• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting with a runner

Xuhaib

International Coach
Worst rule in cricket we moan on so much stuff but this gets unnoticed should never be allowed unless you do something major during a game.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have to admit Sehwag's "discomfort" excu-I mean, reason had me laughing for a while.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'm massively anti-runner.

Ironically removing the rule would have robbed us of some all-time great knocks, but nevertheless the rule makes no sense. Particularly the way it is enforced nowdays where you can just be tired/have cramps.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
only sport where you can get someone to run for you. pretty gay rule :laugh:

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I'd usually be against it, but it's worked for both sides. Sehwag scored a heap of runs with his and so did Ryder.

On the other hand, you could argue that keeping injuries from worsening is good for the game. I don't think it's particularly any kind of advantage - it causes confusion often.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
only sport where you can get someone to run for you. pretty gay rule :laugh:
It's also the only sport played for 5 days long and without substitutes. Maybe a designated 12th man should have to run. I dunno. It's pretty obvious that injuries happen in a 5 day game often.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but let's forget this match and look at it overall. This match it's been hilariously enforced, so at the end of the day it cancels out, but from an objective point of view overall the rule is a bit silly.

Endurance is a big part of test match cricket. But having someone just run for you once you get tired from the heat is crazy.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's also the only sport played for 5 days long and without substitutes. Maybe a designated 12th man should have to run. I dunno. It's pretty obvious that injuries happen in a 5 day game often.
Good point. Guess they need to be way more specific with the conditions allowed for runners. Does the fielding captain have a say whether a runner is allowed?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have no problem doing without the runner completely - if you can't bat, then retire hurt. I can see the point of view with regard to preventing longer injuries, but surely if you're injured then staying at the crease and batting even with a runner isn't in your very best interests.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problem with the runner law though it could be tweaked. It is a team game and no substitutes are allowed. Perhaps if a runner is required then the batsman should have to retire hurt and then could only come back as the last man with a runner. He still gets a runner but there is a penalty to pay.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have no problem with the runner law though it could be tweaked. It is a team game and no substitutes are allowed. Perhaps if a runner is required then the batsman should have to retire hurt and then could only come back as the last man with a runner. He still gets a runner but there is a penalty to pay.
I love that idea!

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
A general question, but when was a runner first used in a Test match? It would also be interesting to know the most runs scored by a batsman in an innings with someone running for him.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Don't have a problem as long as the opposite captain doesn't mind.

Captains should mind more though. :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hate the runner rule, but if it has to exist then Goughy's idea is a good one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think it is an ok rule, tbh... Maybe stricter enforcement yes.. But you gotta give these guys some slack.. So much heat out there in some places when you play and it could take a toll.. And Sehwag seems genuinely in trouble.. Notice how little he bowled.. I am sure Dhoni would have used him more if he could.. He used freakin' Raina and Sachin..