Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition (aka WWIII) - No 13 - 15

Starting our top 15 countdown

Number 15 Adam Gilchrist

Highest Ranking 4
    Total Points 524
    Number of Votes Received 43/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 18

Going in first or seventh, wearing whites or coloureds, Adam Gilchrist was the symbolic heart of Australia's steamrolling agenda and the most exhilarating cricketer of the modern age. He was simultaneously a cheerful throwback to more innocent times, a flap-eared country boy who walked when given not out in a World Cup semi-final, and swatted his second ball for six while sitting on a Test pair. "Just hit the ball," is how he once described his philosophy on batting, and he seldom strayed from it. Employing a high-on-the-handle grip, he poked good balls into gaps and throttled most others, invariably with head straight, wrists soft and balance sublime. Only at the death did he jettison the textbook, whirling his bat like a hammer-thrower, caring only for the scoreboard and never his average. Still he managed to score at a tempo - 81 per 100 balls in Tests, 96 in one-dayers - that made Viv Richards and Gilbert Jessop look like stick-in-the-muds.

Climbing 12 places from last time we have the beloved of this forum (PEWS is more like it), the one and only,

Number 14 Jacques Kallis

Highest Ranking 3
    Total Points 534
    Number of Votes Received 43/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 26

No batsman prizes his wicket more highly, and no wicket in all of cricket is more highly prized. Jacques Kallis is the broad-shouldered colossus of the South African team, a figure whose looming presence inspires calm in some and dread in others. Few players who belong to the modern age are a better fit for the notion of the classical cricketer. Kallis is a fine, forceful batsman who has at his disposal both a rock-solid technique and a mind impervious to distraction. Though his role as a bowler diminishes with each passing season, he will be remembered as a purveyor of sometimes surprising pace and swing, and awkward bounce. In the slips, his sure-handedness and rattlesnake reflexes make ridiculous catches look regulation.

The prince of the Caribbean comes next in our list being well ahead in terms of points from the 14th ranked player

Number 13 Brian Lara

Highest Ranking 4
    Total Points 616
    Number of Votes Received 51/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 15

No-one since Bradman has built massive scores as often and as fast as Lara in his pomp. Even his stance was thrilling - the bat raised high in the air, the weight poised on a bent front knee, the eyes low and level. Then the guillotine would fall, sending the ball flashing to the boundary. In the space of two months in 1994, Lara's 375 and 501 not out broke world records for the highest Test and first-class scores, but sudden fame turned him into a confused and contradictory figure. During an inventive but largely fruitless spell as captain of a fading team, Lara reiterated his genius by single-handedly defying the 1998-99 Australian tourists with a sequence of 213, 8, 153 not out and 100. For a while, excess weight and hamstring problems hampered his once-lightning footwork, and the torrent of runs became an occasional spurt. But after Garry Sobers suggested a tweak to his flourishing backlift, Lara returned to his best in Sri Lanka in 2001-02, with 221 and 130 in one Test and 688 runs - a record 42% of West Indies' output - in the series, and reclaimed the captaincy the following year.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 06-04-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    [B]
    Number 14 Prince_EWS Kallis

Number 13 Brian Laura
    I wouldn't, tbh. Ought to change the Kallis picture too, far too big.

didn't notice the Lara thing tbh (might be because I was looking up Laura brannigan on youtube )

the Kallis thing was good fun I thought but I have changed it...the Kallis picture is fine

Dude don't troll your own hard work. Please put proper names of the players.

And didn't you say that Akram had most votes of the players ranked 11-20? These 3 have more votes than him clearly.

Of these I had Kallis at #13 and Lara at #19. Curious to see if the composition of top 10 changes this time. Murali and McGrath only ones left to challenge the previous top 10 now.
    Last edited by ankitj; 06-04-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post

And didn't you say that Akram had most votes of the players ranked 11-20? These 3 have more votes than him clearly.
    I said he had more votes than most in the 11-20 list

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    No, these three clearly had more votes than Wasim in the top 10, which considering their highest placings is unsurprising.

~~

I don't have an issue with any of these being ranked so high, though Kallis didn't make my list. Any of them can be said to be comfortably the best ever at what they did.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 06-04-2012 at 01:13 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer jaideep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    didn't notice the Lara thing tbh (might be because I was looking up Laura brannigan on youtube )

the Kallis thing was good fun I thought but I have changed it...the Kallis picture is fine
    Are you sure Lara's highest ranking is 4 or you did not take my list into consideration?

Controversy!

State Captain
    if ur going to do 3 at a time do it everyday smalishah84
    Member of the bring back Bruce Campbell Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by jaideep View Post
    Are you sure Lara's highest ranking is 4 or you did not take my list into consideration?
    hmmm....I think you are right.....

I think we did miss your list. I am extremely sorry Jaideep.

I just looked up your email and I think what may have happened is that you sent your list as an attachment in .txt file and pretty much everyone else had put the list in the text of the email. NUFAN was collating the data and hence he might have missed out on it

The funny thing is, I'm not even the one who put Kallis at #3.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I had ridiculously omitted Gilly, a bad oversight. I think I'd have had him in my top 15 had I remembered his ears.

Had each of Lara and Kallis, though neither this high.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The funny thing is, I'm not even the one who put Kallis at #3.
    It's not that funny really.

I know KingKallis had Kallis very high, not that surprising really.

Sorry Jaideep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information