• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to popularize Cricket?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think there are two ways to get cricket more popular.

First is showing the game on free tv in all coutries which arn't big on cricket and not only t20, but even 50 over games and test full highlights
Rugby, baseball and ice hockey have now been shown free on Indian TV for over a decade. Wonder how many Indian kids have taken up?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Rugby, baseball and ice hockey have now been shown free on Indian TV for over a decade. Wonder how many Indian kids have taken up?
Showing on Tv helps a lot. At least people around the world will knw that a sport called Cricket exists. I have come across so many Europeans, Americans & Chinese who don't even knw wat Cricket is.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Its pointless to debate over the rules, you just want kids to play the game, bat, ball and box for stumps. as long as it looks like cricket.. everything after that will fall in place over time... if a nation is not exposed to baseball then cricket needs to move in, grab the kids young show it on tv. get it in the schools

The ICC should put together a gentlemens league together, players from the test nations making up 3-4 teams of retired stars. and young upcoming players. to travel the world promoting the game. playing a 20-20 brand. Im thinking Cairns, Fleming, Waugh, Inzi, Lara and many others..

hey i dont know im coming up with ideas.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Why would the non cricketing world care about Lara, Cairns and Waugh? They are just a team of names. It could be a team of Lambert, Such and Twose and the care factor would still be the same.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
fair point...

maybe countries on the verge afghanastan, kenya, holland, ireland, etc.. might like the genltemens team to test their national side..

juro

U19 12th Man
The best way to get people to like cricket is to get them to play cricket. Due to the length of international games, very few people who are unfamiliar with cricket will even be willing to sit down for 3 hours to watch it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rather than taking the game to next planet or galaxy, ICC should improve the cricketing strucures in associate nations such as SCOTLAND
The cricketing structure in Scotland is fine as it is. There's apparently more cricket clubs per capita in Scotland than there are in England.

However, cricket has never really risen above the level of a hobby pastime up here. If you're good at cricket and want to play professionally, there's a choice of 18 clubs in a good FC set up a few hour's drive away.

jashan83

U19 Captain
India did not had a Baseball team for long. Now they just formed a team. Rugby's profile has picked up over time. With IRB's effort Rugby has over 20000 registered players. These 2 games have been the strongest ever. And due to IRB's effort Rugby is played in more nation then if they had a Cricket like attitude.

I would love to play Ice Hockey but am not able to find grounds in Mumbai :happy:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
India did not had a Baseball team for long. Now they just formed a team. Rugby's profile has picked up over time. With IRB's effort Rugby has over 20000 registered players. These 2 games have been the strongest ever. And due to IRB's effort Rugby is played in more nation then if they had a Cricket like attitude.

I would love to play Ice Hockey but am not able to find grounds in Mumbai :happy:
20,000 players is nothing in a country of India's size.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Rugby is primarily a winter game played by men with oddly shaped balls. India has no winter to speak of, and our balls have a prominent seam.

juro

U19 12th Man
And do you polish only one side of them? Just remember, there are strict rules about picking at the seam...