• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland unveil Test cricket vision

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wish them every success. You'd need to have a pretty stoney heart not to be pulling for the Irish in this.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good luck to them! They've totally won me over in the last two World Cups, so I'd love to see them really progress.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see them go for it, I really hope it works out. Here's hoping to see them at Lords in 2020... would be great.

hazsa19

International Regular
I hope they make it, but it needs to be sensible. International cricket doesn't need another whipping boy.

Last edited:

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Ireland's chances depends upon Bangladesh's or Zimbabwe's development as much as their own. There is no way we need another minnow in test cricket. If Bangladesh or Zimbabwe can't get off the bottom by 2020 then there is no way they would add another team.

Mind you if Bangladesh still has not developed by 2020 then Ireland should probably come in to replace them and we should give up Bangladesh.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Unlikely to see the Scots play tests in my lifetime so I've been gunning for the Irish since that win against Pakistan in 07.

juro

U19 12th Man
They should totally restructure memberships. Test membership should be based on performances, not be a permanent status. If you are good enough, come up. If you can't hack it, go down. Top Intercontinental Cup team gets promoted every year, while bottom Test nation gets relegated.

Yes, I know Ireland didn't win the last Intercontinental Cup. But that is at least partially due to it not leading to anything.

In the meantime, give Ireland the call up. Test cricket needs more good news stories...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I think Ireland's chances depends upon Bangladesh's or Zimbabwe's development as much as their own. There is no way we need another minnow in test cricket. If Bangladesh or Zimbabwe can't get off the bottom by 2020 then there is no way they would add another team.

Mind you if Bangladesh still has not developed by 2020 then Ireland should probably come in to replace them and we should give up Bangladesh.
Don't see whats wrong with a 'tier 2' league and a promotion system tbh.

Anyway, we are still a long way off, as the plan indicates. Once we've set up a domestic structure and made cricket more professional, I could see this happening.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
On the contrary I do think A few more 'minnow' test nations is just what test cricket needs. Having the likes of Ireland pushing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh from behind could be the very tonic needed to push them to close the gap with the mainstream test nations as well developing new rivalries and traditions to complement the already existing ones that would bring test cricket a new audience. As a Kenyan I look at where Ireland are now and think, that should have been us. Best of luck to them and may they be the ones to break the glass ceiling.

Debris

International 12th Man
I have never understood why you would exclude a country from playing test cricket. The only thing you have to get rid of is this stupid requirement that every team play every other test team. Then if Ireland and Afghanistan can organise a test between them, why not. I can't see it having anything but benefits for cricket.

The only people it would upset is those who are anal about statistics and, frankly, they need to be upset.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have never understood why you would exclude a country from playing test cricket. The only thing you have to get rid of is this stupid requirement that every team play every other test team. Then if Ireland and Afghanistan can organise a test between them, why not. I can't see it having anything but benefits for cricket.

The only people it would upset is those who are anal about statistics and, frankly, they need to be upset.
Came here to say this, quite precisely.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Ireland seem to produce quite a number of good players compared to other minnows and more to the point if you look at the current crop of Irish players at least, there's a pretty solid foundation for a team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If they get it, they have to hope their players don't lose the benefits they currently get in training etc with county clubs, because IMO if they lose that then they're screwed.

Also, are the full Test regulations for importing players the same as the ODI regs?