• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Quaggas

State Captain
So the Saffies get first go on this pitch with ball. Clarke saying he was going to bat first anyway!

Smith said Philander and Tahir get their debuts, otherwise it takes the usual look. No Rudolph ?
Tsotsobe and Harris out, surely?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wow. clarke is an absolutely trash caller - won like 1 toss in the last 10

edit: although he was gonna bat first. hmmmmm
Reckon it was a good toss to lose from Clarke's perspective. An Aussie captain winning the toss and bowling first always seems to be questioned after Ricky at Edgbaston, and I wouldn't be surprised if we battle hard against the new ball today. Can see Steyn having a bit of fun here.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Put the ****ing Test match on, no one wants to see this ****. I would even prefer to just listen to BJ bumble on.

Really pleased by the Aussie selectors, they've picked the best team from the available squad.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know with Sid though, he's a real trier.

Cos no one else playing for Australia gives a ****.

Woodster

International Captain
Tsotsobe and Harris out, surely?
Yes realised those two bowlers would miss out, it was just with Smith saying the team is pretty much the same as usual. I wouldn't say Rudolph was a regular, he hasn't played Test cricket since August 2006! Unless I've misunderstood what Smith was saying, or he's simply forgot to mention his return to the Test team.

Unless Smith was saying it was as expected except for the two debutants, as their inclusion was still in the air.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
So what's changed since last summer, then ?

change the spinner - check

drop the most promising young batsman for a not quite as young promising batsman - check

So what else has changed ?

All that talk and reviewing and reporting.....

adub

International Captain
No great surprises in there. Would have liked to have seen Cummins unleashed, but fully understand the Siddle selection.
Yep we asked him to pitch up and take top order wickets. He's done that and Copes' wickets have dried up. Perfectly reasonable decision. Just fingers crossed that the Siddle and MJ in the same team curse doesn't strike and at least one of them has a good game.

Spark

Global Moderator
So what's changed since last summer, then ?

change the spinner - check

drop the most promising young batsman for a not quite as young promising batsman - check

So what else has changed ?

All that talk and reviewing and reporting.....
are you seriously suggesting that marsh should have been dropped for khawaja?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Delighted to see Tahir making his debut, has been an awful long time coming but he really deserves it.

Anyway stating the bloody obvious and all that but this first little session really is important, not really sure what to make of the Australian top 4 right now but we will find out a fair bit in the next couple of tests.

ajdude

International Coach
Hahaha "not too far away from the toss of the coin", wow who does Julian think he's fooling?

edit: GODDAMNIT as soon as they go to the toss there's dense cloud cover in my area according to austar, i mean i know who wins the toss but jesus ****

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There is no way that M.Clarke was going to bat first. I've watched too many episodes of Lie to Me to be fooled!

Anyway, I think both squads have picked their best XI's, so I'm really excited about the match. Pretty nervous with our batting lineup, hopefully we can get to lunch at say 0/45 or so.