• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan since spot fixing debacle

Xuhaib

International Coach
Have won 3 series drawn the other 2. They don't play pretty cricket but its certainly is effective. Props should be given to Misbah he took over side whose reputation was in ruins and he's got good results out of them. Unfairly or even sometimes fairly he gets bashed for being over defensive but he still grinds out results with his limited resources. Another interesting stat is despite loosing its 2 best best bowlers Pakistan has taken 20 wickets in 7 of their last 8 tests whcih does show good depth of Pakistan's bowling resources.

Overall i still see them a class behind the big 4 but whatever they have achieved has been impressive in trying times.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have only lost that one game against the Windies so far as well isn't it?

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Don't get too carried away, the England series will be the real litmus test of how far pak have come.

England will put pak under real pressure, I don't have much hope of pak finding a way out, likely pak will just go ultra defensive.

Secondly England bat deep, Pakistan will struggle to bowl them out. Also pak do NOT bat deep, so eng will have it easier.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I think Misbah should be given a lot of credit for the way he's led the side in difficult circumstances. I'm not entirely sold on some of his strategies and what seems like negative ploys, but he has brought the side together and created a team that is gradually becoming more and more difficult to beat. Even if some of the pitches have been difficult to force a result on, at least they are not gifting games away like they have in the past.

There is some consistency in the selection, Taufeeq and Hafeez have been present at the top of the order in every Test since the England series, as has Misbah and Azhar Ali, so that's four of the top five in the batting line-up. Misbah has led by example and been the absolute example of consistency, though he may be slightly disappointed in registering just the one hundred. Azhar Ali also has nine fifties and just one hundred, but these figures for such an inexperienced Test player give great hope for the future. Younis' return offers that bit of class, and overall things are looking rather promising with the bat.

I'm sure there will be a time when Umar Akmal will return to the side, but apart from allowing him to play in the Hong Kong Sixes, I believe they are managing him well in terms of sending him back to domestic cricket to learn more about the longer format game, and learning how to build an innings.

The line-up does have a look of being rather one-paced at the minute, but that should not overly concern Pakistan. A side that has shown such frailties in the past should take plenty of positives from occupying the crease for the lengths of time they have of late. I would at times like to see more urgency, but can understand their cautious approach. It is a work in progress and one shouldn't expect too much, too soon.

Things have been rotated around a bit more with the bowlers, but Umar Gul and Saeed Ajmal will no doubt form the nucleus of many of the Test sides selected in the future. Abdur Rehamn will play when two spinners are selected and there are currently a few pacemen battling for any other vacancies in the team. Junaid Khan has shown plenty of promise and currently holds the place. Mohammad Amir and Asif will both be missed, and while those battling for the places lack their star factor, they have done an admirable job in some real batting-friendly conditions.

For me Ajmal is a real key in controlling things from one end, and offering a threat when the pitch offers something with his off-spin and doosra variations.

There are reasons to be positive for Pakistan fans, the side may have lost some excitement and entertainment factor, but they are heading in the right direction, and the road to recovery is starting from a steady, if unspectacular, base.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Kind of bugs me how people talk about Azhar Ali like he's a 19 year old. He's 26, had plenty of time on the domestic circuit, and should be coming towards the top of his game over the next couple of years.

I have high hopes for him, but to me the century when it finally came was a matter of some relief rather than a natural progression. I was beginning to consider his run of unconverted 50s as less of an anomaly and more a sign of a rather limited player. Happy to be proven wrong, and I hope he keeps it up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Misbah's "negativity" is actually going a long way to helping the batting being a more consistent unit. While you're not going to win many Tests if you've got a rank bowling attack, what a lot of people forget is that while it's the bowling that determines whether you can win games, it's your batting which determines whether or not you lose a game.

Sometimes you need to walk before you run. IIRC Pakistan's only defeat since Lord's last year has been in the West Indies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pakistan's record since Lord's is P8 W4 D3 L1 - that's a much better base for going forward than their P6 W2 L4 record that they had with Amir and Asif bamboozling opposition batting lineups.

Woodster

International Captain
Misbah's "negativity" is actually going a long way to helping the batting being a more consistent unit. While you're not going to win many Tests if you've got a rank bowling attack, what a lot of people forget is that while it's the bowling that determines whether you can win games, it's your batting which determines whether or not you lose a game.

Sometimes you need to walk before you run. IIRC Pakistan's only defeat since Lord's last year has been in the West Indies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pakistan's record since Lord's is P8 W4 D3 L1 - that's a much better base for going forward than their P6 W2 L4 record that they had with Amir and Asif bamboozling opposition batting lineups.
Misbah's negativity that I was referring to was not in relation to his batting, more to his field placings and willingness to go on the back foot when the situation is crying out for him to attack a batsman. The sight, and this isn't just Misbah, of sides having deep point and mid-off and mid-on deep giving very easy singles is a constant source of frustration.

I have no problems with how they're progressing at all, just one or two tweaks needed here and there, imo.

Woodster

International Captain
Kind of bugs me how people talk about Azhar Ali like he's a 19 year old. He's 26, had plenty of time on the domestic circuit, and should be coming towards the top of his game over the next couple of years.

I have high hopes for him, but to me the century when it finally came was a matter of some relief rather than a natural progression. I was beginning to consider his run of unconverted 50s as less of an anomaly and more a sign of a rather limited player. Happy to be proven wrong, and I hope he keeps it up.
Yes I must admit I fall into the trap of thinking he's younger than he actually is. But his consistency for a player new to Test cricket is still impressive. He averages over 53 in the last 12 months, and I'm sure he'll be only too aware of his need to convert those fifties into more match defining innings'. It looks a Shane Watson-like record, if someway from being as attractive (in terms of batting style), but he is still learning about Test cricket.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Pakistan have done brilliantly since that England series last year. You play to your strengths and that's what they do really well. Misbah deserves a lot of credit for the way he has led this side and hopefully no more scandals ruin the good work they have put in.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Also disposed of Osama Bin Laden as a resident. Been a busy 12 months or so.
Wont Miss a chance to take a dig. :troll

First, Kudos to Misbah for handling the team professionally, not considering the fact that Misbah has been a 'strange' captain with strange tactics i.e Not chasing 250 targets.
Second, the reason Misbah has handled so well is the team not consisting Super Stars i.e Afridi,Moyo,Malik... excluding Younis Khan (Who actually is a gentleman).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wont Miss a chance to take a dig. :troll

First, Kudos to Misbah for handling the team professionally, not considering the fact that Misbah has been a 'strange' captain with strange tactics i.e Not chasing 250 targets.
Second, the reason Misbah has handled so well is the team not consisting Super Stars i.e Afridi,Moyo,Malik... excluding Younis Khan (Who actually is a gentleman).
Yes, because I am a seasoned Pakistan troll...

hang on

State Vice-Captain
definitely playing more consistent unmercurial cricket.

in flattish or spinning conditions, would back them to do decently against all teams. and beat all teams barring saf and england in seaming conditions.