• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am a thread for Polite Discussion about Umpiring Errors as of post #57

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
did fairly well in the 2 full series he played vs them:

99 tour of Aus , scored 270+ runs in 6 innings

2001 Aus tour of India, scored 300+ runs in 6 innings

one test in 2004 in India where he just returned from injury - he failed in that one ...
if the umpires hadn't conspired to give him out whenever the ball hit his pads/body. i'm sure he would've scored a lot more. there were dubious calls....

- first test in adelaide he got given out caught at short leg against warne when the ball hadn't touched his bat. (had gone past his 50)
- shoulder before wicket.
-countless lbws (no benefit of the doubt back when umpires didn't make brave decisions)

Sachin Tendulkar DESTROYS Glenn McGrath-BRUTAL BATTING FROM THE GOD OF CRICKET! - YouTube
if you don't believe me, well the commentary in the 2nd half of the video confirms what i have said.

"there's no benefit of the doubt for this poor little guy, is there" "he's been adjudged lbw four times now" 6:50 "he's had a few rough decisions this summer but that one was out"
so it's unfair to say that he was merely good in that series because he was actually on top ( he was given man of the series award for nothing)

yes it's quite well known that australian umpires used to target the top batsman of the opposition in those days...I suppose Lara would've copped a few in his time too...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if the umpires hadn't conspired to give him out whenever the ball hit his pads/body. i'm sure he would've scored a lot more. there were dubious calls....

- first test in adelaide he got given out caught at short leg against warne when the ball hadn't touched his bat. (had gone past his 50)
- shoulder before wicket.
-countless lbws (no benefit of the doubt back when umpires didn't make brave decisions)

Sachin Tendulkar DESTROYS Glenn McGrath-BRUTAL BATTING FROM THE GOD OF CRICKET! - YouTube
if you don't believe me, well the commentary in the 2nd half of the video confirms what i have said.

so it's unfair to say that he was merely good in that series because he was actually on top ( he was given man of the series award for nothing)

yes it's quite well known that australian umpires used to target the top batsman of the opposition in those days...I suppose Lara would've copped a few in his time too...
Spare us. Was out in 1999 and it's out now. Let's not speak of umpiring, please. Without it Australia would have won in India in 2001.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Agreed, but with umpiring India won that series.
India won in 98 and 01 with horrendous umpiring. Don't act all high and mighty over a few bad calls in our country when there were ever worse ones in your own country over many series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Spare us. Was out in 1999 and it's out now. Let's not speak of umpiring, please. Without it Australia would have won in India in 2001.
lol.. gotta say, there are facts, there are theories, there are hyperboles, there are lies and then there is this post..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India won in 98 and 01 with horrendous umpiring. Don't act all high and mighty over a few bad calls in our country when there were ever worse ones in your own country over many series.
Agree the umpiring dished out during the away series for both teams have been horrendous, but Burgey's assertion there was juz laughable. Had he posted what you just posted, I would have agreed 100%.

shankar

International Debutant
The biggest umpiring error in Kolkata (which was also one of the worst in my time of watching cricket) was when Bansal gave Gillespie not out after a massive outside edge that would have been visible from the stands. S.Waugh and him went on to post a massive partnership of 100+ which ensured the big first inning total for Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The biggest umpiring error in Kolkata (which was also one of the worst in my time of watching cricket) was when Bansal gave Gillespie not out after a massive outside edge that would have been visible from the stands. S.Waugh and him went on to post a massive partnership of 100+ which ensured the big first inning total for Australia.
exactly.... same here.. think that pretty much answers' Burgey's point. That nick was a humongous one.. Also, think it was Steve Waugh and not Gillespie? Off Prasad, I think it was.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Cant get a bigger umpiring error in that test than Gilly out lbw when it pitched outside leg (by a mile) AND he hit it. Dravid was also plumb out during his 180 early in his innings, inexcusably turned down.

Burgey

Be grateful. India wouldn't have followed on then.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
from around the time i started taking an active interest in ind aus series (the mid 80s) and managed to watch, after quite a bit of cajoling of friends of the robelinda variety - the tape wizards! - most of the matches on tape, i have noticed that the umpiring in those series or matches has not been of the highest standard, on average. the umpiring in 86 and 92 in australia was dreadful. while the umpiring in 99 was not too shabby apart from a couple of stinkers that tendulkar copped. the umpiring in 01 in india was again pretty poor, but as shankar mentions, it was not all one way traffic. the umpiring in 03 04 was good barring the bucknor shocker and some pretty bad decision making in sydney. the return series in 04 in india had excellent umpiring.

in general, i would say that in 01, the umpiring was perhaps a factor in india's win, while in 86 and 03, the umpiring was also a factor that possibly prevented india from winning.

did not pay too much attention to 08 and 10 and so cannot really comment on the umpiring in those series.

Last edited:

Burgey

from around the time i started taking an active interest in ind aus series (the mid 80s) and managed to watch, after quite a bit of cajoling of friends of the robelinda variety - the tape wizards! - i have noticed that the umpiring in those series or matches has not been of the highest standard, on average. the umpiring in 86 and 92 in australia was dreadful. while the umpiring in 99 was not too shabby apart from a couple of stinkers that tendulkar copped. the umpiring in 01 in india was again pretty poor, but as shankar mentions, it was not all one way traffic. the umpiring in 03 04 was good barring the bucknor shocker and some pretty bad decision making in sydney. the return series in 04 in india had excellent umpiring.

in general, i would say that in 01, the umpiring was perhaps a factor in india's win, while in 86 and 03, the umpiring was also a factor that possibly prevented india from winning.

did not pay too much attention to 08 and 10 and so cannot really comment on the umpiring in those series.
The Bucknor thing was in the 07-08 tour mate.

I don't think there was too much about the 08 & 10 tours that stands out. In the 04 series here, no one seemed to create enough wicket taking chances for there to be much controversy.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
The Bucknor thing was in the 07-08 tour mate.

I don't think there was too much about the 08 & 10 tours that stands out. In the 04 series here, no one seemed to create enough wicket taking chances for there to be much controversy.
i remember the first test in 03 in brisbane and tendulkar getting a real stinker. think he was padding up to a ball from gillespie(?) that was clearly missing the stumps. i did say that i wasn't going to comment on the 07 one! quite right about the 03 04 series and the lack of wicket taking chances though there were some 'marginal' calls that went australia's way when they were hanging on in sydney. wasn't bucknor the ump then too?

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
iirc tendulkar was unlucky in the perth test in 08 too as the ball was going over the stumps. (was on 71)

3rd Test: Australia v India at Perth, Jan 16-19, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

here's the bucknor one...
Sachin tendulkar out lbw.bad decision.bucknor. - YouTube

reckon he's due for some luck in aus... hahahaha
yeah, but the perth one was not a stinker. a lot of batsmen get those sorts. remember lara getting copping a few too. while i do not remember too well, i think that hayden got a terrible one first up in the first test in 08 in india.