• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Vs Gilchrist in ODIs.

Dhoni or Gilly, who is the better ODI cricketer?

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Gilly remains my favorite cricketer from the last 20 years. And Dhoni is the kind of Indian captain/cricketer who makes me feel good about myself. While Gilly's place in the Dream Test XI is secure, I am not sure who will make it to my all time ODI XI as WK-batter anymore.

All things considered, who is the better ODI cricketer?

Code:
[B][U][U]Batting		
[/U][/U][/B]
		Mat 	Inns 	NO 	Runs 	HS 	Ave 	BF 	SR 	100 	50 	0
AC Gilchrist 	287 	279 	11 	9619 	172 	35.89 	9922 	96.94 	16 	55 	19	
MS Dhoni 	186 	166 	42 	6049 	183* 	48.78 	6910 	87.53 	7 	38 	6

[B][B][U]Wicket Keeping	[/U][/B][/B]

Mat 	Inns 	Dis 	Ct 	St 	Max Dis Inns 	Dis/Inn
AC Gilchrist  	287 	281 	472 	417 	55 	6 (6ct 0st) 	1.679
MS Dhoni 	186 	183 	241 	181 	60 	6 (5ct 1st) 	1.316
[B][B][U]
Captaincy
[/U][/B][/B]
		Mat	W	L	T	NR	W/L
MS Dhoni 	102 	59 	35 	1 	7 	1.68
AC Gilchrist 	17 	12 	4 	0 	1 	3.00

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
MSD... the WC performance in the final was the missing element from his spectacular ODI career so far....

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not really a fair comparison because ODI batting is defined by your role, and these two have very different roles in their sides. It's certainly not "no contest."

In terms of an ODI XI, it'll be decided by who else you want because you can then pick whether you need your keeper to open or finish. It's certainly not "no contest." Lately, I've been leaning towards Dhoni because I want to open with Tendulkar and Jayasuria.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both brilliant, but very different ODI cricketers. Almost impossible to choose one. If I wanted to pick for an All-Time XI, I'd take Gilchrist. For a weaker side (possibly lacking a natural leader), Dhoni hands down.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni is still underrated on CW as an ODI cricketer imo, but I'd still take Gilchrist.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In all time XI, Gilchrist is disadvantaged by the fact that he is an opener and has to fight for a place with likes of Greenidge, M Waugh, Ganguly, Anwar, Jayasuriya etc. Much easier to fit in Dhoni instead. Even otherwise, I think Dhoni has done enough to take a claim at being the best wicketkeeper-batsman ever in ODIs. Not to mention, the value of his captaincy.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
dhoni for an alltime 11. since i would have jayasuriya open with tendulkar. and dhoni would captain, too.

jayasuriya
tendulkar
richards
ponting
abbas
dhoni
bevan
akram
mcgrath
garner
murali

Bun

Banned
dhoni for an alltime 11. since i would have jayasuriya open with tendulkar. and dhoni would captain, too.

jayasuriya
tendulkar
richards
ponting
abbas
dhoni
bevan
akram
mcgrath
garner
murali
Killer side that is

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would open with Haydos and Sachin and have Dhoni in the side. Awesome on so many levels.

salman85

International Debutant
I think Gilchrist is the better ODI player.

Dhoni's a good batsman,but i felt his ability with the bat is a tad overated.Both are equally safe behind the stumps,so there's not a lot to chose there.Gilchrist is better as a batsman,and even though the difference isn't huge,it's big enough for Gilchrist to be the better ODI player.

However,if we were to make an all time-ODI team,Dhoni would probably have a better chance of getting in because of the position he bats in as Gilchrist would be up against stiff competition from a lot of top order openers as it has been pointed in this thread,whereas Dhoni would not have the same competition down the order at 5,6, or 7.

salman85

International Debutant
Killer side that is
Although Zaheer Abbas in all all time ODI 11 is laughable when you bring other players into th equation.He won't make it a Pakistan ODI all time-11,let alone a world all time-11.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Although Zaheer Abbas in all all time ODI 11 is laughable when you bring other players into th equation.He won't make it a Pakistan ODI all time-11,let alone a world all time-11.
I wouldn't have him in either but it isn't laughable. Why wouldn't make a Pakistan side? After Miandad, Inzy and Anwar, I'm struggling to think of a better Pakistan ODI batsman.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sachin Tendulkar
Matthew Hayden
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
M Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath

4 great captains in the side too. Would be so awesome to see Bevan and Dhoni work the gaps for singles and twos together in the middle overs.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
I wouldn't have him in either but it isn't laughable. Why wouldn't make a Pakistan side? After Miandad, Inzy and Anwar, I'm struggling to think of a better Pakistan ODI batsman.
Saleem Malik and Yousuf would both be ahead of him.

Zaheer was notorious choker under pressure.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
not to fussed if abbas does not make it. however, an average of 47 in that era does not quite brook much argument as regards his quality.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When you take captaincy into account Dhoni is probably the better overall player. However, for an all-time side I'd pick Gilchrist since he is a better wicket-keeper.