• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-War Cricket Draft

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As this is my first draft, could someone tell me what the rules are about how quickly you have to make your pick?
You have 24 hours to make your pick from the moment the person before you in the draft order picks. Or from the moment the 24 hours for their pick ends. :)

Jarquis

I thought the majority were 24? I prefer 12 myself, but thought that 24 was standard protocol.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Round 1 Picks
Blakus - WG Grace
Zaremba - SF Barnes
Fredfertang - Wally Hammond
Aussie - JJ Kotze
Himmanv - Bill O'Reilly
Michaelf7777777 - Jack Hobbs
Flyonthewall - Clarrie Grimmett
Marcuss
Pasag
Somerset

Last edited:

fredfertang

For those who know him not a brief pen portrait of Kotze

J J KOTZE

Wisden, in its obituary of Kotze, described him as the fastest bowler who ever played important cricket in South Africa and he was described by Plum Warner as being second only in pace to the legendary Kortright. Kotze was particularly noted for the length of his run up and for his stamina in being able to bowl as quickly at the end of the day as he did at the beginning.

Kotze began his career too early to make any real impact on Test cricket and he played in only three Test matches. The first two were at home against Australia in 1902/03 when he picked up a modest haul of six wickets at 33 apiece. The Australians comfortably defeated their hosts in the two games for which Kotze was selected but he did have the satisfaction of removing, at different times, Trumper, Hill, Gregory and Duff before they had settled in. Kotze's only other Test was in England in 1907 when he bowled 12 wicketless overs in the first Test after which the South Africans decided, on seeing the success of their quartet of googly bowlers that, poor bat and field that Kotze was, he was surplus to requirements.

Altogether in First Class cricket Kotze took 348 wickets at 17 apiece more than a third of those being taken during the 1904 tour of England at a cost of less than 20 apiece. Had South Africa been playing Tests on that tour, and indeed Kotze previous visit in 1901, then his Test record would surely have been more impressive.

In 1907 Kotze was only 28 but he was to appear in only seven more First Class matches and by the age of 32 he had ceased bowling fast. After he gave up playing Kotze was not lost to the game as he became the groundsman at Newlands. He died of heart failure at the comparatively early age of 51 in 1931.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For those who know him not a brief pen portrait of Kotze
Yep.

Also on this DVD GOLDEN GREATS OF CRICKET - BOWLERS

Their is funny part when Peter West was talking about Kotze, when he said in some test match in ENG. He was bowling so fast, that edges he was getting flew to the fieders so quicky, a fair amout of catches where dropped in the slips. His team mates suggested that instead of being annoyed at them, he would have been more forgiving if he had to standing in the slips to his own bowling.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Have to say that I'm delighted with Aussie's pick - I'd never heard of Kotze before and this is part of the reason why I wanted to such a draft - so draftees such as myself and other non-draftees can learn more about some of the more obscure great pre-war cricketers. Great pick, Aussie. :)