• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Test Bowling Spells - A working project

Spark

Global Moderator
That Michael Clarke was only denied a spell in the top 200 by the win/loss is ****ing hilarious.

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
First day of a momentous Ashes tour. Australia all out for 190. England celebrate and then are made to look like school children by Glenn McGrath. Great occasion, great ground, great bowler, great spell.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Top effort, DoG. I understand that the number of wickets taken count for a lot in this exercise. All the top spells are invariably 8-fers or 9-fers. I also gather that the quality of batsmen dismissed influence these ratings. Not sure if you were able to factor in the pitch situation appropriately though?

A few thoughts, if I may be allowed to:

1) Dennis Lillee

I know it's not technically a test, but would you consider rating DK's at Perth v the World XI please?
AWTA. Also DK's 27/7 against RSA in Johannesburg, 1975-76, if you can.

Sticking with Lillee, I'd personally place his 10-fer at Oval, 1972 above the 83/7 (MCG, 1981) or even his Centenary test spell. The Aus team which left for English shores on the 1972 tour were thorough underdogs, set to regain the Ashes against a much stronger opposition (on paper). Plus, the Oval track was absolutely placid and then there was the added pressure of trailing 2-1 in the series. Add to that the intangible factor of discovering for the first time as a 23-yr-old athlete that he had back problems.

I'd say that 58/5 in the first innings, in particular, was perhaps Lillee's best ever performance on a cricket field. A match where Ashley Mallet and Deadly (spinners) were the star performers. Deserves to be up there, IMHO.

2) Glenn McGrath
As a lot of others have mentioned, McGrath's 5-fer at Lord's 2005 deserves to be higher up for sheer impact value. Better than his 24/8 at Perth, I'd say. And the fact that he completely dominated a very good English top order, dismantling the furniture seemingly at will. Never have I seen a ground's natural attributes (slope, in this case) used to such great effect.

Best spell I've ever seen.
From a man who's perhaps seen a lot more cricket than I have. But my sentiments are the same.

3) Andy Roberts

The first innings 7-fer at Madras (then) in 1974-75 deserves to be up there, IMHO. Took 12 in the test where no other pace bowler made any impact.

4) Typhoon

The Typhoon's spell has moved into the top 5.
Up there with the best things a man can do on a cricket forum. Top stuff, sir! :clap:

5) Malcolm Marshall

List needs more Marshall.
And I agree. This 29-5 on a low and slow Sydney deck worth considering, perhaps?

On the whole, cheers for the list, man. A very interesting thread for me!

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Millseh 4/16 vs Eng
Southee 5/55 vs Eng
Martin 5/63 vvs Ind
Shakib 7/36 vs NZ, 6/99 vs SA, 5/62 vs Ind
Kasper 7/36 vs Eng, 5/30 vs Pak

/randomlist