• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian player contracts for the year 2011-12

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Yuvraj Singh has been rewarded for his stellar World Cup with a Grade A contract from the BCCI for 2011-12, a year after being demoted to Grade B. Virat Kohli and Ishant Sharma have both been given Grade A contracts for the first time.

Rohit Sharma moved up from Grade C to B, as did R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, but Ashish Nehra, who had a Grade B contract, did not make the list of contacted players at all. Harbhajan Singh, who was not picked for the one-day series against England or for the upcoming first Test against West Indies, remained in Grade A.

Yuvraj had a forgettable 2010, with indifferent form and fitness dogging him through one of the toughest phases of his career. He bounced back superbly to be Man of the Tournament in the World Cup, before injury cut short his tour of England.

The total number of contracted players ballooned from 24 to 36, with Umesh Yadav, Rahul Sharma and Varun Aaron receiving contracts for the first time. Aaron and Yadav impressed with their pace in the recent home one-day series against England. The pair, along with legspinner Rahul Sharma, were included in the squad for the first Test against West Indies starting on November 6. All three players were given Grade C contracts.

Munaf Patel, who missed out last year, was also in Grade C as was Ajinkya Rahane, who made his ODI debut in England this year. Cheteshwar Pujara, who recently recovered from injury and has not played since the IPL, retained his Grade C contract. Meanwhile M Vijay was moved from B to C after struggling on the tour of West Indies earlier this year.

The annual retainers are worth Rs.1 crore (approximately $205,760) for Grade A, Rs. 50 lakh (approximately $102,880) for Grade B and Rs 25 lakhs (approximately $51,440) for Grade C.

The BCCI's working committee also voted to classify the IPL as List A cricket at its meeting today in Kolkata and stated their opposition to the new sports bill being promulgated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.

The ministry had drafted a sports bill ostensibly to bring accountability and transparency to India's sporting bodies, but the idea met with stiff opposition. A first draft was sent back to the ministry for redrafting, and the BCCI said it would oppose the latest version as well.

"While the BCCI is all for good governance and transparency in sports bodies, certain aspects of the bill seek to destroy the autonomy of the board and dilute the rights of its members," the BCCI said in a statement. "Therefore the Board is totally opposed to this bill and will be communicating its objections to the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports shortly ... The bill tends to encroach upon fundamental rights of sports bodies."

Among the committee's other decisions was the appointment of Evan Speechly as the physiotherapist of the Indian team for a period of two years. Speechly will join the team for the third Test between India and West Indies.

In addition the committee approved in principle a proposal to allot a certain portion of the gate receipts from the IPL playoffs for the benefit of retired cricketers. They also created an award for the best allrounder in the Ranji Trophy and India's domestic limited-overs tournaments, named after the late former India captain Lala Amarnath. The award will comprise a trophy and a cash prize of Rs. 2.5 lakhs ($5000) in each category.

Grade A: Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma.

Grade B: Praveen Kumar, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja.

Grade C: Sreesanth, Amit Mishra, Cheteshwar Pujara, Abhimanyu Mithun, Vinay Kumar , Ajinkya Rahane, Munaf Patel, M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Wriddhiman Saha, Parthiv Patel, S Badrinath, Manoj Tiwary, Piyush Chawla, Dinesh Karthik, Jaydev Unadkat, Umesh Yadav, Rahul Sharma, Varun Aaron.

From Cricinfo

Last edited:

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Notable promotions-

Virat Kohli to Grade "A".
The entire Grade "B" apart from Praveen Kumar.
Umesh, Aaron, Tiwary in Grade "C".

Baffling selections-

Unadkat
Badri
Mithun
Vinay
Vijay
Chawla
Rohit Sharma in Grade "B"
Ishant in Grade "A"

ganeshran

International Debutant
Apart from a few flashy knocks, Yusuf has been Yuseless, needs to work more on his game to get back into contention. Thanks to the IPL, we have enough decent sloggers in India.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Notable promotions-

Virat Kohli to Grade "A".
The entire Grade "B" apart from Praveen Kumar.
Umesh, Aaron, Tiwary in Grade "C".

Baffling selections-

Unadkat
Badri
Mithun
Vinay
Vijay
Chawla
Rohit Sharma in Grade "B"
Ishant in Grade "A
"
i agree

karan316

State Vice-Captain
This is utter rubbish, how can guys like Mithun, Unadkat, Badri, Rahul Sharma,Vijay,etc. be in Grade C?? and Yusuf not included, he struck the 2 most brutal centuries last year, what have others done to get a contract??
Rahul Sharma is yet to debut,
Mithun, Unadkat, Badri,Chawla,Vinay and Vijay haven't showed anything special, nor have they performed well when given chances.
Too much of politics in Indian cricket I would say. Worst management ever.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Apart from a few flashy knocks, Yusuf has been Yuseless, needs to work more on his game to get back into contention. Thanks to the IPL, we have enough decent sloggers in India.
To be fair to him, he is a better player than many of the players I have included in my "Baffling selections" section.

Thank you. If hypothetically possible, who would be your "certain picks" as compared to the dare-I-say, lucky boys.

This is utter rubbish, how can guys like Mithun, Unadkat, Badri, Rahul Sharma,Vijay,etc. be in Grade C?? and Yusuf not included, he struck the 2 most brutal centuries last year, what have others done to get a contract??
Rahul Sharma is yet to debut,
Mithun, Unadkat, Badri,Chawla,Vinay and Vijay haven't showed anything special, nor have they performed well when given chances.
Too much of politics in Indian cricket I would say. Worst management ever.
The selections for the contracts are quite contentious. It smacks of sycophancy.

Yes that elite Grade A classification looks a bit low on numbers...
I think the BCCI is putting a premium on "A" and to see Virat Kohli is a clear indication that performance is being rewarded. The best are always the fewer of the lot, isn't it? :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whether or not someone has done anything internationally or even debuted yet doesn't seem particularly relevant to me. The contracts are supposed to reflect India's plans for the next twelve months; not what's gone so far. If Yusuf isn't in India's plans for the next year then he shouldn't get a contract.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
Not as well as they do by getting contracted to the IPL, tbf.:p
Oh yes. For someone like Saurabh Tiwary, our new Dollar Millionaire, I'm sure IPL would be quite high on the priority list, as compared to striving hard for an Indian contract.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whether or not someone has done anything internationally or even debuted yet doesn't seem particularly relevant to me. The contracts are supposed to reflect India's plans for the next twelve months; not what's gone so far. If Yusuf isn't in India's plans for the next year then he shouldn't get a contract.
Then why is he playing today?

Daemon

I'd like to think the BCCI doesn't give T20 enough importance to give out contracts for it, but that seems unlikely.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd like to think the BCCI doesn't give T20 enough importance to give out contracts for it, but that seems unlikely.
A T20 only contract for someone like Yusuf Pathan or Robin Uttapha would be absolutely meaningless when you look at what they earn from the IPL.

Daemon

The contracts aren't just all about the money though are they? Genuine question.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The contracts aren't just all about the money though are they? Genuine question.
True, but the BCCI don't strike me as being particularly competent when it comes to managing injuries and workloads. The players seem to have far more of a say than they perhaps should.

Daemon

I guess. Wish a personal trainer would stay with Zaheer and make him work his butt off when he's not playing :p