Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season

Worth posting here I guess: Got my best figures ever: 3 for 15 from 4. Too bad I missed out on a hat-trick, as the ball just flew over short mid-wicket's head.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer J_asonR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Worth posting here I guess: Got my best figures ever: 3 for 15 from 4. Too bad I missed out on a hat-trick, as the ball just flew over short mid-wicket's head.
    Sounds good! What do you bowl? I'm guessing it was a shorter game? Maybe 20 overs each way?
    The English South African.

Batting is simple (3W's):
    Watch it
    Wait for it
    WHACK IT!

well done schtapler
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by J_asonR View Post
    Sounds good! What do you bowl? I'm guessing it was a shorter game? Maybe 20 overs each way?
    Well, our opponents were all out for 80 runs in 20 overs.... But it was a 35-over game. Easiest win of the season! Our competition format has 12 games of 35 overs. There are 7 teams and we play all oppenonets twice.

My stock ball is a medium paced (or slow paced ) off-cutter. It really depends on how the seam lands. The once-an-over variation ball is an extra effort quicker one with a terribly unreliable length. It's how I picked the first wicket. It was meant to be yorker length, but ended up as a please-smack-me-full-toss. Batsman didn't pick it up and missed it completely while mowing across the line. The ball landed at the bottom of the off-stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    Well, our opponents were all out for 80 runs in 20 overs.... But it was a 35-over game. Easiest win of the season! Our competition format has 12 games of 35 overs. There are 7 teams and we play all oppenonets twice.

My stock ball is a medium paced (or slow paced ) off-cutter. It really depends on how the seam lands. The once-an-over variation ball is an extra effort quicker one with a terribly unreliable length. It's how I picked the first wicket. It was meant to be yorker length, but ended up as a please-smack-me-full-toss. Batsman didn't pick it up and missed it completely while mowing across the line. The ball landed at the bottom of the off-stump.
    Sounds like you could be quite a hassle to bat against, nice one! Well at least your full toss wasn't too off length if it landed at the base of the stumps.. I remember a game I hit 164, and two balls from the end got a stupidly high full toss that was so slow and dropping, went to swipe across the line and got bowled too.. Very annoying..

But good effort! I like the sound of your competition format, you can probably work out what you'll need to do to get those batsmen out next time which would help!

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one keeping this going and I'm new here.. Does anybody else play weekly cricket?!

So my first XI team played Sway CC on Saturday, we bowled them out for 56, and Marvin Atapattu's cousin (his actual cousin, not a racist remark in the slightest) was the only batsman we couldn't get out. Fortunately giving him a single at the beginning of each over was enough to keep him from getting into his stride. Unfortunately I didn't play much part in the fielding as no catches came to me at 2nd slip, but first and gully got peppered, luckily taking them all!

After a quick turn around (tea scheduled for 5:30pm) our openers went in as confident as anything with such a low score to chase. In the first over, one was out and I was in.. Two more wickets fell around me, and we finished the game on 57-3, and I contributed 34*.

Good game all in all.. Unfortunately the 2's couldn't get their win even with the added support from the majority of the 1st XI and their beverages.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Unfortunately working Saturdays rather punctuates my cricket season during term-time. We've broken up now, though, so should get back in action.

I did omit to mention last weekend's game, however. First XI callup... 22-ball duck in a ten-wicket defeat. The opposition's captain did refer to me as "the best wicket-keeper he's played against in a long time", though - mainly on the grounds that I just stood up to everything and hopefully not at all down to the fact that his son is in my county side...

Had the honour of putting together a group of boys for some workshops with the PCA Masters XI yesterday afternoon - had some good chat about coaching batting with Dean Headley, and also managed to take a diving catch against a tennis ball machine where Andy Caddick and Min Patel had failed to do so moments before.

Summer starts here!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

69(70) last Saturday. Opened and we were chasing 180 odd. Got out when we needed 93 off 96 (shortly after) and I decided I was going to go for it, got a half tracker from a leggie. Rocked back to carve it through/over cover and chopped on. Was devastated.

5(15) last Sunday. Much the same situation except I walked out at 5. Opening batsman who was not out had been on 2*(35) at one point chasing ~210 off 40. He showed no signs of getting on with it despite the RRR being ~6.5, I decided that I was targeting the next ball. Missed it.

This Saturday batting 3 made 0(5) got a short and wide one which I slapped to point. Was livid with myself. Should have been four and up and running. In the end we finished up 15 or so short chasing 152 off 45. I really should have just taken my time and carried my bat.

This Sunday. Hit and giggle. Opened and made 30 odd off 20 odd. Got bored and decided to treat it as middle practice. Eventually clean bowled after an overs worth of attempted 'death batting'. Kept wicket, first time ever that I stood up without a lid. 2 byes down the legside when I was too busy worrying about what might have been about to happen to my teeth. 3 caught behinds and a stumping. One caught behind stood up, one pretty regulation taken in front of first and one top edge running back towards the boundary which I overran and took falling onto my bag.

Decent 2 weekends I guess.

jan
    We have a t20 game on saturday after one month break. Not much cricket going on during summer holiday.
    I have at least added extra practice sessions focusing on the very basic stuff with the bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, any fastbowler's bunny, grainy low-res streams watcher

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    It was hot today. Especially as I hadn't played for a couple of weeks and hadn't been outside much since it turned warm. Got out to the middle and the sun was reflecting off the wicket. Another defeat.

It was hot, wasn't it? We thought we'd done the hard work by bowling Dorchester out for 153, but we only got 89. I took a good, parried-back catch at long leg and was LBW off a significant inside edge for 5.

Faultless umpiring performance. Bye weeks suck.

I know how getting 5 feels! We played top of the league and managed to squeeze out our sixth win in a row, now a strong second place! Kept them down to 186-7 and knocked them off in 42 overs.. Wicket was hard, ball was swinging, a few difficult catches went down when we were fielding but still managed to keep on top of them and keep the score down.

Fielding well, 2 good catches in the slips, after dropping a left handed diving catch which simply didn't stick.. Ended up taking a strong two handed catch, low and right to our fastest bowler(up there at about 78mph according to recent speedo), and then luckily took a left handed catch to get out their top scorer.

Decent game all in all but need to get my head back into my batting game! Not been doing well recently after kicking off the season with 4 centuries in 6 games!

Went on tour this weekend for a wandering side run by the parent of one of the boys I coach... I could possibly have been classed as a "ringer". First time for everything.

I made 57 on Friday night in a T20 with six fours and three sixes: we needed 85 off nine overs and got them comfortably (although this chap finished the job after I got out LBW sweeping), but lost on Saturday failing to defend 208 due to a severe lack of bowling. I'd made 21 before gloving one down the leg-side when I really should have killed some of the children in the playground instead.

As I am a complete nerd, I can also present the following showing my entire life as a batsman. The orange line is a cumulative average - now 1127 @ 12.81

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    good trend.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information