Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnson vs broad

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    At the end of the day who would you prefer, the dream-spell-every-5-matches that you get from Johnson and utter filth in between where he'll take a few wickets but leak so many runs that it makes the entire attack less effective, or the dream-spell-every-10-matches but bowls tight, probing bowling that makes the entire attack more penetrative that you get from Broad?

I'll pick the latter. Pressure bowling is a severely underrated tactic nowadays. Too many bowlers trying to be bloody heroes than to just bowl in a partnership for 10 overs for 20 runs.
    IMO, Johnson's leakage of runs is seriously overrated by how bad he looks looks when he's leaking runs while the other bowlers leak runs through pitched up balls with a chance of taking wickets et al.

If I had to pick one for India, I'd take Johnson without a doubt. In the end, he bowled extremely well in India and basically he's a bowler capable of winning a match on his own and just not taking a wicket when he's not bowling well(It's not like he becomes 5 rpo expensive). Only Steyn of the other bowlers can win matches on his own and it's an incredible asset to have.

This does not mean I consider Johnson Steyn's equal or even Zaheer/Anderson's equal but I do consider him a comfortably better bowler than Stuart Broad.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Probably a UTI.
    Uterus transmitted infection?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    His bad bowling is certainly not overstated. I sat through Harmison's darkest days and he never plumbed the depths of Johnson at Lord's 09 or Brisbane 10, just to give two examples. The guy is a joke.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Broad is blonde. Disqualified on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    IMO, Johnson's leakage of runs is seriously overrated by how bad he looks looks when he's leaking runs while the other bowlers leak runs through pitched up balls with a chance of taking wickets et al.
    Not at all. Constantly goes for over 4 an over. That's just dire. Yes, he's not as rubbish as made out by the horror wides and such, but going at over 4 an over constantly is just bad.

If I had to pick one for India, I'd take Johnson without a doubt. In the end, he bowled extremely well in India and basically he's a bowler capable of winning a match on his own and just not taking a wicket when he's not bowling well(It's not like he becomes 5 rpo expensive). Only Steyn of the other bowlers can win matches on his own and it's an incredible asset to have.
    Yes, he'll win one match out of five to ten for you on his own. But how many matches will he lose for you in between?

I mean look at the 09 Ashes. Hilfenhaus did bowl well, was penetrating (highest wicket taker, remember) and all but we just weren't able to build any pressure whilst Johnson was bowling for three tests, which made it bloody hard for us to take wickets at speed because England could just sit on our good bowlers, playing them very cautiously, and then cash in on the rank balls bowled by Johnson - or by the good bowlers trying too hard in desperation for a wicket.
    Last edited by Spark; 15-01-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    His bad bowling is certainly not overstated. I sat through Harmison's darkest days and he never plumbed the depths of Johnson at Lord's 09 or Brisbane 10, just to give two examples. The guy is a joke.
    Well, maybe because I've sat through Ishant Sharma give 35 runs per opening spell everytime with 7 no-balls each time. I'm a little more liberal to excuse a bowler going at 4.5 and more desperate for a bowler taking 10 wickets a game.

Yes, he'll win one match out of five to ten for you on his own. But how many matches will he lose for you in between?
    Thats not a bad thing by itself. Between Sreesanth and Johnson, we'd have two players winning us 2 out of 5 matches on their own.

It's a bit like the Sehwag situation. Only he's a batsman, and his failures don't play out on the field over a prolonged pariod of time as they do for bowlers.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 15-01-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Not at all. Constantly goes for over 4 an over. That's just dire. Yes, he's not as rubbish as made out by the horror wides and such, but going at over 4 an over constantly is just bad.

I mean look at the 09 Ashes. Hilfenhaus did bowl well, was penetrating (highest wicket taker, remember) and all but we just weren't able to build any pressure whilst Johnson was bowling for three tests, which made it bloody hard for us to take wickets at speed because England could just sit on our good bowlers, playing them very cautiously, and then cash in on the rank balls bowled by Johnson - or by the good bowlers trying too hard in desperation for a wicket.
    Assuming this post is still in the Indian context, We have either Ishant or Sree conceding runs at about an equal amount almost every game.

Thats not a bad thing by itself. Between Sreesanth and Johnson, we'd have two players winning us 2 out of 5 matches on their own.

It's a bit like the Sehwag situation. Only he's a batsman, and his failures don't play out on the field over a prolonged pariod of time as they do for bowlers.
    Sehwag is more consistent than that though.

A better comparison is actually Marcus North. How much **** did he cop for being awesome for one innings, horrible for the next ten?

---

FTR I'd still pick him in our team simply because he does have the ability to win matches, and we can't seem to do it without him. But in the other strong teams with a genuine pace spearhead then he'd probably be relegated to 3rd seamer.
    Last edited by Spark; 15-01-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Broad has bowled excellently in partnership with Anderson throughout 2010. It's not a simple case of who has the better average, although Broad should maybe have cashed in a bit more in the English summer.

I couldn't care less what the numbers say, Johnson is a complete liability for at least half the games he plays. Broad's role in the team isn't to be the strike bowler, it's to keep control and I think he does it fairly well.
    Not sure you can say that makes up for his pretty average record, tbh. Once Broad went home in the Ashes, his replacements bowled far better than he had IMO, and his absence was hardly detrimental to Jimmy's form.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Don't think Bresnan bowled better than Broad for mine. Got a few absolute gift wickets to be honest.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    North isn't a good comparison. As others have said, Johnson still has the knack of picking up a few wickets even while bowling tripe. North isn't able to scratch together an ugly, gritty 30 or 40 when it's not his day.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Not sure you can say that makes up for his pretty average record, tbh. Once Broad went home in the Ashes, his replacements bowled far better than he had IMO, and his absence was hardly detrimental to Jimmy's form.
    Tremlett certainly did bowl better than Broad, you won't hear me arguing otherwise. However, I don't for one second believe that he wasn't missed at Perth, when Finn was getting flayed to all corners. And Bresnan bowled really well, but I'd have enjoyed seeing Broad get the chance to bowl at the MCG. It's not really a fair comparison, IMO.

vcs
    I prefer Johnson's broad.
    I mean, its a no-brainer when the competition is Broad's johnson.

Agree with Spark, BTW, but I've long been a bit of a Johnson detractor.. not that I particularly like Broad either.

Banned
    I prefer Johnson's broad.
    I mean, its a no-brainer when the competition is Broad's johnson.
    *alleged

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information