• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand loses Donald, gains...

Flem274*

123/5
Damien Wright...

The Australian fast bowler Damien Wright is expected to become New Zealand's new bowling coach. Wright, 35, will be one of the final pieces of New Zealand's management jigsaw when he is confirmed as the replacement for Allan Donald, who was set to continue in the job until he was offered a position working with Gary Kirsten on South Africa's coaching staff.
New Zealand news: Damien Wright to be New Zealand's bowling coach | New Zealand Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

FFS. If he was any good Australia would have chosen him first.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes.Shane Bond would be a great option.Although,there was nothing compared to Donald.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FFS. If he was any good Australia would have chosen him first.

a) i don't think he applied and;
b) i doubt he's the type of guy we hire (that is he hasn't found success coaching with england yet and he hasn't played 80 tests for australia)

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Cricket Australia don't hire any quality coaches. That's why he wasn't chosen.

Damien Wright is definitely one of the most technically correct cricketers around. Bowled awesome outswingers at will and had a superb seam position, bowled an immaculate line as well. I've read articles where the current Victorian players praised Wright for his technical help. Will Sheridan mentioned that Wright had rectified his wrist position problem and that he was just very helpful in general.

I think he'll be great for New Zealand cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Owning property in Chch and doing speaking gigs. He doesn't have the right sort of personality to be a bowling coach, if that's what you're infering.

From all reports, Damien Wright is a good pick-up.

Rememeber a guy called Troy Cooley? He took 33 wickets at 60 in FC cricket but went on to be considered one of the main influences of the 2005 Ashes. So there's no requirement to have played Tests or taken 400 scalps at 20.

At a guess about Bond, it would be a family thing. Young family, doesn't want to be moving around all over the country/world 10 months a year.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Damien Wright has bugger all coaching experience. Seems a massive risk to me.
Has been the bowling coach for Victoria for the past few seasons now.

Just give him a chance. I reckon he'll be a bonus for New Zealand cricket, he will definitely be a big help for the younger NZ fast bowlers, technically wise he is superb.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
A few posters here are confusing bowling talent with coaching talent.
We will see I guess. I haven't seen anything yet that will suggest that Wright will do a bad job.

I also happen to think Shane Bond wouldn't be the best choice for a national bowling coach.

Debris

International 12th Man
We will see I guess. I haven't seen anything yet that will suggest that Wright will do a bad job.

I also happen to think Shane Bond wouldn't be the best choice for a national bowling coach.
That was kinda my point. Bond and Hadlee were great bowlers but no indication that they would be good coaches.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard positive reports about how Bond has been going with Central Districts' young pace bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
From all reports, Damien Wright is a good pick-up.

Rememeber a guy called Troy Cooley? He took 33 wickets at 60 in FC cricket but went on to be considered one of the main influences of the 2005 Ashes. So there's no requirement to have played Tests or taken 400 scalps at 20.
Exactly. Making a point in another thread..
No one here thinks Wright will be a poor coach because he didn't play test cricket. That's a straw man argument.

Damien Wright started coaching part way through his final season. I think NZ should be picking someone with a more proven track record.