• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Maybe. I didn't watch SA's innings today, so I can't say for certain but you would think that they would have wanted a few extra overs with the new ball.
I just can't see why they needed that many runs. They weren't going to lose the test, so the series result was never in jeopardy.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Such a good knock from Kane. How can you not love him?

Any ut00bs of Steyn's comments? Was classic.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I just can't see why they needed that many runs. They weren't going to lose the test, so the series result was never in jeopardy.
I think it was a stink declaration too and he got his just deserts when it ended in a draw. But from his POV - look at what Sobers went through when he made his infamous sporting declaration it tarnished his entire career,

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think it was a stink declaration too and he got his just deserts when it ended in a draw. But from his POV - look at what Sobers went through when he made his infamous sporting declaration it tarnished his entire career,
Tarnished his career? in WHO'S EYES? :blink: certainly not ours mate!! :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh no doubt, and I completely support Smith (and Dravid in England in 07 and anyone else in a similar position) ensuring that they cannot lose the test before even attempting to win it.

But, and its a big but, I think the possibility of a loss was already out of the question considering the time left in the test. NZ would have had to get a lead and then take 10 South African wickets in one day's play. Impossible.
Nah Jono, South Africa batted twice.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'm pretty satisfied with that result. Normally I'd be annoyed but the bowling attack of the South Africans was awesome. Definitely some of the best bowling I've ever seen but Williamson in particular did well tactically targeting De Lange and Duminy and just defending some lethal stuff from Steyn, Philander and in particular Morne Morkel today.

Tick for Williamson and Van Wyk.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Oh no doubt, and I completely support Smith (and Dravid in England in 07 and anyone else in a similar position) ensuring that they cannot lose the test before even attempting to win it.

But, and its a big but, I think the possibility of a loss was already out of the question considering the time left in the test. NZ would have had to get a lead and then take 10 South African wickets in one day's play. Impossible.
I am not sure if I am reading this right - I am sure I have misunderstood. NZ were batting last and SA had finished their two innings.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Anyway as for this game, well the lack of a quality spinner once again came back to bite SA, yes their pace attack is without doubt top class but pace isn't always gonna get the job done, the same thing happened to them against Pak in the UAE, and btw them commentators need to QUIT trying to compare them to our famous bowling attack of the 80s!!.. SA's is good like i said but lets not go over board now!! 8-) ,

As for NZ, well they tried thier best but their batting line-up just didn't have enough quality and i'm sorry but Vetorri just doesn't look dangerous anymore!!, Williamson done well today but he's not gonna get dropped four times in one day very often, so he should thank his lucky stars tonight :D , Gillespie picked up some wickets but to me he was way too expensive,

Looking ahead i can't wait to see Eng vs SA and also looking forward to NZ coming to the Caribbean!!..a series i'm VERY confident about tbh, especially if Taylor doesn't travel :cool: .

Mike5181

International Captain
Player ratings:

1.Daniel Flynn- 4/10
2.Martin Guptill- 4.5/10
3.Brendon McCullum- 4/10
4.Ross Taylor-
5.Kane Williamson- 8/10
6.Dean Brownlie- 3/10
7.Daniel Vettori- 1/10
8.Kruger Van Wyk+- 6/10
9.Doug Bracewell- 4/10
10.Mark Gillespie- 7/10
11.Chris Martin- 4/10

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Gayle pfft...he is no match for Gillespie's Beamers.:ph34r:

On a serious note do you fancy an avatar bet for the series. Windies win you win, NZ wins I win, a draw and no one wins.
Hurricane it would be too easy mate!!!..i don't think the result is even in question tbh!! :laugh: ,