• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar in line for nomination to Parliament

smash84

The Tiger King
haha......yeah she is gonna raise the glamor quotient surely

If Imran ends up being the next premier of Pak then with this lot in the Indian Parliament the overall glamor quotient of SC parliament would be going up lol

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is still better than most of the junk we have elected to that place..

That said, Dravid would have been a million times better pick.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar doesn't play after IPL for the next few months since India don't have any international matches IIRC. So I guess it makes sense, can't see him focus on this once the winter season starts though, with both England and Australia touring.

Not sure why he's getting into politics though.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Don't know how to react to this really. Really hope this isn't the start of a political career for him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully by taking up a political role he alienates roughly 50% of the population.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't wait til Burgey sees this
?

Peter Garrett is an elected politician here in Australia. And he's had a portfolio.

Also on that, a mate of mine was in Europe and had a chat to a Serbian man on a train. That man made no bones about the fact that if Novak Djokovic ran for President of Serbia he would win it in a landslide.

Far weirder things have happened than Sachin being elected to the upper house.

The power of extremely popular sportsmen (and celebs in general) to get momentum and get into politics is pretty well known. Perhaps getting to head office will generally not happen in most countries (well you'd hope so) but a seat in Parliament/Congress etc. is pretty gettable for a sportsman.

****, what about Arnie?

I think the issue here is Sachin is still playing cricket. But maybe he's looking to retire shortly and this is a sign, who knows?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
?

Peter Garrett is an elected politician here in Australia. And he's had a portfolio.

Also on that, a mate of mine was in Europe and had a chat to a Serbian man on a train. That man made no bones about the fact that if Novak Djokovic ran for President of Serbia he would win it in a landslide.

The power of extremely popular sportsmen (and celebs in general) to get momentum and get into politics is pretty well known. Perhaps getting to head office will generally not happen in most countries (well you'd hope so) but a seat in Parliament/Congress etc. is pretty gettable for a sportsman.

****, what about Arnie?

I think the issue here is Sachin is still playing cricket. But maybe he's looking to retire shortly and this is a sign, who knows?
Burgey is just generally humorous in any Sachin thread lid, chill out and remember VOTE JONO

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Burgey is just generally humorous in any Sachin thread lid, chill out and remember VOTE JONO
Sent Burgey a message yesterday saying "suck a dick"

For some reason my number didn't pop up so it came up as an unknown person.

He replies "is this Jono?"

So proud of myself :cool:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sent Burgey a message yesterday saying "suck a dick"

For some reason my number didn't pop up so it came up as an unknown person.

He replies "is this Jono?"

So proud of myself :cool:
Wasted opportunity if you replied yes IMO

VOTE JONO

Burgey

?

****, what about Arnie?

Peter Garrett had about a 25 year history of environmental advocacy before he went into politics.

Tendulkar has a 25 year history of hitting cricket balls. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been an openly political figure. If he wants to get into it, good on him. he might be able to use his profile to draw attention to important issues, and maybe inspire some young people who do have something to offer to get into politics.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Peter Garrett had about a 25 year history of environmental advocacy before he went into politics.

Tendulkar has a 25 year history of hitting cricket balls. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been an openly political figure.
Sachin's done plenty of charity work (as someone with his ridiculous amount of money should), and I'm sure he has a view on what is right and the absolute bucketload that is wrong with India at this moment.

He's also one of the more overly patriotic players in the Indian team. Something which shouldn't be that surprising considering what the country has given him I guess.

It does not surprise me that he'd consider going into Politics really, even if it doesn't fit with the main view that all he's known in life is cricket and that he's a quiet guy who doesn't like to get involved in things. There's surely more to the man than meets the eye (you'd hope so anyway).

As I've said though, its friggin weird he's doing it whilst still playing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also re: Dravid going into politics, would rather for the time being by some miracle he get in charge of Karnataka and then Indian cricket and rescue it from its mess.

Wishful thinking I know.

Burgey

Sachin's done plenty of charity work (as someone with his ridiculous amount of money should), and I'm sure he has a view on what is right and the absolute bucketload that is wrong with India at this moment.

He's also one of the more overly patriotic players in the Indian team. Something which shouldn't be that surprising considering what the country has given him I guess.

It does not surprise me that he'd consider going into Politics really, even if it doesn't fit with the main view that all he's known in life is cricket and that he's a quiet guy who doesn't like to get involved in things. There's surely more to the man than meets the eye (you'd hope so anyway).

As I've said though, its friggin weird he's doing it whilst still playing.
I've done lots of charity work too mate. It's pretty different to being a political activist. My point was this seems to have come out of the blue to a lot of people who stalk/ follow him a lot more closely than I do. I suspect even Harsha Bhogle may have been surprised, and I get the impression Harsha regularly goes through Sachin's rubbish bins.

There seems to be some suggestion this is a ceremonial/ symbolic position. Is that the case?

Anyway, if it goes pear-shaped, I blame the Carbon Tax and Gillard must resign.