• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fake sympathy, or delayed concern?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I recall a game against Zim with Zondeki bowling garbage in the 1st innings. He was hit out of the park, in the second innings he was very angry. Bowling missisles at the batsmen. They all folded to his intimidation. Granted it was zimbabwe, but from then on i realised what they meant by the saying, good guys always finnish last. Spill blood on the pitch i say and make the game interesting!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Basically, if they stay on their feet, they're fit to compete. If their legs give way, check they're okay.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and if they say they are, but don't get back up, you're free to kick them

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Don't really care either way quite frankly. You should play with maximum intensity always, and provided you stay within the rules at all times you can do whatever the hell you like as far as I'm concerned. If a bowler hits a batsman with a legit delivery then whether he apologises or not is up to him (bit different if he hits him with a beamer or course). But I don't think there should be a general ethos that a bowler should be obliged to apologise, I imagine any batsman worth their salt would agree, what sort of batsman would demand an apology from a bowler if he hit him on the body after all?

"Ow, that hurt, apologise to me right now". Nah, screw that, if you don't want to get hit then get out of the way of the next one and play the damn game.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think it's also wrong to assume that bowlers want to hurt batsmen. If I bowl a short ball it's to either get them out, stop the scoring or to get them on the back foot if they're driving me well. Occasionally if they're a bit of a prick and are being annoying, I'll intend to hurt them, but even then I don't want them to be seriously hurt, and would most likely check whether they are ok.

Don't have a problem if bowlers don't check if the batsmen is ok though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think there's a difference between apologising and checking if a batsman's alright, obviously.

EDIT: I mean, even the world's most unemotional fast bowler wants to check if the batsman's OK in this clip. But it doesn't mean that he feels the need to apologise.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I wouldn't apologise to be honest, would want to make sure they're ok though.

What I love is that the bowler hits the batsmen, apologises, asks them if they're ok, and duly bowls another one aimed for the batsmen's head.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Freddie commiserating with Brett Lee at Edgbaston '05 after apparently trying to kill him for a couple of hours was one of the finest things I've ever seen

cpr

International Coach
Its the way of cricket. Smack them in the face and you check if they are ok. Hit them on their other head and everyone (including their teammates) start laughing at their agony.

As it rightly should be IMO.