• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is still number one - haters can rightfully ask why.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah man, you win the biggest pressure tourney there is, you're the best team. End of.
Then you don't need the rankings.

The World Cup means more than the rankings, but the rankings are what they are. They shouldn't be artificially altered due to the World Cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WC. Should defo have greater weighting though. Someone like India who were near the top pre-WC should go top after winning it.

Gotta say though, I don't really pay attention to the ODI rankings, because we have the WC. Whereas in Tests, the rankings are something I pay a lot of interest to.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then you don't need the rankings.

The World Cup means more than the rankings, but the rankings are what they are. They shouldn't be artificially altered due to the World Cup.
Why not though? You accrue more ranking points in tennis and golf by winning a major instead of an ATP/ PGA regular event.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why not though? You accrue more ranking points in tennis and golf by winning a major instead of an ATP/ PGA regular event.
I agree that you should get more points for winning World Cup games than you do; they should be weighted a lot higher. It shouldn't be a simple matter of "you win the World Cup and you're #1" though, because then we don't need the rankings at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually though, what do we need the rankings for? Certainly not to determine who plays in the WC... :whistling

vcs

I agree that you should get more points for winning World Cup games than you do; they should be weighted a lot higher. It shouldn't be a simple matter of "you win the World Cup and you're #1" though, because then we don't need the rankings at all.
Yeah, agree. Consistency throughout the year should certainly be factored into the rankings.

Burgey

Oh yeah agree with that, but in the OP I put it in the context of Australia losing to SL before the Ashes and our less than great effort in the WC. I mean all we've done of note lately is minnow bash on Bangladesh and England.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I don't see the point of rankings if you have the WC....who cares about the ranking #? Get rid of them..WC is all you need, unless you were using it for deciding who gets to play in the WC...which clearly the moron brigade aren't.

In Tests, rankings matter cause that's all you have. If/when they start the Test championship (last I heard it was the top four sides), then the Test rankings also become meaningless except to decide who the top four are.

amyswan

Cricket Spectator
I believe India is a better team now so it's unfair to have Australia still on top. They haven't shown any considerable performances in last matches so why to have them still on top. This is injustice with the newly champions.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Aren't West Indies ranked quite low because of when they lost to Bangers when they were ranked pretty much nothing during the player strike? I mean NZ lost 20+ points in our whitewash to them 4-0 and they weren't as low as they were then.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's because the ICC have failed to notice that half their bilateral ODI series are treated as little more than warm up matches.

Remember that ODI in October between India and Australia that had an Indian top order featuring Dhawan, Vijay and Tiwary against Aussie bowling of McKay and Starc? That counts as much as the World Cup Final to these rankings.

Granted, Australia had a poor 2010 but on the whole they've been able to keep their consistency going a lot through these. 5-0 against Pakistan, 6-1 twice against England, hammering Bangladesh, etc.

India meanwhile, and completely reasonably, have thrown everything into their World Cup campaign and that means they have neglected the majority of their ODI cricket, such as sending effectively a second XI to Zimbabwe to get beaten.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They just need to change the weighting accordingly for WC matches. A WC group match should weigh more than a bilateral/tri-series match, a quarter final should weigh more than a group match, a semi more than a quarter and the final the most of them all.