• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good would Bradman have been at ODIs?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would his dominance of the longer form of the game translate well into the shorter form of the game? Discuss.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would his dominance of the longer form of the game translate well into the shorter form of the game? Discuss.
Scored a ton in 3 overs in an exhibition game once IIRC.

He'd probably have scored the first ever T20 double ton if it had existed in his day.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it strikes me that he would have regularly accomplished the type of record breaking score that Sehwag and Tendulkar have achieved in recent times.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, especially when you consider the weak opposition against which Sehwag has recently scored his record double hundred+, I should have thought Bradman would have surpassed this comfortably.

Ruckus

International Captain
Worse than Bangladesh?
Almost certaintly. It was up against a team from a place called Lithgow...and I can be pretty confident in saying that back in the 1930's the Lithgow cricket team would have been no more than complete amateurs. Even today I think they would have a pretty dire cricket team.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Karan, I think you need to substantiate. That's looks like a cooked up fact. SRs were not recorded in Bradman's time.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Karan, I think you need to substantiate. That's looks like a cooked up fact. SRs were not recorded in Bradman's time.
He had an alarming tendency to rack up big hundreds at a strike rate of over 75 in the innings that were recorded though.

abmk

State 12th Man
Only a few matches, the no of balls faced were missing.

Roughly Bradman's S/R in tests was around 58 .....

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

The * indicates that the S/R was extrapolated from the no of minutes at the crease for a few innings and it is not exact .....

I am not sure what Karan is on about ....

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Batsmen generally increase their strike rates in the shorter format. :) I am sure it wouldn't have been that difficult for Bradman to do the same.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To put that strike rate into perspective, Bradman scored around as quickly as Ponting in tests. So extrapolating from that, he'd probably average around 80 in ODIs and strike around 100 (given his batting average was twice his contemporaries and his strike rate was around 50% higher than his contemporaries).