Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Draft Version 3.0

Sheep Draft Version 3.0

Xmas afternoon and my mrs. is sleeping so I'm kind of bored, but keen to run another Sheep Draft..

For those not familiar with the first or second Sheep Drafts, I'll ask 3 questions at a time for example:

Q1- Select a Cricket with a highest Test score over 260?
    Q2 - Select a Cricketer who's first or last name starts with M?
    Q3 - Select a Cricketer with a highest Test score below 80?

You email your answers to me, if someone else selects the same player as you, neither of you get that player. You then have a second and third chance, but after 3 unsuccessful attempts another selector gets to chose a player for you, so you are most likely left with the worst player possible.

If for example person X selects Chris Martin for Q2, while person Y selects Chris Martin for Q3, Q2 will get them.

There will be 4 rounds in total (3 questions per round), giving you a chance to balance your final XI a bit more as you'll have no idea what questions are coming.

I'll start this thing once we get at least 8 people, you'll need to go onto CW once a day really to help get yourself a decent team as you have 24 hours to submit your answers..

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    wanna be in so much but got a new york trip lined up from Monday how much time will we get, nufan?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cancel the trip mate. Sheep Draft > Times Square, lol

Depending on numbers, I was keen to ask the first 3 questions tomorrow during the Cricket, I think we'll all get have our teams completed within two weeks.

I'll be a little more relaxed over NYE too. How long is your trip HB?

It starts in 36 hours time and I ll be back by 31st morning, Australian time, I think..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    sounds good
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cool I reckon you'll be fine, unless you keep picking players that others have picked and you go to the third and final chance for the first set of questions.

We'll probably just get through the first round and I would have asked the questions for the second round, but wont have said pass or fail until the new year. Enjoy your trip!

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    I'd rather go to New York than do a sheep draft but, to be fair, there's not much in it - thoroughly enjoyed the last two (in fact did we ever finished the second?) so as the only trip I actually have planned in the next week is across town to my sister in law's birthday party I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    You email your answers to me, if someone else selects the same player as you, neither of you get that player. You then have a second and third chance, but after 3 unsuccessful attempts another selector gets to chose a player for you, so you are most likely left with the worst player possible.
    I'm a bit confused - does this mean you pick 3 choices for each question?
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cool Fred. We finished the second one, but perhaps not the first one. You actually came third last time..

FIRST PLACE
    BLAKUS with 11 points

SECOND PLACE
    MATT79, 8 points

THIRD PLACE
    FREDFERTANG, 5 points

Sheep Draft Version 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I'm a bit confused - does this mean you pick 3 choices for each question?
    It is slightly confusing, but I think it works out well if we get members who are keen to take part and have some fun.

Say I ask the 3 questions..

Q1- Select a Cricket with a highest Test score over 260?
    HB - Bradman
    Fredfertang - Gooch
    Howe - Bradman
    Smali - Gayle

Q2 - Select a Cricketer who's first or last name starts with M?

HB - Mushtaq Mohammed
    Fred - Murali
    Howe - Malcolm Marshall
    Smali - Murali

Q3 - Select a Cricketer with a highest Test score below 80?

HB - Warne
    Fred - Pattinson
    Howe - Murali
    Smali - Chris Martin

So when I ask a question everyone has 24 hours to submit answers to the 3 questions. They email them to me (sheepdraft@hotmail.com) but I'll repeat the email address again later.

I then look at all the emails and say if you've passed of failed, if you fail you get a further 24 hours to submit a new answer and if you fail again you get another 24 hours. If you fail that, other people can select a player for you and they should select someone rubbish.

So in the above example.
    Question 1 (a) Fred passes, Smali passes and Howe and HB would need to go again.
    Question 2 (a) HB and Howe passes, Fred and Smali have to go again
    Question 3 (a) Fred and Smali pass, Howe doesn't because Murali was chosen in Q2 and HB doesn't cause Warne actually has a score above 80.

Note if Fred decided to go with Chris Martin in Q2 (b) he would fail as Q3 (a) Martin was chosen.

I hope that makes sense. For questions 3, 6, 9 and 12 especially I'll make pretty general questions with lots of answers so people don't get annoyed with someone already picking their playing in a previous question.

I'll also keep a record of players disqualified - they become disqualified when more than player picks them.

StatsGuru is your friend in Sheep Draft
    Last edited by NUFAN; 24-12-2011 at 11:37 PM.

okies then.. I am in

Bleat Bleat.....I am in too

Good stuff. I'll ask the first 3 questions tomorrow when the Aus vs. India Test is about to start.

how many people usually participate. Did Fred end up coming 3rd in a total of 3 participants?

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    how many people usually participate. Did Fred end up coming 3rd in a total of 3 participants?
    We had 11 last time. 8 to 12 is a good amount, but if we get more or less I'll change the questions accordingly.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information