• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do with Sri Lanka?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While I agree Chandimal should be in around the squad, I don't see a way to accomodate him in the side as you say. SL's 3-6 is surprisingly solid unless he could come in for Samaraweera in away games? Which would be pushing it seeing as Thilan has been the 2nd best performer all in all.

Could be an option. Sangakarra to bowl first change, Samraraweera and Dilshan to make up the 5th bowler.
Could just make Mathews open the batting.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could... and while I don't think it's an awful idea. I reckon Mathew's entire spine would disintegrate under the pressure of opening. Literally crumble into dust.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Too many on-field and off-field problems these days. They're having board elections for the first time after 7-8 years, but I don't think any major change will take place as far as the way of management is concerned.

Sri Lankan domestic structure isn't competitive enough to manufacture talent, so they can't come out to the international level and play themselves to glory straightaway. Identified players should be given a decent run at the highest level without too many cutting and chopping.

Himannv

International Coach
Could just make Mathews open the batting.
Fairly popular option and I'm on the bandwagon as well. I don't think he could do any worse than our current openers at this stage. Would give us a team like this:

Dilshan* (sigh)
Angelo Mathews
Kumar Sangakkara
Dinesh Chandimal
Mahela Jayawardena
Thilan Samaraweera
Kaushal Silva+
Nuwan Kulasekara
Rangana Herath
Chanaka Welegedara
Dhammika Prasad

Unfortunately the sports minister didn't like Kula and has sent Kanishka Alvitigala instead.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
He certainly has better technique than Dilshan so logically it's possible. However I think it might be better to bring him in at 3 or 4 against this SA attack. He is still young and inexperienced after all.
I'll be honest and admit that I've never watched him bat before. I was just trying to find a way to fit him in, and SL's weakness seems to be their openers. If Chandimal comes in at 4, who loses out? Is there no way that Sanga would consider taking the gloves as this would kick out Silva and let a better batsman like Chandimal get a deserved place?

Himannv

International Coach
I'll be honest and admit that I've never watched him bat before. I was just trying to find a way to fit him in, and SL's weakness seems to be their openers. If Chandimal comes in at 4, who loses out? Is there no way that Sanga would consider taking the gloves as this would kick out Silva and let a better batsman like Chandimal get a deserved place?
Silly move to give Sanga the gloves, particularly in light of his recent hand injury. Its better to let Chandimal keep actually, since he's actually done it a bit.

ganeshran

International Debutant
He certainly has better technique than Dilshan so logically it's possible. However I think it might be better to bring him in at 3 or 4 against this SA attack. He is still young and inexperienced after all.

Yes.
If Chandimal can open, cant they play him instead of Paranavitana?

Himannv

International Coach
If Chandimal can open, cant they play him instead of Paranavitana?
He has better technique than Dilshan but that doesn't necessarily mean he's an ideal opener. Seems a bit premature to throw him into the role. I suppose its an option, but one that I don't have too much confidence in.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
They've gone completely off the rails. All their star batsmen bar one are in horrific form and the bowling stocks are dubious tstl.

Is there anyone in domestic cricket who can be called up? How do CWers see the way forward for Sri Lanka? I have no doubt they will be back, but I'm not sure they have the players in place right now to do it.
Well, Sam did well in both innings and got two jaffas to content with. More worrying is the dropping of catches. 5 frikking catches going down gives a sick feeling. Fernando bowling the spell of his life time ended with 1/110 odd instead of 7/90 odd, and Sl would have not copped an innings defeat.

SL selectors are stupid. They are just not picking the best bowlers for tests. Senanayake is waiting in the wings. Has been manhandling FC batsmen this season. Fast bowling stocks are down due to injuries. Thushara, Mathews, Nuwan Pradeep, Lakmal, Prasad and few others are also injured or half fit. add to that the admin worries.

We are in a real **** hole. HELP!!

MrPrez

International Debutant
Silly move to give Sanga the gloves, particularly in light of his recent hand injury. Its better to let Chandimal keep actually, since he's actually done it a bit.
You see, I'd missed that news too (hand injury). Yeah, give 'em to Chandimal, if he can keep. I value an extra batsman over better keeping anyday.

Himannv

International Coach
You see, I'd missed that news too (hand injury). Yeah, give 'em to Chandimal, if he can keep. I value an extra batsman over better keeping anyday.
Would rather have Kaushal Silva keep now that he's finally made the team after ages of deserving a shot at it. He hasn't impressed yet but he can cut it at this level imo.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Would rather have Kaushal Silva keep now that he's finally made the team after ages of deserving a shot at it. He hasn't impressed yet but he can cut it at this level imo.
You guys have quite a strange situation of having a talented youngster who can't find a spot despite you batting being fairly average atm.

Himannv

International Coach
You guys have quite a strange situation of having a talented youngster who can't find a spot despite you batting being fairly average atm.
If we look at the numbers, the logical solution is to drop Mahela and play Chandimal. Its just that no one wants to drop the best batsman in the country, simple as that.

Neither of the openers are particularly good so the most viable option at present is to have a makeshift opener (Mathews) and squeeze Chandimal into the team at 3 or 4. Trouble is that Mathews is good at playing pace and bounce but he's not that great against a moving ball.

Comes down to biting a bullet and making a decision. Anyway, regardless of what we change in terms of the batting order, this series will be a whitewash.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there no chance that Chandimal could be made into an opener?
No. Not the best against pace and has a weakness against short ball. Apart from Sanga, Mathews, PJ and to a degree MJ and Sam, almost all the SL batsmen struggle against short stuff.