• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test Series That Never Was

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
:)

Do anyone know how the South Africans looked upon four of their players turning out for a mixed-race team? Seems weird...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is very little written about these matches although, having just finished this piece, I then learned that there is a book being published in the New Year so that may contain some answers to that question and, the one that for me is more interesting, being what did the West Indian, Pakistani and Indian Boards and Governments thought of their players standing shoulder to shoulder with South Africans in what, at the time anyway, purported to be Test Matches - they can't have been impressed as this situation was covered in the 1977 Gleneagles Agreement, but I don't recall any sort of outcry at the time - 'twas a more innocent age of course, even if eyes were at last being opened!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Contrary to popular myth they didn't come around and raid Alan Jones wardrobe to take back the cap he was presented with. In fact he still has it and it could be worth quite a bit of money as a unique piece of cricket memorabilia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another excellent piece, fred.

It's a topic that has a bit of a fasciantion for me; I think there's a decent documentary film to be made about it.

To read that the RotW players didn't see it as having quite a test intensity is quite sobering given the result. The England team, transitional as it may have been, was clearly a pretty good one as the winter tour showed.

I CBA to do the leg work, but it would be interesting to see whose test figures would improve or worsen with the addition of these games. Illingworth in particular seemed to excel.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I did that once, for both this series and the 71/72 one in Australia (and WSC as well). Don't know where it is now though...I must still have it somewhere.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers averaged 73 with the bat and 21 with the ball over that series - I was only 10 at the time but could still appreciate the way he made the ball talk that first morning at Lord's and above all else that convinces me he was a genuine all-rounder - cometh the hour cometh the man and all that - the bloke was absolutely immense that summer

Dissector

International Debutant
This is a fascinating series and a good read. As mentioned it's truly ironic that the D'Olivera controvery and the cancellation of the South Africa tour lead to the creation of a mixed race team with South Africans, West Indians and others, which was one of the greatest teams every to set foot on a cricket field.

Is this the first cricket series televised in colour? I remember watching the highlights a long time back and I don't think I have seen earlier cricket footage in colour.