• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which of these teams do you think would win in a test match?

Which of these teams do you think would win in a test match?

• Total voters

Mat111

Cricket Spectator
Out of these two teams, which do you think would win a test mach?

Team 1
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Ricky Pointing - Captain
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist - Wicket keeper
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Wasim Arkram - Opening Bowler
10. Shane Warne
11. Curtly Ambrose - Opening Bowler

12. Andrew Symonds
Backup Batsman is Virender Sehwag
Backup Bowler is Muttiah Muralitharan

Team 2
1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Javed Miandad
3. Barry Richards
4. Don Bradman
5. Viv Richards - Captain
6. Garry Sobers
7. Kumar Sangakkara - Wicket keeper
8. Imran Kahn
9. Jeff Thomson
10. Malcolm Marshall - Opening Bowler
11.Dennis Lillee - Opening Bowler

12. Kapil Dev
Backup Batsman is Steve Waugh
Backup Bowler is James Laker

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Team 1's more balanced - since they have more recent players I voted for it. I haven't seen a lot of T2 play.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bradman, Sobers and Marshall. Best batsman, best allrounder and best bowler. Makes it easy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Team 2 with ease. Simply a better team than Team 1. Bradman is worth two batsmen alone. You could make a case for Team 1 if the pitch was turning, but Warne in general found success on the same wickets that favoured the pace bowlers.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was trying to figure out whether there was a theme between the two teams - it looked like the first was more recent, however Sangakkara appeared at random in the second side. Which would win because it's got Bradman in it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was trying to figure out whether there was a theme between the two teams - it looked like the first was more recent, however Sangakkara appeared at random in the second side. Which would win because it's got Bradman in it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

smash84

The Tiger King

Bradman is not the only reason team 2 should win. I would rate the bowling attack for team 2 better than that of team 1 (except on a turner)

Last edited:

Maximus0723

State Regular
Even on turner I would take my chances with team 2.
Murli and Warne don't perform well vs greats. Imran does well in subcontinent. Marshall can do anything anywhere and you still have Laker and Sobers to worry about.
On top, other side has Bradman, Miandad, V Richards, Sobers, Sanga...all very good players of spin.

Team one's openers don't perform well vs. top teams. Team 2's middle order is good vs. pace but they are all contemporary and play with similar style.

Side by side
Just Batting

Gavaskar >> Hayden
B Richards >> Jayasuriya or B Richards > Sehwag
Viv Richards > Ponting (close)
Bradman >>> Anyone, Lara/Tendulkar
Lara/Tendulkar > Miandad (pretty close)
Sobers > Kallis
Gilly>Sanga (pretty close) (Gilly plays quicker and is use to this position, sanga has more average but hasn't played in this position)
Imran = Hadlee
Wasim > Marshall (close)
Warne > Thompson or Laker (close)

Side by side
Just Bowling

Imran = Hadlee
Marshall > Wasim
Ambrose > Lillee (pretty close)
Warne/Murli > Laker or Warne/Murli >>Thompson
Sobers = Kallis

Captains: Bradman or Imran >> Ponting
Fielding: : Side 2 > Side 1 (close)

Even if you remove Bradman and one of Lara/Tendulkar, side 2 still has superior batting. Both side has close to equal bowling and fielding.

Mat111

Cricket Spectator
The reason why I posted this is because one of my Dads friends and I both decided to make up a team of what each of us thought were the best players ever. The only thing was that we couldn't pick the same players. So now he thinks his team would smash mine and I think mine would smash his. So that's why I posted it here to get other peoples opinions and to settle it once and for all! I am younger than he is so that probably explains why my team is full of more modern players than his. I don't really know why we chose a backup bowler and batter, but I think it was because it was hard to narrow it down to just 11 players and since we don't know what the wicket would be like it made it hard. I suppose you could think of them as being in the squad and depending on conditions and the wicket we would choose a team from that squad.

Spark

Global Moderator
:laugh: