• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

Jager

International Debutant
Can't go past the best captain in history, Douglas Jardine. Guess which bowler he has to call on?

1. Alec Stewart+
3. Neil Harvey
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Doug Walters
7. Douglas Jardine*
8. Wilfred Rhodes
9. Harold Larwood
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Waqar Younis

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Surprised Statham is still around! Happy, have 3 quality pacers and 2 gun spinners. Pick between that at your peril.

Eds

International Debutant
I doubt my choice opener will be taken by next round ;)
You should have taken two in these two rounds. That or get a wicket-keeper that would actually be capable of opening and keeping at this level. :p

IMO, anyway.

watson

Banned
To be honest, Alec Stewart is good enough to be an opener at the highest level. I'd have another keeper so Alec can do what he does best - stick it to the bowlers.

Eds

International Debutant
To be honest, Alec Stewart is good enough to be an opener at the highest level. I'd have another keeper so Alec can do what he does best - stick it to the bowlers.
I agree he's good enough to be an opener at this level.
I also agree he's good enough to be a wicket-keeper at this level.
I disagree he's capable of both at once, at this level.

watson

Banned
I thought watson would pick Jardine
Jardine crossed my mind Andy, but he would upset the balance of the team because with Mushtaq being an allrounder the team needed a top class batsman at No.6 to carry the tail with Alan Knott. I don't rate Jardine as a batsman although he is in the upper echelons as a captain. His average of 48 is an illusion if you step back and look at his scores from a distance. There is simply nothing of note against Australia.

However, in the context of Jager's team he seems to fit very well.

Jager

International Debutant
Wilfred Rhodes opened the innings few times not a bad option though I'd give Alec Stewart benefit of doubt
Got Wilfred as a backup waiting. Stewart easily good enough to handle both - I don't know why him keeping is going to add so much pressure. He's a wicketkeeper batsman, batted best while opening and was at home facing pace bowlers

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah watson Jardine fits more into Jager's team

I knew Wilfred Rhodes made some contribution opening the innings but just found out he surpassed the expectations. Wilfred Rhodes made 5 half centuries and 2 centuries opening the innings. His two centuries- 179 against Australia and 152 against South Africa

watson

Banned
Yeah watson Jardine fits more into Jager's team

I knew Wilfred Rhodes made some contribution opening the innings but just found out he surpassed the expectations. Wilfred Rhodes made 5 half centuries and 2 centuries opening the innings. His two centuries- 179 against Australia and 152 against South Africa
Statsguru tells me that Wilfred averaged 36.72 runs when opening the innings. This isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

Trouble is, if you play Wilfred as an opener then you lose a spinner because he hardly ever bowled when he partnered Jack Hobbs.

I even think that No.8 or 9 is probably too high in the order. All his genius resides in his bowling skills prior to WWI. Back then, he was only vaguely competent with the bat. But what a bowler!

Jager

International Debutant
Jardine crossed my mind Andy, but he would upset the balance of the team because with Mushtaq being an allrounder the team needed a top class batsman at No.6 to carry the tail with Alan Knott. I don't rate Jardine as a batsman although he is in the upper echelons as a captain. His average of 48 is an illusion if you step back and look at his scores from a distance. There is simply nothing of note against Australia.

However, in the context of Jager's team he seems to fit very well.
Baffled you don't rate his batting. Average of about 47 in FC cricket with 35 centuries is surely worthy of note

Eds

International Debutant
Just checked and he only opened and kept in the same innings 11 times out of 235, ftr.

Couple of strategies from here for Jager, IMO:

- Find another spinner, use Rhodes as part-time, and open the innings with Rhodes. Move Stewart to 7 and drop Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Find an opener, keep Rhodes where he is as a bowler, drop Stewart to 7 and drop Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Keep Stewart opening, recruit another WK to play instead of Jardine, or weakest middle order.
- Drop someone, and replace them with a keeper that kept and opened together.
- Swap the batting positions of Stewart and Jardine.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
If it were up to me I would play him as a wicketkeeper batsman at no. 7 and push Jardine up the order to open. He's done it on a few occasions and started off his career as an opener iirc.