• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela Jayawardene

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Critically disagree. Sehwag is not a FTB (as well as Mahela) because they pile runs on dust bowls where others fail to lay a bat on ball.
No, only swinging and bouncy tracks where crap and utterly ****ty fast bowlers end up with 5-fers are non-flat tracks.

We don't give a damn to spin bowling in spin-friendly conditions. That's not the highest form of cricket. In fact, that should be banned.

ganeshran

International Debutant
You cannot judge a batsmen solely based on averages in certain countries especially where they have played a handful of tests.

Hussey for example averages 31 in England and NZ, 32 in South Africa and 22 in Windies. He is not labelled a home track bully for his poor performances overseas

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You cannot judge a batsmen solely based on averages in certain countries especially where they have played a handful of tests.

Hussey for example averages 31 in England and NZ, 32 in South Africa and 22 in Windies. He is not labelled a home track bully for his poor performances overseas
Haha; bad example if you're arguing with GF.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Amazing :lol:

Of course he is.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Havent seen that sentiment expressed that Hussey is a HTB a lot. Most cricket experts consider him a fine batsman and rate him highly

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Havent seen that sentiment expressed that Hussey is a HTB a lot. Most cricket experts consider him a fine batsman and rate him highly
that's because he's successful in australia, one of the few places where the pitches are true cricketing pitches. You'll be hard pressed to find a batsman who is considered a true great that hasn't done well in australia. lol. (edit: lara doesn't count because of he has like 2 double hundreds in aus).

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
No it isn't.
Nah! FTB meant they may have trouble facing swing or bounce. But they can still be greats. Most of the cricket world consider Sehwag, Jayawardene to be greats. Problem with samaraweera is that he scored less than 1000 career runs away from SC. Obviously it has more to do with their schedule but now that he did ok in england, better in SA, slowly more people will realize he is actually a very good to great batsman

ganeshran

International Debutant
Nah! FTB meant they may have trouble facing swing or bounce. But they can still be greats. Most of the cricket world consider Sehwag, Jayawardene to be greats. Problem with samaraweera is that he scored less than 1000 career runs away from SC. Obviously it has more to do with their schedule but now that he did ok in england, better in SA, slowly more people will realize he is actually a very good to great batsman
What if a batsman does quite well against swing and bounce but fails against spin?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
That is what I meant, a fine batsman can be a HTB. They are mutually exclusive.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That is what I meant, a fine batsman can be a HTB. They are mutually exclusive.
"Mutually exclusive" means that they can't be the same thing at the same time. You've got that wrong.

I was agreeing with you by saying they weren't mutually exclusive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"Mutually exclusive" means that they can't be the same thing at the same time. You've got that wrong.

I was agreeing with you by saying they weren't mutually exclusive.
:laugh:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I found this particular miscommunication pretty ****ing hilarious. Sorry.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
(Excluding BAN)

Ponting averages 50+, bur averages 39.5 in SC -> called "Legend"
Steve Waugh averages 50+, but 32.2 in SC -. Called legend
Pietersen averages 50+, on SC 34.6 -> not a "FTB"

MJ averages 50+, 36 out side SC -> FTB
Sam averages 50+, 38 outside SC -> FTB
Sehwag averages 50+, 36 outside SC -> FTB

See the hypocrisy?

Last edited: