• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

jeevan

International 12th Man
There may be something in player management of PCB vs BCCI as well. It may be that a zero attempt at doing anything (PCB) is actually better for producing a line of bowlers from raw talent than is doing a half assed job of it (BCCI).

smash84

The Tiger King
There may be something in player management of PCB vs BCCI as well. It may be that a zero attempt at doing anything (PCB) is actually better for producing a line of bowlers from raw talent than is doing a half assed job of it (BCCI).
:laugh:

good one

angad

U19 12th Man
It's a general opinion in India that the Pathan community, which Pakistan has a sizable number of, are extremely strong people genetically. Might have something to do with it.
Pathans, Jatts, Rajput, Gujjar - These 4 clans are classified as warrior group.

Xuhaib

International Coach
funny but could be true heard an interview from Mohammad Irshad a domestic fast bowler who was rumored to be as quick as Shoaib that his career hit a bump when Aaqib Javed the bowling coach made adjustments to his bowling action and he never recovered think Anwar Ali another upcoming pace bowler gave a similar statement.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I guess we are better off looking for swing bowlers like Asif in India than looking for Akhtars.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I guess we are better off looking for swing bowlers like Asif in India than looking for Akhtars.
Asif was mainly a seam bowler he could swing it but getting movement from seam was his forte,no reason India can't produce fast bowlers similar to Pakistan for some reason Indian seamers are afraid in pitching it up only recently have India started getting fast bowlers who want to bowl full maybe the Zaheer is already starting to show over there.

Fusion

Global Moderator
To look at the inverse, why can't Pakistan produce great spin bowlers like India?
I get your point, but the gap between India's spinners and Pakistan's is less than the gap between Pakistan's quicks and India's. Qadir, Mushtaq, and Saqlain were world class spinners at one time or another.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I get your point, but the gap between India's spinners and Pakistan's is less than the gap between Pakistan's quicks and India's. Qadir, Mushtaq, and Saqlain were world class spinners at one time or another.
yeah Indian spinners do have more longevity then Pakistani spinners but in terms of quality the difference is not as big.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Qadir, Saqlain, etc. > Kapil, Zaheer, etc.
How do you figure that? I think it's generally accepted that:
Imran,Wasim,Waqar etc >>> Kapil, Zaheer etc
Chandra, Gupte, Pras, Bedi etc >> Qadir, Saqlain etc
and finally (Imran,Wasim, Waqar + Qadir,Saqlain) >> (Kapil, Zaheer etc + Gupte etc)

but how do you come to the above conclusion? India's produced 3 good pace bowlers (five counting Nissar, Amar Singh) in Kapil, Srinath and now Zaheer who've taken ~ 950 wickets among them and won a few games too. Basically they've outlasted Pakistani spinners in terms of body of work. I can recall only Kaneria, Qadir, Saqlain as having 200+ wickets and none is 250+ iirc).

It's an apples to apples comparison in the sense that Kapil, Qadir are contemporaries, as are Srinath,Saqlain and Zaheer, Kaneria.

Of course Indian spinners - Kumble and Bhajji have and will, respectively, outlast even Kapil by quite a large margin. Bhajji is approaching 400 wickets and is just 30.

Edit: Surprisingly Kaneria @ 261 wickets in 61 matches has been more productive than Qadir, 236 wickets in 67 matches. Saqlain is 208 wickets in 49 tests. Hadn't expected that...

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Agreed. And u can add Iqbal Qasim to the list of notable Pakistani spinners. But yes the gap between Pakistani pacers and Indian pacers is much much greater than the gap between Indian spinners and Pakistani spinners.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indian pace bowlers have contributed heavily to every away Test we've won in the last decade (two Tests each in England, Australia, WI, Pakistan and SA, one in NZ) so they have exploited good conditions whenever they've got the chance.

masterblaster

International Captain
It's an age old question but you have to say at the moment that Zaheer is better than any fast bowler playing for Pakistan at the moment. He's not in the league of a Wasim Akram or a Waqar Younis but with the current crop of fast bowlers Pakistan has, Zaheer at the moment is a far better fast bowler.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's an age old question but you have to say at the moment that Zaheer is better than any fast bowler playing for Pakistan at the moment. He's not in the league of a Wasim Akram or a Waqar Younis but with the current crop of fast bowlers Pakistan has, Zaheer at the moment is a far better fast bowler.
If Asif and Aamer weren't surrounded by controversy I'd say they were both better than Zaheer, Asif being fairly better.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Asif and Aamer weren't surrounded by controversy I'd say they were both better than Zaheer, Asif being fairly better.
Agree with Asif but strongly disagree with Aamer. I will say that Aamer had the potential to be a fair bit better Zaheer but he hadn't quite convinced me yet.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Agree with Asif but strongly disagree with Aamer. I will say that Aamer had the potential to be a fair bit better Zaheer but he hadn't quite convinced me yet.
Aamer took time to settle in which was natural given his minimal first class exp but he had taken 38 wickets in his last 8 matches of course Zaheer triumphs over him for exp but even in his rookie season he was matching Zaheer whose having the best season of his career.

smash84

The Tiger King
To look at the inverse, why can't Pakistan produce great spin bowlers like India?
I think a better inverse would have been why Pakistan can't produce great batsmen like India especially in the last 10 years or so??? Indian batsmen >> Pak batsman.

The difference between Pak and Indian spinners is not that great IMO.

smash84

The Tiger King
Aamer took time to settle in which was natural given his minimal first class exp but he had taken 38 wickets in his last 8 matches of course Zaheer triumphs over him for exp but even in his rookie season he was matching Zaheer whose having the best season of his career.
awta. The way Amir was moving up the bowling charts one could tell he had the talent to be like Wasim Akram. Even at 18 he could move the ball like Zaheer does now. Experience could have helped.

Asif was a different demon altogether. I would pick him over any other fast bowler in the world bar Steyn. That guy could set the batsman up like no one else. Of course he did not have the bounce that McGrath had but he could bowl that kind of line and could generate more movement than McGrath. He definitely had the talent to go far but had a wild streak that could at times put Shoaib Akhtar to shame. IT got to him in the end.