• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland unveil Test cricket vision

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How does test status get officially confirmed? Is it just a simple vote at ICC level? What makes Zimbabwe eligible but not Ireland?
I believe it's 8 out of 10 of the full members have to vote you in. Zimbabwe is eligible because they were voted in 1991/1992 - I am not sure what the procedure was back then. They are still eligible simply because the other members haven't stripped them of their status yet. You don't qualify for Test status every year - once you have it, you have it until/unless it is revoked by the other members.

Zimbabwe even when they weren't playing Test cricket, they still had Test status (e.g Zimbabwe had a full vote on the ICC). Their exile was technically "self imposed" (though nudged by other countries) but if they had played a match vs. one of the other Test sides, the match would have had Test status.

It's more than simple 'status' - there are lots of political and financial reprucssions. One, Ireland now have a full vote on the ICC member list, which could affect the balance of power. Second, and I think more importantly, Ireland would not be a net revenue generator - right now it's really BCCI, ECB, ACB and CSA that really "Generate" revenue for the ICC (and tbf it's actually mostly BCCI, ECB and ACB in that order) so when it comes time to split the pie, now you have another member to split that revenue with, which means everyone gets less money overall (which would be a bigger deal to the smaller countries since they need the money more). And finally, the big countries now have to tour yet another country, which means less money compared to a random ODI series that could have been scheduled instead, against India, or Australia or ECB.

Theoretically Test status should be based on cricketing ability only, but cricket is not FIFA, and there are a lot more factors at play.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Though I think Ireland have a good professional setup and they will make it so that it's impossible not to grant them Test status at some point in the future. I'm always for bringing more people into the fold, if they can sustain it though I am a bit wary of having another situation like SLC where they are in such terrible financial shape that they can barely pay their own players. But Ireland seems to be way ahead of the SLC in terms of having a good solid transparent setup, which can minimize instances of mismanagement and I think they will also have much less to worry about re: political interference.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Would be wonderful for Ireland if all of their plans come off; hope they do it - would be good for cricket long term.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty hard fought match v. kenya so far in the Intercontinental cup as always is the case even if Ireland have been winning more often than not. The Woolf Report recommends at least 2 more full members so that would be a good rivalry to revitalize test cricket

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty hard fought match v. kenya so far in the Intercontinental cup as always is the case even if Ireland have been winning more often than not. The Woolf Report recommends at least 2 more full members so that would be a good rivalry to revitalize test cricket
Did the report not also say that Full Membership shouldn't automatically confer Test status?

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that Test Status is a special achievement and should be given to those countries who have reached a very high level. But I also think that door should not be closed and every country should receive some consideration.

If I were the Head of ICC, I would devise this plan for Ireland:

Starting from 2013, every team which tour England should play one game (3 or 4-days) in Ireland. For example: in 2013, Australia and New Zealand will come to England. So before starting the test series, they will play one game versus Ireland. And so on. Then, Ireland should play some games outside Ireland, against A-Teams (India A, Pakistan A, Australia A and so on). In addition, before the beginning of the season of county cricket, Ireland should play at least two games against major counties. All these games will be given FIRST CLASS STATUS, BUT THEY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED TEST MATCHES. So, the history and the statistics of test cricket will be preserved.

After four years (2017), there will be the evaluation. If Ireland have been competitive in these games, they might be awarded the test status. If not, they have to wait other four years.

I think this plan would be fair. Ireland would be given the opportunity to play against tougher teams, but they would be given the test status only if they have reached a good level.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
I agree with you Stefano a more realistic and fair approach. I don't see why the touring sides have to play county teams, who are usually not at full strength. Why not play Ireland who will provide a good challenge.

Also as for the ICC cup today. Ireland's wickets were all taken by our two spinners, that has to be a record?, 36 out of the 40 total wickets were from spinners hmmm. Joyce batted superbly in the second innings, looked really composed.

Though a lot of the team woke up today sick, Kenya/Delhi belly?. So that's why Joyce retired hurt this morning and went back into bat at 10 with Dockrell at 11. Those two suffered the most.

I never heard of this happening to so many in one team before :blink:...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as the running stomachs go I've got 2 hypotheses. 1 the water, Mombasa water treatment is a joke. 2 the snack vendors around the hotels. Moving on, yes test brakev can only get richer when new teams come on board with new rivalries, traditions and narratives. So long as they can guarantee a good standard of players then by all means let them in.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
So you'd agree to keep them out then until they can guarantee a good standard of player.
The way things are you can't generate the resources needed for the required standard of player without getting in but can't get in without generating the right standard of player so to speak. So if that little catch 22 can be broken then yes I agree.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
I think that Test Status is a special achievement and should be given to those countries who have reached a very high level. But I also think that door should not be closed and every country should receive some consideration.

If I were the Head of ICC, I would devise this plan for Ireland:

Starting from 2013, every team which tour England should play one game (3 or 4-days) in Ireland. For example: in 2013, Australia and New Zealand will come to England. So before starting the test series, they will play one game versus Ireland. And so on. Then, Ireland should play some games outside Ireland, against A-Teams (India A, Pakistan A, Australia A and so on). In addition, before the beginning of the season of county cricket, Ireland should play at least two games against major counties. All these games will be given FIRST CLASS STATUS, BUT THEY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED TEST MATCHES. So, the history and the statistics of test cricket will be preserved.

After four years (2017), there will be the evaluation. If Ireland have been competitive in these games, they might be awarded the test status. If not, they have to wait other four years.

I think this plan would be fair. Ireland would be given the opportunity to play against tougher teams, but they would be given the test status only if they have reached a good level.
A massive issue I would raise with the ICC doing something like this would be that Ireland have not comprehensively proven themselves to be the next best nation in the longer format of the game. The fact that they didn't even make the top 3 of the last Intercontinental Cup shows that.

I do like the idea but think that it should include more nations than just Ireland.

I also think purely looking at their best XI being able to prove themselves as capable is a slightly foolish way to go. I definitely believe they need to have some form of FC competition they are involved in and not just one that has been going for a couple of season.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
As far as the running stomachs go I've got 2 hypotheses. 1 the water, Mombasa water treatment is a joke. 2 the snack vendors around the hotels. Moving on, yes test brakev can only get richer when new teams come on board with new rivalries, traditions and narratives. So long as they can guarantee a good standard of players then by all means let them in.
Vending machines, really?, Andruid :O...

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Same thing happened during the WCL Div1 in 2006. We played like **** because most of the boys had the ....ermm. IIRC one game even had to be abandoned because there weren't enough Canadian players to put on the field.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Ha really?, looking at the results we didn't do too well. How come vending machines can be risky to eat from? :dry:...

turnstyle

State 12th Man
At first glance it looks pretty dire - we almost lost to Bermuda - but in fairness the bowlers were down with the trotts. At the time I don't think anyone knew but it also turned out to be the qualifier for the first t20 world cup which was a bit odd since it was a 50ov tournament. Kenya did the associate world proud that year :dry:

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
At first glance it looks pretty dire - we almost lost to Bermuda - but in fairness the bowlers were down with the trotts. At the time I don't think anyone knew but it also turned out to be the qualifier for the first t20 world cup which was a bit odd since it was a 50ov tournament. Kenya did the associate world proud that year :dry:
A 50 over tournament was the qualifier for the T20 WC?, and nobody knew till it was over?, :dry:...