• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Australia Thread

Choora

State Regular
Dravid near his double ton, on 173, hope he gets it.

How many batsman have scored double century against Aus in Aus recently? can't remember many names.

krkode

State Captain
Choora, Michael Vaughan came incredibly close (197). But yes, I too hope Dravid gets it. I'm extremely impressed with Dravid and Laxman. They have yet again proven to be the defiers of the great Australian team, just like they did some years ago... :P

And I never thought I'd see the day when this happened: Rahul Dravid averages more than Sachin Tendulkar! :O

And about the run rate. The rate at which India is playing is an excellent test run rate. Australia just plays too fast :P At this same time (127 overs) Australia were nearly 120 runs over the Indian score...:wow:

Last edited:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Choora said:
GREAT fight back by the Indian team, Laxman and Dravid showed their class and treted Aussie bowlers with little respect.

What makes you draw that conclusion? Although they batted brilliantly, they only scored at about 50 runs per hundred balls - hardly what I'd call 'little respect'.......in fact I thought Dravid in particular was very watchful, considering he was batting on such a great wicket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
jamesryfler said:
I watched them play last year against Jamaica in England and draw 0-0. Not bad given the Jamaicans played in France 98'.
Jamaica played in France 98. There's a difference.

The team's completely different now....

Anyway, brilliant stuff from Laxman and Dravid. This is Test Cricket at its very best. I still feel there is scope for an aggressive Australian declaration early on Day 5 setting ~300 and it could be a belter.

I thought Australia were supposed to have strength in depth? This era's going to be over sooner than some people would like us to believe.

*Hope Dravid gets out for less than 242*

plotoder

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:

*Hope Dravid gets out for less than 242*

You!! :( :!( :D

*Hope Dravid outscores Ponting*

Cant wait to see Ponting shake Dravids hand once he goes past 242 ;)

PS: Hello everybody!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
plotoder said:
You!! :( :!( :D

*Hope Dravid outscores Ponting*

Cant wait to see Ponting shake Dravids hand once he goes past 242 ;)

PS: Hello everybody!
It's entirely related to the predictions league. Ask Vishureddy..

And welcome to CW :)

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shades of Calcutta in 2001 today with the Indians putting up a fight and taking it to the Aussies... not in as destructive a way, mind you, but still good to see nevertheless. Disappointed to see them slide away a bit towards the end of the day though... great partnership between Laxman and Dravid, but one of them gone, and they're a bit exposed.

I hope that Kumble and co. can stick around, and give Dravid a chance to post a high score, and get somewhere near our first innings total (something that I reckon was not even a distinct possibility this time yesterday).

Still very much game on!

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:

I thought Australia were supposed to have strength in depth? This era's going to be over sooner than some people would like us to believe.

On the basis of Australia having a bad day on a flat track against Dravid (who is all class) and VVS "Australia, who's your daddy" Laxman? I'll need a bit more evidence to be convinced that you'll have the Ashes back anytime soon, Neil.

As you indicatedt, that was a backs to the wall, classy performance by two class batsmen, setting up a match that can still go one of three ways.

And I also think it needs to be said that AA deserves a good flogging. That shot was awful. If the Indians don't give him a slap, I'm sure Ged will.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bennyr said:
On the basis of Australia having a bad day on a flat track against Dravid (who is all class) and VVS "Australia, who's your daddy" Laxman? I'll need a bit more evidence to be convinced that you'll have the Ashes back anytime soon, Neil.
5th Ashes Test, Australia missing McGrath and Warne for the first time in a long time...

And I backed England at 10-1! 8D

bennyr said:
And I also think it needs to be said that AA deserves a good flogging. That shot was awful. If the Indians don't give him a slap, I'm sure Ged will.
:!( Anyone slapping AA will have me to deal with

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
[I thought Australia were supposed to have strength in depth? This era's going to be over sooner than some people would like us to believe.

[/B]
I agree with benny here......India's strengh was always going to be the batting, and Aus are most depleted in the bowling - India should score heavily on this track!!
If they are dismissed for less than Australia's 556, then the Aussies have done very well.........after all, had Ponting held the chance from Laxman, India may have been dismissed for around 400.

Doomsayers.......:rolleyes:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
And England were well flogged by the time last years 5th test rolled around........the Aussies have long been fair game in 'dead rubber' matches.

PY

International Coach
Excuses excuses ;) :saint:

How harsh is it to be stuck on 199* overnight :O, he's going to have a belter of a night's sleep.

plotoder

Cricket Spectator
PY said:
Excuses excuses ;) :saint:

How harsh is it to be stuck on 199* overnight :O, he's going to have a belter of a night's sleep.
Harsh when its going to be your first double hundred, not when you already have couple under your belt.

after all, had Ponting held the chance from Laxman, India may have been dismissed for around 400.
Now, Now.. Had Ponting been dismissed earlier in the drop catch Australia might have been well below 300? :D

Sour grapes?

PY

International Coach
plotoder said:
Harsh when its going to be your first double hundred, not when you already have couple under your belt.
A double ton is a double ton, whether you have 0, 2 or 10, it's still a monumental effort which would be well annoying if you holed out on 199*.

bennyr said:
With pleasure. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't see him bat, and didn't see this awful shot. It would be highly inappropriate for me to comment beyond asking what exactly did he do?

And PY, you can't hole out on 199* :P

plotoder

Cricket Spectator
PY said:
A double ton is a double ton, whether you have 0, 2 or 10, it's still a monumental effort which would be well annoying if you holed out on 199*.
Just to add, Dravid was asked the same question by Harsha and he replied saying that it didnt really worry him and all that he wanted was a good hot shower and some sleep. 8D

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kenny, sorry mate but the injury excuse is a load of bull****.

Its not as if India haven't had their own injury problems

A knee injury forced Javagal Srinath into premature retirement before the tour.
A shoulder injury ruled Aavishkar Salvi out of the tour. And Salvi is almost certainly India's most accurate bowler -- and was a likely new ball partner for Zaheer.
A finger injury means Harbhajan is out of the tour.
And Zaheer missed this match with a torn hamstring.

Credit where credit's due, India are in a better position now than they were at 4-85 because of the superlative batting of Laxman and Dravid.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Oh and Kenny, don't even bring up the Ponting dropped catch
of Laxman.

Ponting was lucky to have made that 200, given that he was given the benefit of an lbw appeal by Kumble on 12 which looked decidedly plumb.

But he made good his chance....ditto with Laxman and that's all that matters.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Divergence

Neil, my point is if India could draw 0-0 with Jamaica who are
ranked in FIFA's top 50 **CURRENTLY**, they can't be that bad a football team.

And having seen them play, I definitely feel they could qualify
for the World Cup from Asia come 2010.
Their youth sides are certainly in the top 8 in Asia and by 2010 I'm sure their senior team could be in the top 5 or 3.