• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

Howe_zat

Audio File
Prior v Dhoni - I don't see much difference between them. Both are super on the field, but I've picked Prior because he's also smashing in the dressing room.

More seriously, Laxman's innings against Australia and South Africa in the last year just seem like too much to ignore for me.

Jacknife

International Captain
Not sure that Laxman would get into my combined XI. If I were Australian I'd doubtless say different, but he's not done his best work against England so far. So I'd be looking at something like:

Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Sachin
KP
Bell
Prior
Swann
Tremlett
Khan
Anderson

Very tough on Gambhir whom I rate highly and who could score a bucketload of runs in the series.

Prior v Dhoni - I don't see much difference between them. Both are super on the field, but I've picked Prior because he's also smashing in the dressing room.
Exactly how I see it and for me, Prior's a better batsman, simple as that and I said at the start of the year KP would have a big summer and by the looks of it, he might just do.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys who I think will do better than others in the coming series-

Sehwag
Gambhir
Trott
Sachin
Laxman
Bell
Dhoni
Swann
Tremlett
Khan
Anderson

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, it takes more than a couple of fifties against a toothless attack to compensate for two years of not really producing much. Laxman has been in the form of his life, meanwhile.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Plus been playing some very very crucial innings ,even though may not be the biggest knocks in terms of runs.

Bun

Banned
And having produced some ATG knocks as well..

It's laughable to put KP ahead of VVS... what KP has done has been done by VVS and much much more...

Teja.

Global Moderator
Laxman played 4 immense Innings last year; The fourth Innings chase in SL, 73* against Oz, Match-saving knock from 17-5 against NZ and match-winning 96 and 39 in a game no-one exceeded 40 in an Innings in SA. Apart from that he also had a ton and a 90-odd score which were not as good. All those epic knocks were against different opposition. There's absolutely no excuse to have KP over Laxman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah agree with the rest. Sorry but KP beating up big names like Lakmal, Welegedera and Perera doesn't mean much fellas.

He's a good batsman, but surely you can't have him ahead of Laxman right now?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Laxman played 4 immense Innings last year; The fourth Innings chase in SL, 73* against Oz, Match-saving knock from 17-5 against NZ and match-winning 96 and 39 in a game no-one exceeded 40 in an Innings in SA. Apart from that he also had a ton and a 90-odd score which were not as good. All those epic knocks were against different opposition. There's absolutely no excuse to have KP over Laxman.
AWTA! Given the trough that KP has been going through, a couple of fifties against a second-rate bowling attack does not indicate anything.

Yes, he looked good while scoring those runs, but there's nothing to suggest that he's back to his pre-2008 best. Only a KP at his peak can possibly compete against Laxman for a place. As it stands now, Laxman has a much stronger claim.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's hardly likely that KP's a better player than Laxman right now, but if you think he'll have a great series, what's wrong with that?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
My combined XI (specifically for this series in English conditions) would be:

Cook
Gambhir
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Prior
Swann
Zaheer
Anderson
Tremlett

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's hardly likely that KP's a better player than Laxman right now, but if you think he'll have a great series, what's wrong with that?
Yeah fair enough. I guess Zaremba did say he based it on what he thinks will happen in the series, but I think that confuses the matter. If you think that Sachin may not have a great series do you not include him?