• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Johnson has completely lost the plot, he has to be dropped. It's pretty disappointing to see you're opening bowler reduced to bowling off a 5 step run up. It's pointless, Mitch shouldn't be slowing down his pace, he's never going to be the line and length bowler, I'm afraid. Especially with his unrepeatable action,

Watching Johnson and Siddle bowl in this series has been nothing short of deplorable. Both of them continually just run in with no actual bowling plan or tactics. Long gone are the days of Australia having quality thinking bowlers like Gillespie or Fleming in their bowling attack.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The thing is, abbreviated run up notwithstanding, Johnson looks exactly the same bowler as he did in 2009 up here. The key difference is he picked up wickets whilst looking all kinds of turd. Never quite sure how he did it and, one suspects, neither was he.

Now he just looks turd without the redeeming wickets.

Spark

Global Moderator
The thing is, abbreviated run up notwithstanding, Johnson looks exactly the same bowler as he did in 2009 up here. The key difference is he picked up wickets whilst looking all kinds of turd. Never quite sure how he did it and, one suspects, neither was he.

Now he just looks turd without the redeeming wickets.
Nah, disagree. Much higher arm, was much more accurate, got much more bounce. And then there's the swing, ofc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, disagree. Much higher arm, was much more accurate, got much more bounce. And then there's the swing, ofc.
By "up here" I'm pretty sure he means England; not South Africa. In which case I agree with him completely. Definitely no swing in England for him.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well his opening spell at Lords was about the worst spell I'd seen from an Australian spearhead, but he still ended up with (IIRC) four wickets for the innings.

If his arm was closer to midnight it wasn't by much either; always been quite round armed from what I've seen.

SeamUp

International Coach
Been really impressed with Pat Cummins, he has been relentless at times and thats for an 18 year-old. No matter how poor it is that he is outshining the 'more experienced' in PS & MJ...we have to give him huge credit.

Some Aussie fans, won't like this but I think you need to move on from Harris no matter how good he can be if he gets a prolonged run...he is just a liability now and at 32 and his physical build, I cannot see things get any better for him. You need to get a trio together who can build a relationship and someone coming in-and-out won't help that.

Big question for me is can Trent Copeland step up to the plate, really? I know he impressed a bit in Sri Lanks but can he survive in test cricket? For me I would like to see Hazlewood in as the line bowler medium to long term. Hopefully he can stay injury fee and have a solid season this year.

In terms of Australia's future for me...the third seamer role is up for grabs.

Last edited: