• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Spinners!

Who should Australia pick to replace Stuart MacGill for the Sydney test?

• Brad Hogg

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Cameron White

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Nathan Hauritz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xavier Doherty

• Beu Casson

• Simon Katich

• Brad Young

• no spinner

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
With Warnie banned & Stuart MacGill now likely to miss the Sydney test it seems Australia will have to look elsewhere for slow bowling options , there are a number of good young prospects going around at the moment.

Andre

International Regular
I'm positive Williams and Hogg will play in place of Gillespie and MacGill, with Noffke a possible 12th man.

Langeveldt

Soutie
No spinner...

Zim will be able to milk Hogg and company for runs, Australia dont want to be giving them that relief...

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
No spinner...

Zim will be able to milk Hogg and company for runs, Australia dont want to be giving them that relief...
I think Lehmann has done a fine job in the 2nd innings.

As for Hogg his the OD spinner so can't be all bad, and he has that ball that goes the other way that nobody incuding Lara and Tendulkar could pick so I don't see Zimbabwe doing much better, and Sydney is the biggest spining grounds in Australia, so will have the best surface to aid him, and he does get spin, If they do pick a spinner I can't see them looking past him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rich2001 said:
that nobody incuding Lara and Tendulkar
He undoubtedly troubled Lara initially, but I think he's the type of bowler who you get used to (as indicated by Lara's free scoring off him despite).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
No spinner...

1) its at the SCG, 1 spinner is almost definate, 2 is the usual for the test side

2) Hogg is a good bowler, there arn't many of them around, hes a left arm wrist spinner which makes him even rare er, his wrong'un no batsmen in the WC could really pick. Zimbabwe couldn't milk Lehmann for runs, that says somethinig about them, if the cant milk someone who hardly turns the ball on a flat pitch, how are they going to mily a reasonable turner of the ball on a spinning wicket.

Hogg is almost definate as a starter, with or without macgill he was always a good chance to play at the SCG. i reakon Cam White might just get the nod over WIlliams, or maybe as well as williams, 5 bowlers is an option with White as hes quite a good batsman, as is Hogg, Bichel and Lee. i mean, bichel didn't even get a bat last time at all. it also gives him abit of experience at test level, which will be advantageous for the future

Top_Cat

He undoubtedly troubled Lara initially, but I think he's the type of bowler who you get used to (as indicated by Lara's free scoring off him despite).
Now that's unfair. Lara getting used to you and any other batsman in the world getting used to you are two different things. :) Lara gets used to most bowlers, I'd say! Well, except Glenn McGrath..............

I think Hogg will most certainly play. Who else? Cam White needs to learn that the most essential part of being a spin bowler is the ability to spin the ball and Nathan Hauritz has dipped out of favour for some reason.

Personally, having seen him bowl a bit, someone like Xav Doherty is worth developing. He looks great and let's face, when has Australia ever had a decent left-arm spinner in our entire history? AB was probably the only one at Test level! :D

Andre

International Regular
Hogg and Katich have been selected.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read the name Nathan Bracken in the squad :S

Top_Cat

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read the name Nathan Bracken in the squad :S
Me too. I'm not exactly sure what he's done in FC cricket to merit a place in the Australian 14.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Personally, having seen him bowl a bit, someone like Xav Doherty is worth developing. He looks great and let's face, when has Australia ever had a decent left-arm spinner in our entire history? AB was probably the only one at Test level! :D
Ray Bright is one that comes to mind but they are few and far between.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Hogg and Katich have been selected.

yep, i suppose the selectors are basing it on his overall bowling, cause his OD is alot better. also, who else is there - assuming Ian Healey was correct and that Noffke is injured, Bracken is not a bad bowler, but not the greatest in the longer version of the game, but i dont think there is anyone else better left.

Steve Waugh basically today that Katich, if he plays, will play as an all rounder. not really surprising, im not sure hed get much of a bat though :lol: :lol:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Completely agree with you about Doherty , he is Australia's best young spin bowling prospect , however at the moment he is not even a certainty in the Tassie first XI & until he acheives at least moderate succes at Pura Cup level I dont expect him to be picked.

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
Steve Waugh basically today that Katich, if he plays, will play as an all rounder. not really surprising, im not sure hed get much of a bat though :lol: :lol:
It's not so funny really, as I heard at the end of the highlights programe here that D.Lehamann is also now doubtfull for the next test. So if you think about it Kat is a excat match for Lehmann in that he is mainly a batsman who can bowl (Kat bowls slighty more though) - So would basically be a stright swap and if that's the case he will bat at 4, and it will have to be a bloody good inngs buy the top 3 each hitting like 150 to stop Kat batting :P

Just found this to prove I wasn't hearing things :lol:

"Stuart MacGill and Darren Lehmann, suffering from a a torn calf muscle and tendonitis respectively, have been included in the 14 and given a chance to prove their fitness.

Hogg will most likely play only if MacGill is ruled out, while Katich is seen as the ideal replacement if Lehmann misses out. "With Darren Lehmann's fitness under a cloud, we felt Simon Katich, who like Darren can slot into the middle order as well as bowl some handy left-arm wrist-spin, was a suitable replacement," said Hohns. "We weren't on the lookout simply for a batsman as a potential replacement for Darren, rather a batting allrounder. Simon's bowling was a major influence in our decision-making. Martin Love was certainly considered, but on this occasion we felt Simon's bowling record on the Sydney Cricket Ground would prove valuable."

Last edited: