• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But you conveniently ignore Sangakkara's less than stellar stats in India, SA, and England. The guy has played 3 Tests in Australia, flopped miserably in the first, then did very well indeed in the other two. But if three tests is a good enough pool for you to proclaim his awesomeness in Australia, then surely 6,8 , and 9, in those three countries respectively with middling returns, is decent enough to knock him down a few pegs in the ATG pecking order. I don't see how that is fallacious, or dishonest reasoning.
Laxman's doesn't exactly have a great record in England either.

i think he is the greatest batsman ever to play for Srilanka along with jaywerdene and jayasuria. He doesnt do mistakes you have to bowl him out ...He is elegant , he is a class act in simple words just love him playing . I am a Pakistani though :p

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is why I hate discussing great players on CW.

"Nowhere near" lol.Unbelievable. I point out to you some great innings and you say wah wah its not about that. That is exactly what it's about.

Now look, I saw Ponting play quite a lot and while he is an incredible batsman, he wasn't hitting cover drives whilst doing back flips then walking to lunch barefoot in a blizzard.

Sangakkara has about ten million runs at an average nearing the stratosphere. True, Bradman is on Pluto but you may as well compare Tendulkar with James Marshall because that's the gap between Bradman and the closest batsman to him, whoever it is.

You know who doesn't care about this argument? Sangakkara, because he is too busy batting like a boss then going home to lots and lots of *** to care about whether the internet or some old bloke in a commentary booth can decide whether his record speaks for itself or not.
Oh blimey, is this one of those young teen forums is it? I'm not going to get branded a pervert, am I?

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's OK, I realised the man's intellect was of a 11 year old, not his actual age. Turns out I'm not quite like Gary Glitter....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis is in there with Dravid and Ponting but Sanga is in the next tier with KP, Smith, Sehwag, Younis Khan etc. and the best of that league
I think that todays innings by Kallis, although it will be seen as a great hundred by many, re-inforces to me why he will never be seen in the same class as Ponting, Sachin, Lara or even Dravid. He doesn't have that third gear or mentality of when to attack and place his foot on the oppositions throat. Lara, Ponting or Sachin would now be in fifth gear and destroying the opposition. Kallis us usual is playing for Kallis.

akilana

International 12th Man
I think that todays innings by Kallis, although it will be seen as a great hundred by many, re-inforces to me why he will never be seen in the same class as Ponting, Sachin, Lara or even Dravid. He doesn't have that third gear or mentality of when to attack and place his foot on the oppositions throat. Lara, Ponting or Sachin would now be in fifth gear and destroying the opposition. Kallis us usual is playing for Kallis.
Ya I changed my mind after watching that innings. Kallis is actually only behind Sachin.. Lara has a poor away record compared to any of those guys and is no way better than any of them. Also remember him playing for his record (400) and not declaring to give his team a chance.. so I think I will have even Sanga ahead of Lara.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He did eventually accelerate, I jist though that he could have done it sooner. I love how he can construct an innings and yes a team needs both type of payers, but the great ones know how to play both ways and don't always belive that Kallis does. The guys is definately an ATG and a player and batsman, just dont think he has that extra gear the a Bradman, Sobers, Richards, Lara, Sachin ect had. It was a great hundred, but as I said though he could have accelerated sooner. Watched Chanderpaul score a hundred vs Australia this year when he played for himself even after he passed a hundred and we were looking to accelerate to declare, and watching today, even though Kallis wasn't that bad, for a while it reminded me of it. I guess I just prefer the dominant, flamboyant batter or its hard for Jacques to shed his old labels, but he did finally accelerate in the end and context aside, it was a great innings.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ya I changed my mind after watching that innings. Kallis is actually only behind Sachin.. Lara has a poor away record compared to any of those guys and is no way better than any of them. Also remember him playing for his record (400) and not declaring to give his team a chance.. so I think I will have even Sanga ahead of Lara.
Wouln't even dignify that with a response.

watson

Banned
:shocking:

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
LOL what a bunch of stupid crap. Everybody complemented Smith and Cook on their tons when it was scored and they struck at a rate of 47 and 38. He scored a ton at a rate of 55 in a test match only bested by Amla in the who struck at 58. Not to mention the fact the they only had to play aggressive this morning which he did. He is the only person the match so far that has hit a convincing six. Not to mention in the last 4 years he has struck at a rate of 53 about just as good as Ponting and Tendulkar who has struck at 57 and 54 only the difference is he scored a lot more.

First he has to score runs in England otherwise his record isn't complete then when he does score runs he hasn't scored fast enough. Just goes to show you how some pathetic people will always make lame ass excuses to discredit a legend. Based on overall career Kallis has a higher strike rate than Dravid and nobody complains about his strike rate. Kevin Pieterson strikes at over 20 runs faster than Dravid. I don't think I have anybody idiotic enough to suggest Pieterson is a better batsman than Dravid.
:thumbup:

Jager

International Debutant
Surely that's a black mark against his captaincy, not his batting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to be clear, not trying to discredit anyone, to me he is the second greatest ever All Rounder, just really wished he had that consistent 3rd gear and that killet instinct.

Jager

International Debutant
Just to be clear, not trying to discredit anyone, to me he is the second greatest ever All Rounder, just really wished he had that consistent 3rd gear and that killet instinct.
Second best batting all-rounder, or do you place him above Miller/Imran/Botham?

smash84

The Tiger King
kyear2's definition of an all rounder is slightly different.

Batsman + slip fielder = all rounder (this is his main criteria). Correct me if I am wrong kyear2?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As highly as I rate the importance of fielding, it can't be included in the definition of an all-rounder.

The only three areas that contribute to being an AR are batting and bowling or wicketkeeping.

Slip fielding is very important, but doesn't make someone an AR.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Smali seems to be on a roll. Though I believe that being a good slipper adds value to a player and a side and when I do my drafts and A.T. teams I always try to include 3 good slip fielders, contrary to.what Smali I do not consider them to be all rounders.
Now, as England showed today and in the past, it is unwise to go into a test with just your front line bowlers and a legitimate fifth bowler, ala Sobers, Kallis, Weekes, Watson, Waugh ect is often required dor optimum team balance and while a bowling all rounder gives your batting depth (Imran, Hadlee, Broad ect) unless he can consistently bat in the top 6, doesn't offer you that 5th bowler to rest your front line seamers or give you that elusive break through. Miller and Botham were the exceptions as true all rounders, but Botham dropped of drastically and Miller was inconsistent with the bat and often under used with the ball. Hence I rate batting all rounders higher and more important, and additionally if you are relying on your #8 to save you match after match you have bigger problems.
Hence to smali's point, I do find a great batsman whos is great slipper (Lara, Ponting, Weekes) to be almost or just as important to a side as a bowling a/r, a batsman who can bat, bowl a bit and offer me a great slipper (Hammond, McCabe, Kallis, Sobers, Simpson, Chappell ect.) to much more important and crucial to a side than a bowling a/r.
So yes Kallis is to me just behind Sobers, though Imrans captaincy makes it a virtual dead heat.

nb: Not looking for a fight. :)