• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League - The Reserves

Jager

International Debutant
Ankit, I'd play Jackson at 6 if I had your XI and play Gregory at 7 - ditch Peel or Freeman IMO.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
OK, this is my final line up:

Arthur Shrewsbury
Herbie Collins +
KS Ranjitsinhji
George Headley
Dudley Nourse
Stanley Jackson
Jack Gregory
Jock Cameron +
Bobby Peel
JJ Ferris
Sydney Barnes

12th man - Tich Freeman

Agent TBY

International Captain
I wish you could change your numbers 9 and 10 around, just to make whoever reads out your team say "Ferris, Peel".

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Want this to end so I can vote for Agent already.
Why do you guys always want to vote for teams with lesser known, lesser accomplished players. In Agents team, Faulkner is probably the only one who can be regarded an ATG, and other very good pick being Ames. My team has Headley, Barnes and Nourse with great test records.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Why do you guys always want to vote for teams with lesser known, lesser accomplished players. In Agents team, Faulkner is probably the only one who can be regarded an ATG, and other very good pick being Ames. My team has Headley, Barnes and Nourse with great test records.
I personally consider Faulkner, Ames, Macartney, Tate and Jardine ATGs as cricketers. And then he's filled the rest of his gaps with players like Vijay Merchant and Lindsay Hassett and Stewie Dempster who I rate incredibly highly at this level, as well.

As I said previously, it's not far off what my favourite pre-war XI would look like.

Jager

International Debutant
I mentioned it to Prez on CricSim and he said he'd get onto it, he's probably forgotten though

Agent TBY

International Captain
I'm actually glad you see it that way, to be perfectly honest. I knew so little about this era that I made a conscious decision to draft a more balanced side over going for superstars. I could've looked at stats and test records all day but this era's stats don't say much - there are tons of players who've played a few series, had amazing stats but were unceremoniously dumped and never heard from again. In that context, it's very difficult to judge who the Stuart Clarks and Ryan Sidebottoms were, and who the Shane Bonds were.

That's why my first four picks were two all-rounders, a keeper-batsman and a captain, and I think that approach has worked out pretty well. My side looks like one you'd build in 2012 - players in their preferred positions, bats all the way down to 9, has 5 genuine bowling options (all different kinds of bowlers too) in the kind of attack my shrewd skipper would thrive in leading, and is generally filled with players that were rated very highly by journalists, their teammates and even their opponents. Even those in my team that didn't play much, Merchant, Dempster and Cowie for example, were by all accounts legends and could've made a much bigger mark on the game if they were only afforded the opportunity.

Would I have loved to have Hobbs/Headley/Barnes, or Hutton/Sutcliffe/Lohmann like morgieb does? Absolutely, but I knew that was never going to be a realistic option for the kind of side I wanted to build. The only player I really regret missing out on in this entire draft is Compton - I actually thought people would overlook when he debuted and that I'd end up with an aggressive batting superstar, the romance pick so to speak.

On the other hand, I count myself very lucky to have both Faulkner and Tate - the best batting and bowling all-rounders available - and Ames in my team. It's a bit like drafting Sobers, Imran and Gilchrist, so I was genuinely surprised when Tate lasted well into the third round. I was certain he'd go immediately after I picked Faulkner so I guess I lucked out in that regard.

I personally consider Faulkner, Ames, Macartney, Tate and Jardine ATGs as cricketers. And then he's filled the rest of his gaps with players like Vijay Merchant and Lindsay Hassett and Stewie Dempster who I rate incredibly highly at this level, as well.

As I said previously, it's not far off what my favourite pre-war XI would look like.
:)

MrPrez

International Debutant
1)A.Jackson
2)B.Woodful
3)D.Compton
4)S.McCabe
5)T.Hayward
6)J.Ryder
7)B.Murdoch +
8)W.Rhodes
9)Frank Foster
10)B.O'Reilly
11)Bill Bowes

12th: G.Geary

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So, I believe that concludes the draft.

I'll try and get a voting thread up tonight.

EDIT:
8ankitj, can I get a bowling order from you, should you wish to have one. Additionally, morgieb and Cabinet, could I request a team list in batting order - otherwise I'll have to try and guess.

Last edited: