a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Siddonssssss
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    What about Steve Rixon? I'm guessing he's not interested because he's been there, done that?

Pretty sad if he'd rather be a fielding coach for Aus than the head coach for NZ.

New Zealand need an emotionless, stonefaced Zimbabwean as a coach.

Since the two proven international coaches who meet that stereotype are employed elsewhere, I suggest they recruit the third best option:

DAVID HOUGHTON

Perhaps Ballance, who is his nephew, may be persuaded to come and qualify for NZ instead of England?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    What about Steve Rixon? I'm guessing he's not interested because he's been there, done that?

Pretty sad if he'd rather be a fielding coach for Aus than the head coach for NZ.
    I think Rixon mentioned that he was interested in coming back and coaching NZ a few years ago (I remember him talking about his plans for managing difficult individuals like Ryder and drawing parallels with his experiences coaching Cairns and Parore). Not sure if he ever actually applied for the position though, and I doubt he would be interested now that he's finally got an Australian coaching gig (even if it is just as the fielding coach).
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I think Rixon mentioned that he was interested in coming back and coaching NZ a few years ago (I remember him talking about his plans for managing difficult individuals like Ryder and drawing parallels with his experiences coaching Cairns and Parore). Not sure if he ever actually applied for the position though, and I doubt he would be interested now that he's finally got an Australian coaching gig (even if it is just as the fielding coach).
    Fielding coach is his official title but he does a lot more than that in reality. He's effectively assistant national coach - he took over as head coach for the ODIs in the UAE because Arthur cbf, for example. Arthur was very keen to get him on board in whatever official capacity possible in order to basically use him as a general dog's body assistant; he's a big fan in general.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    We had an "NZ Doom and Gloom" thread not that long ago. It hasn't really needed to be used in recent times.
    They were tricky batting conditions, but all out for 68 is a disgrace.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The NZ team aren't used to winning but with that attack they will continue to create chances to win. They are in a much better position than they were in a couple of years back. Once they get over the line they will become a better allround unit and win more often. WI found it tough to get those early wins and have done ok of late.

Pretty much still just need 2 openers and a spin bowler. And we'll be sweet.

The pace bowlers are pretty good - 4 genuine options there, with some good back up floating around.

Would be very interesting to see what Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/McCullum/Watling could do if they had any sort of foundation. Plus Guptill and Latham floating around in the background.

I reckon we are eight elevenths of a good cricket team.

As I've said before NZ's batting is always going to be crap, so they should focus on picking the best 4 seamers and knocking teams over relatively cheaply. The last thing you want to do is get a team in trouble with pace bowling and be forced to bowl Martin or some other mickey mouse bowler. That release will put the game out of reach of NZ's batting lineup.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Well, it sure was nice pretending that we had a top 3 that could play like normal test cricketers. Not that they were the only ones at fault in this case.

Actually don't want to think too much about last night just yet. After being wondrously competitive against a top side for 3 and 3/4 test matches, this result hurts a hell of a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    The NZ team aren't used to winning but with that attack they will continue to create chances to win. They are in a much better position than they were in a couple of years back. Once they get over the line they will become a better allround unit and win more often. WI found it tough to get those early wins and have done ok of late.

Well we've given this excuse quite a few times too.

This loss takes away all of that hard-earned self-believe of the 3 NZ tests and the first 3 days of Lord's.

It's just crushing.

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information