• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit the Australian plan has worked. It doesnt matter how much he scores in the 4rth innings now..it has worked 3 times out of 4 and that is a success.

I think other fast bowlers around the world should pick up on what worked for the Australians..

What surprises me though is..the short pitched stuff at the body worked for them on Indian pitches that are meant to be flat but did not work when Sehwag was smashing centuries in Australia where the pitches offer more bounce?
Because none of the 6 tests he has in AUS was on a bouncy surface, all where flat for large portions of all those tests. Plus none of the AUS quicks especially in 03/04 really tried to bounce in him out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because none of the 6 tests he has in AUS was on a bouncy surface, all where flat for large portions of all those tests. Plus none of the AUS quicks especially in 03/04 really tried to bounce in him out.
*weren't good enough to bounce him out.

Sehwag's skittishness against short stuff has been well-known for most of his career and the Aussies had Lee and Gillespie in the side so they were well able to exploit it. The bowlers just didn't bowl well enough.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

Sehwag's skittishness against short stuff has been well-known for most of his career and the Aussies had Lee and Gillespie in the side so they were well able to exploit it. The bowlers just didn't bowl well enough.
Yep, We bowled rubbish that whole series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Precisely.

Also bowling short against Sehwag might be a good strategy because he will go at short balls even if you place a fielder at deep point or deep square leg. But that's more to do with his aggressive intent than his 'weakness'. He is not as bad as a Raina or Rohit Sharama against the short ball. He wouldn't have scored so many runs with so many big scores if he had such a big and obvious weakness.
Yeah I don't think anyone is saying he's weak like those you mention. It's more about effectively trying to contain him and assisting him to his own demise.

I reiterate, if you get a working over, it isn't always the short one that directly gets you out. If you're tucked up for long enough you might throw wood at a wide, full one and get out nicking. People look at the replay and think it's not the short pitched stuff that's done the job, but sometimes it is (not always mind). Liek when Phil Hughes edged that blatantly bounced "catch" to Strauss last year, it wasn't a bouncer that got him out, but the short stuff bowled to him tucked him up and messed with his head.

Sehwag is a lot like Hayden in that you can bowl at his ego. He likes to take it to the bowlers all the time. Drying up his runs sems to mess with his head (and Hayden's for that matter) a lot more than say a Kallis or a Tendulkar is effected by it.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Yes especially in Bracken, Bichel & Williams they weren't good enough to bounce him out.

Lee was a very poor test bowler back then & although he had the pace the bounce him out - he was too eratic for Waugh to consistently depend on him to use such a tactic.

While Gillespie wasn't at his best during that series due to injury.

robelinda

Yes especially in Bracken, Bichel & Williams they weren't good enough to bounce him out.

Lee was a very poor test bowler back then & although he had the pace the bounce him out - he was too eratic for Waugh to consistently depend on him to use such a tactic.

While Gillespie wasn't at his best during that series due to injury.
In all fairness to our bowlers, Sehwag really only punished us once, the rest of the series he was average and didnt kick on after getting decent starts. He nicked quite a few back then so no need to bounce him out. His scores apart from the 195 were 45, 0, 47, 47, 11, 72, 47. Always got good opening stands happening, which was crucial, but only really kicked on once. During the 195 Lee really did try to bounce him out in that first session, and there was a really close call, maybe two. But he got so many pies from MacGill and Lee in between, it was embarrassing to watch as an Aussie, then came the next test where we bowled the worst ive ever seen. Bichel shouldve been persisted with IMO.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In all fairness to our bowlers, Sehwag really only punished us once, the rest of the series he was average and didnt kick on after getting decent starts. He nicked quite a few back then so no need to bounce him out. His scores apart from the 195 were 45, 0, 47, 47, 11, 72, 47. Always got good opening stands happening, which was crucial, but only really kicked on once. During the 195 Lee really did try to bounce him out in that first session, and there was a really close call, maybe two. But he got so many pies from MacGill and Lee in between, it was embarrassing to watch as an Aussie, then came the next test where we bowled the worst ive ever seen. Bichel shouldve been persisted with IMO.
Ye the consistently from Lee back then as i said really didnt allow Waught to trust him with such a tactic. Plus i dont think it was totally seen a weakness in his game in 2003. The first i recall Sehwag looking really vulnerable to at the body short pitched bowling was tests vs ENG & PAK in early 2006.

Plus also if you remember before that test series in the TVS Cup ODI series in IND, with all the big swing the likes of Bracken & Williams got with the white ball, troubling Sehwag alot during that series with inswingers. Bracken failed to replicate that swing with the red-ball during the tests, thus easing Sehwag's woes.

Bichel was a honest bowler, nothing more really.That series vs IND on those flat pitches exposed his limitations vs top quality batsmen in tests TBF. He had to lose his place especially with Kasper making a mid career revivial at the time.

robelinda

Ye the consistently from Lee back then as i said really didnt allow Waught to trust him with such a tactic. Plus i dont think it was totally seen a weakness in his game in 2003. The first i recall Sehwag looking really vulnerable to at the body short pitched bowling was tests vs ENG & PAK in early 2006.

Plus also if you remember before that test series in the TVS Cup ODI series in IND, with all the big swing the likes of Bracken & Williams got with the white ball, troubling Sehwag alot during that series with inswingers. Bracken failed to replicate that swing with the red-ball during the tests, thus easing Sehwag's woes.

Bichel was a honest bowler, nothing more really.That series vs IND on those flat pitches exposed his limitations vs top quality batsmen in tests TBF. He had to lose his place especially with Kasper making a mid career revivial at the time.
Yeah I was just thinking about that TVS cup, GREAT series, Gilly was in prime form. Sehwag was troubled heaps by the swinging ball so i'm sure thats why we didnt try and test him too much in australia with bouncers, especially with Bracken in the test team.

Didnt we play all the NZ games in that TVS cup during the day time? Really early too? NZ batted first each game and were bundled.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I was just thinking about that TVS cup, GREAT series, Gilly was in prime form. Sehwag was troubled heaps by the swinging ball so i'm sure thats why we didnt try and test him too much in australia with bouncers, especially with Bracken in the test team.

Didnt we play all the NZ games in that TVS cup during the day time? Really early too? NZ batted first each game and were bundled.
Bracken didn't get the red-ball to swing during the tests, thats why.

I think all the games AUS played vs NZ was in the day yea. I remember one of the games @ Pune where AUS won in the last over or something.