• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian Selectors

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is there anyone who can sack the Australian Selectors?

They get paid the big $$$ (figuratively speaking) to make the tough decisions, though at the moment they seem to be taking the John Howard stance on policy making and doing nothing at all, hoping it will work itself out.

Australia have dropped to fifth in the test rankings.....WAKE UP! The current team isn't good enough.

Noone could convince me that this team:

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

would beat:

Katich
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Khawaja/Smith (if second spinner is required)
Paine
O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Bollinger

I know injuries play their part, but Australia has nothing to benefit from not adopting a youth policy. The oldies have proven they're not up to it. Time to look towards Australias next shot at dominance.

Deepest batting lineup in world cricket!

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Is there anyone who can sack the Australian Selectors?

They get paid the big $$$ (figuratively speaking) to make the tough decisions, though at the moment they seem to be taking the John Howard stance on policy making and doing nothing at all, hoping it will work itself out.

Australia have dropped to fifth in the test rankings.....WAKE UP! The current team isn't good enough.

Noone could convince me that this team:

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

would beat:

Katich
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Khawaja/Smith (if second spinner is required)
Paine
O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Bollinger

I know injuries play their part, but Australia has nothing to benefit from not adopting a youth policy. The oldies have proven they're not up to it. Time to look towards Australias next shot at dominance.

Deepest batting lineup in world cricket!
Perfect post but for the Howard reference - Rudd was Mr Do Nothing.

Agree so much RE your teams though mate.

Why cling to failures?...especially when they're old failures.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perfect post but for the Howard reference - Rudd was Mr Do Nothing.

Agree so much RE your teams though mate.

Why cling to failures?...especially when they're old failures.
We clung to Howard for 11 years though...

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lo, at no one caring about this thread.
To be fair, having now read a few pages of the Ashes thread it could have gone in there.

I would like to know if anyone can sack the selectors though - do the selectors select their own replacements?

tooextracool

International Coach
They've always been a bunch of nitwits but its only become more noticeable lately because they have to actually identify talents on the domestic circuit rather than picking your random pro at the domestic level and watching them dazzle at the international level.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Love that the Aussie selectors get mentioned so much over the last 2 or so years and Indian selectors just about never get mentioned.

Nice turn around from the days of 2004 or so.. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In this post McWarne era of lack of legends in the team. AUS need good tactical selection to make the best decisions possible @ least 80-90% of the time. Just like how a team without greats like Allan Border after 1984 needed a good tactical to lead AUS.

I would love to see the current panel replaces by any combination of the likes of Mark Taylor, the Chappell Bros, Warne & maybe Border. Maybe Benaud if he was 20 years younger, hell even Jim Maxwell.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hilfenhaus is clearly in Australia's best test side at the moment, and leave Howard out of this!

But yes, they've certainly made some pretty dubious calls the past 2-3 years. The handling of Krezja, Phil Hughes, Casson sticks out in my mind. I think the one thing they really deserve credit for over the past couple of years is putting faith in Shane Watson and giving him the chance to flourish, although even that is probably more to do with him finally being fit than the wisdom of the selectors.

iamdavid

International Debutant
They've always been a bunch of nitwits but its only become more noticeable lately because they have to actually identify talents on the domestic circuit rather than picking your random pro at the domestic level and watching them dazzle at the international level.
This is true tbh, even when the team was dominating I can still recall them doing things like giving Brad Williams a test cap over the likes of Inness and Kasprowicz/ watching Katich score a hundred and then leaving him out of the next test for Andrew Symonds.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dropping Katich in 04 was awful. Could understand Williams getting a go, but Matty Inness sure was a very good bowler who wouldnt have let down his skipper in Aussie colours. Critics said he didnt have an inswinger to the right handers, and he was a bit predictable, I thought he bowled really well for both states. Wasnt he injured that summer? Kasper got picked again shortly after Williams failed to impress in SL in 04, so he did get a fair go.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think that he (Inness) was fine that summer, got glandular the next one IIRC. Took some wickets against the Indian team too that summer. Had a decent innie, remember the next year he rolled us with 7/14 and I reckon there were a few LBWs amongst those...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andre and I railed against Inness being left out in favour of Bracken at the time. Still rate it a fairly poor decision but probably fairly meaningless now (except to Inness I guess). Don't think OZ were denied one of our great quicks.

EDIT: May even have referred to it as Inness-gate at least once.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Indian and English selectors are the best atm.

Indian selctors have done a fantastic job in introducing young batsman gradually without making the likes of Laxman and Dravid feel they are being pushed out.England has made some really good selections giving Swann a realtivley late debut was a master stroke. Monty was younger and they could have continue to bank on him but they took the punt on the older guy, the handling of young guys like Bell and Broad who had a difficult start has also been good they continued to back their talent and are now being rewarded,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Broad may be a dickhead, but whoever got in his ear after Waterboy hit him for six 6s in a friggin World Cup event, and told him that these things happen and to keep persevering, deserves a lot of credit.

Incidents like that can ruin a bowler's confidence, not only in the short term, but the long term as well. Instead Broad has blossomed.

Andre

International Regular
Andre and I railed against Inness being left out in favour of Bracken at the time. Still rate it a fairly poor decision but probably fairly meaningless now (except to Inness I guess). Don't think OZ were denied one of our great quicks.

EDIT: May even have referred to it as Inness-gate at least once.
Still frustrates me to this day that Bracken got the gig. Inness wouldn't have been an all-time great but at least was a very good red ball bowler and deserved a chance. Would have been the more likely of the 2 to take Test wickets. Turned out to be a bit of a moot point anyway as neither really had much of a Test career, Bracken struggled and Inness never got a go.

iamdavid

International Debutant
England has made some really good selections giving Swann a realtivley late debut was a master stroke. Monty was younger and they could have continue to bank on him but they took the punt on the older guy, the handling of young guys like Bell and Broad who had a difficult start has also been good they continued to back their talent and are now being rewarded,
I find it pretty ironic that the English selectors are reaping the rewards for some calculated risks and excellent handling of their young talent, while the Australian panel is getting flack from all and sundry for chopping and changing like nitwits and their inflexibility with the senior players. Pretty much the exact opposite of the situation we had throughout the 90's - early 00's.