• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Australia

Stronger ATG Side

• Total voters

salman85

International Debutant
Going back to their greatest ever sides,who do you think had the stronger pool of players?
The strongest sides for each team is up for debate,but for the sake of this thread,let's keep this to WI of the 1980s,and Australia of the 2000s.Which team was better?

archie mac

International Coach
I would give it to the Aussie teams of 2000. Really because of Warne. As apart from Harper WIs were never strong in spin. Still on any pitch that favoured pace WI would win everytime.

salman85

International Debutant
They had Lance Gibbs.Not part of the 80's though.But yes i agree Spin has never been their strongest department.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's close enough to have conditions play a role, but also the time period of the game would make a big difference. Something tells me Matt Hayden's out-of-the-crease game would find itself wanting against the Windies' pace battery if he did it on a pacy wicket without body armour, for example.

archie mac

International Coach
They had Lance Gibbs.Not part of the 80's though.But yes i agree Spin has never been their strongest department.
They have had a couple of good spinners including Valentine and Ramadhin (spelling) but as you say none in the 70 (Gibbs at the start), 80 or 90s:)

archie mac

International Coach
It's close enough to have conditions play a role, but also the time period of the game would make a big difference. Something tells me Matt Hayden's out-of-the-crease game would find itself wanting against the Windies' pace battery if he did it on a pacy wicket without body armour, for example.
Agree with this especially if he batted on the wickets of the 80s with MM at his peak:cool:

bagapath

International Captain
from all those who played for windies in the 1980s here is a XI that actually never took the field even once.

greenidge
haynes
richards
lloyd (c)
richardson
gomes
dujon (wk)
marshall
holding
ambrose
garner

versus a XI of the australians who represented their country in the 00s...

hayden
langer
ponting
m.waugh
hussey
s.waugh (c)
gilchrist (wk)
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath

cant choose immediately...

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah agreed. Conversely, the lack of high-quality spin in the WI lineup could be exposed if modern over-rate rules are in effect.

@bagapath. Interesting, but what if you stick to XIs that did actually take the field?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
from all those who played for windies in the 1980s here is a XI that actually never took the field even once.

greenidge
haynes
richards
lloyd (c)
richardson
gomes
dujon (wk)
marshall
holding
ambrose
garner

hayden
langer
ponting
m.waugh
hussey
s.waugh (c)
gilchrist (wk)
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath

Would swap Gomes for Lloyd (minor concern) :)

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain

greenidge
haynes
richards
lloyd (c)
richardson
gomes
dujon (wk)
marshall
holding
ambrose
garner

hayden
langer
ponting
m.waugh
hussey
s.waugh (c)
gilchrist (wk)
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath

Marto for Mussey.Rest are fine.

salman85

International Debutant
I think the WI side was more intimidating.The Australians were professional and efficient,but for pure destructive cricket,WI may just edge it.I've always believed that a quality pacer is more likely to intimidate the opposition compared to a quality spinner,simply because of the 'fear' associated with an express fast bowler.The game during the 1980s was more brutal for lack of a better word,and fast bowlers did go out to inflict more physical damage to the batsmen as compared to today.Different line and lengths,lesser protective equipment for batsmen etc.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
The Windies were unbeaten in a Test series from 1981 thru to 1995....

That's an unbeaten run that the Aussies were never able to match. That's why it was such big news around the world when the Aussies finally beat Richie Richardson's team in 1995.

smash84

The Tiger King
Damn....I was thinking of making this thread....Salman beat me to it......WI probably but it is damn close.....

smash84

The Tiger King
agree with Salman, the WI team seemed to be more brutal....the Aussie team more clinical.......if you know what I mean

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be interesting to compare W. Indies and Australia's ODI teams also during their period of dominance. In the Tests, it's too close to call, but in ODIs I'd rate Australia ahead by a decent margin.