• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Davisons day out

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What about it?
Am I wrong about Davison being a leftie or Richie Benaud being a rightie?:(

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
What about it?
Am I wrong about Davison being a leftie or Richie Benaud being a rightie?:(
yes.

but i also meant to refer to Davison as being as legendary as Richie. Richie is a Cricketing God, and Davo ain't that far behind

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
yes.

but i also meant to refer to Davison as being as legendary as Richie. Richie is a Cricketing God, and Davo ain't that far behind
What earned him near-Godship?
Richie earned it through a) being a fantastic bowler for a number of years and b) earning a rightful place as the second-greatest cricket-sage ever.
AFAIK Davison has done neither.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it's something like the AA thing - this man is a "hero of the people"

Also helps that he has slight links with CW...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Richie earned it through a) being a fantastic bowler for a number of years and b) earning a rightful place as the second-greatest cricket-sage ever.
Is it really worth bothering?:(

Do you have to take everything so seriously?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:

Sarcasm, and bravery against the odds.

To be fair, Richie's not a patch on Sobers or Imran if you take record into account. And anyway, lately his constant essays on the history of cricket and sportsmanship have been doing my nut in. He tends to say a lot that really doesn't need to be said. If only if only we had Aggers on Ch4 :). Instead we have what could turn out to be the worst pairing ever in Richie and Boycott. 2 people who say everything that doesn't need to be said and barely anything that does need to be mentioned. That and "I've got lovely hair" Nicholas.

Well, compared to Richie, no he hasn't, but still he had a fantastic World Cup and is one of those "lesser heroes"

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Not sure how that links to Rich's post?
#

I think somebody is getting cricket "pundit" and allrounder confused...

Richy doesnt rate really high up on my lists of either...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Not sure how that links to Rich's post?
Richard was commenting on how Richie's record as a play added to his standing as a cricket "god". I then mentioned that if you take Richie's record just on stats he's not a patch on Sobers or Imran who both have better records, in order to show that someone's record does not allways dictate someone's standing in the halls of cricketing legend.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But I never said "Richie Benaud was the greatest all-rounder ever" - I didn't even say "he rates close to Sobers and Imran Khan"! :cool2: Because I don't think anyone comes close to Sobers.
I just said he was a fantastic bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
Is it really worth bothering?:(

Do you have to take everything so seriously?
No, I wasn't being deadly serious.
Just asking a light question.::)

PY

International Coach
Davison's first game for Canada since the World Cup has seen him totally dominate with the bat and ball against the USA. Supposedly the longest running cricketing rivalry as they have been playing each other for 160 years.

Davison got 84 and 6/49 just on the first day of their game.

Canada 221 all out (Davison 84, Dhillon 69; Javed 5/78)
USA 110/8 (Romero 33, Staple 30; Davison 6/49)

PY

International Coach
Doesn't bode well for the ICC Champions Trophy games against Australia and New Zealand if Davison can do that against the USA. :(

Sudeep

International Captain
PY said:
Doesn't bode well for the ICC Champions Trophy games against Australia and New Zealand if Davison can do that against the USA. :(
USA second innings 87/2, chasing some 200+ runs. :p

PY

International Coach
That's Canada as a whole though. Davison took 8 (yes that does say 8) for 61.

I know he's good but the whole of the Aussie and NZ teams are going to be as good as him. They are going to get a proper spanking. Suppose it is all part of the learning curve. Just hope any youngsters in the USA side don't give up because of it.

Last edited: