• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where to now for Pakistan?

bagapath

International Captain
That aside, my original point stands. More test playing nations, playing at a high quality standard, is better for the game. This is pretty obvious.
may be, may be not. but pakistan getting ostracized from world cricket will not affect international cricket at all.south africa was cut off for 20 years and cricket survived without them. the reality is, pakistan is not as professional a team as australia or as financially powerful as india. so them being not there in the international fold would matter very little - if at all - to anybody outside pakistan.

tooextracool

International Coach
Why should an entire generation of cricketers suffer because of what was done by few individuals. Pakistan cricket does not need a ban, it needs help.

And to get that help they should first need to start cleaning their house, it starts with the players involved, they should be banned for life regardless of who they are. Then the administrators, they should be kicked out right now.

Pakistan cricket should be banned only if PCB runs another sham investigation. It is about time ICC takes stand and force PCB to act.
Yeah I agree with this. Banning Pakistan from cricket is about the worse way to resolve the issue. Even though the players are involved in this, if you ask me the PCB is the one that is most at fault because they never really eradicated any of the problems in the past. Asif and Akthar shouldn't be playing cricket, neither should Yousuf and a couple of other cricketers. Having a soft corner for the likes of Akram as well as certain other cricketers in the past is very much the problem. Corruption has been running rife within the PCB for over a decade and its time for ICC to take a stand and get rid of all the rats that are currently running lose within that nutcase of an organization.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I agree with this. Banning Pakistan from cricket is about the worse way to resolve the issue. Even though the players are involved in this, if you ask me the PCB is the one that is most at fault because they never really eradicated any of the problems in the past. Asif and Akthar shouldn't be playing cricket, neither should Yousuf and a couple of other cricketers. Having a soft corner for the likes of Akram as well as certain other cricketers in the past is very much the problem. Corruption has been running rife within the PCB for over a decade and its time for ICC to take a stand and get rid of all the rats that are currently running lose within that nutcase of an organization.
What makes you think the ICC has any right to dictate to the PCB their management structure? The only option open to them at a cricket-board level really is to either keep them involved or boycott them.

tooextracool

International Coach
What makes you think the ICC has any right to dictate to the PCB their management structure? The only option open to them at a cricket-board level really is to either keep them involved or boycott them.
Think the ICC should have every right to dictate terms at the moment. Either the PCB accepts the proposed management structure or they can forget about playing cricket. As it stands no one wants to tour Pakistan so I dont think the PCB has the right to actually argue against any proposals that are made.

Jezroy

State Captain
How exactly?

The human aspect aside, I can't say that there's been a moment in the last 5 years where I've wished that we could have a late 90s era competitive Zimbabwe.
I have. I think (especially at the 99 World Cup), that team with Johnson, Flower, and Streak at the forefront added a lot to world cricket for mine.

howardj

International Coach
You can't play cricket in the country because of security risks.

There is a recent history of dodgy results, spot fixing if not completely throwing matches.

They've had issues retaining their players, who are banned and the unbanned, with a revolving captaincy door.

Some of their players have been caught with performance enhancing drugs.

Other than that though... :ph34r:

Jezroy

State Captain
I wonder how England are feeling right now? They can't want to play these guys. I'm sure Sth Africa wonder if the series in UAE is going to be worth it, and I know I would rather have any other team coming to NZ next season. These guys play so much cricket nowadays - to see a Pakistan team with so many issues hanging over them play, and the way that the Lords match just became meaningless, just seems such a waste of time. It's very sad for the likes of Swann, Trott, and Broad - who's achievements in this test suddenly seem completely overshadowed and belittled.

I'm gutted by this, and I hope that anyone caught in match/spot fixing gets at least a 5 year ban. Maybe spot fixing gets you a 5 year ban, match fixing gets you a 10 year ban (effectively a life ban for many players 25 and over). They need to come down hard on this, because players need to know, if you match fix, it will not be tolerated.

tooextracool

International Coach
I have. I think (especially at the 99 World Cup), that team with Johnson, Flower, and Streak at the forefront added a lot to world cricket for mine.
Really? They were competitive in ODI cricket maybe but they were still comfortably the worst team in both forms of the game. If you ask me, there still remain question marks over the manner in which they got to the round of 6, especially considering that Hansie Cronje was at the very prime of his match fixing days.

Jezroy

State Captain
Really? They were competitive in ODI cricket maybe but they were still comfortably the worst team in both forms of the game. If you ask me, there still remain question marks over the manner in which they got to the round of 6, especially considering that Hansie Cronje was at the very prime of his match fixing days.
I think that 99 Zim team were far and away a better team than the current Bangladesh team, and as painful as BANG results can be sometimes, for me they still add something to world cricket. It is still interesting watching their progress and celebrate their (however small) victories amongst their abject failures.

Fair point on the Hansie SA result though. But he didn't have anything to do with that Neil Johnson century vs Australia.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well yes, the class of 1999 was test and ODI class which cannot be said about the current Bangladesh lot. They pushed a lot of teams close and they nearly won a test in the WI with Ambrose and Walsh playing. But their ability does get overstated sometimes.

Jezroy

State Captain
Well yes, the class of 1999 was test and ODI class which cannot be said about the current Bangladesh lot. They pushed a lot of teams close and they nearly won a test in the WI with Ambrose and Walsh playing. But their ability does get overstated sometimes.
Pretty much because Andy Flower was such a great player I reckon.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think the ICC should have every right to dictate terms at the moment. Either the PCB accepts the proposed management structure or they can forget about playing cricket. As it stands no one wants to tour Pakistan so I dont think the PCB has the right to actually argue against any proposals that are made.
What they should be able to do and what they are able to do are different things. Like I said, the ICC can either ban Pakistan outright or not. That's it. The hiring and firing rests with the PCB, the ICC have no mandate to do anything else so there's only two direct options.

Indirect lobbying is quite different to what you were suggesting i.e. that the ICC have a direct link into handing out bans, who's on the board, etc. They can make recommendations, they can use harsh language but they can't actually make the PCB do anything at all.

haha, interesting to note absolutely zero mention of any of the last few days' events on the ICC website. The match-report is a study in pachydermata roomitis.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=11284_1283080440

Last edited:

pakster

U19 12th Man
may be, may be not. but pakistan getting ostracized from world cricket will not affect international cricket at all.south africa was cut off for 20 years and cricket survived without them. the reality is, pakistan is not as professional a team as australia or as financially powerful as india. so them being not there in the international fold would matter very little - if at all - to anybody outside pakistan.
I'm not claiming that the ostracisation of Pakistan will be the end of cricket as we know it; cricket will survive without even the likes of Aus and Ind. If Pakistan were to be relegated to minnow status, ala Zimbabwe, we would see a pretty steep drop in the standard of cricket played by Pakistan, and this will ultimately affect the world game. It may seem like a minor inconvinience for the bigger nations now, but later down the line, when you're witnessing the 17th match between India and SL in a single year, you'll bemoan the lack of diverse opposition available.

fromage

Cricket Spectator
Ban Pakistan from all International Cricket for at least 12 months, until they can get their house in order. Pakistan have been given far too many chances over the years. From consistently being one of the most corrupt cricketing nations in the world, to having shoddy administration practices and politics in every aspect of their game.

In addition they've had such poor security in their home games that resulted in the attack on the Sri Lankan team and have had a constant revolving door of players, captains and coaches over the past few years. I think it's time to give them a break from International Cricket as sadly they do not currently deserve a place in International Cricket.
How are they gping to get the money to put their house in order if they cant play cricket.
I agree, they have had a lot of chances.But banning them serves noones interest.
The secruity argument is a mute point.

fromage

Cricket Spectator
What they should be able to do and what they are able to do are different things. Like I said, the ICC can either ban Pakistan outright or not. That's it. The hiring and firing rests with the PCB, the ICC have no mandate to do anything else so there's only two direct options.

Indirect lobbying is quite different to what you were suggesting i.e. that the ICC have a direct link into handing out bans, who's on the board, etc. They can make recommendations, they can use harsh language but they can't actually make the PCB do anything at all.

haha, interesting to note absolutely zero mention of any of the last few days' events on the ICC website. The match-report is a study in pachydermata roomitis.

International Cricket Council - News

The icc may not beable to say anything if there is a police investigation ongoing.but I agree with the elephant in the room.
Look there that one. Over there. LOOK!

Sir Alex

Banned
Pak Spin | Cricket Blogs | Cricinfo.com

Some of the comments :

Stop the tour, save the game - Smabit Bal -- what the hell do you know you scheming pro indian media rep - who the hell are you to call the shot on Amir !!! you lousy editor not doing justice to your job...it is you who should have to explain your conniving self for making these hitler like comments...this is all a conspiracy, implicating talented Pakistani cricketers like Asif and Aamir - full investigation should be made and all should be found and apprehended including NOTW and anyone who had any part in fueling this spot-fixing...controversy
I am really disappointed about what happened but I gets the feeling that this all drama is staged by Indian lobby. I think the reporter who unearthed the whole story is an Indian. The book-makers have the link with Indian book-makers. It is still unclear whether the supposed footage of match fixing is before the match or shooting is done after the match. This all is seems to be a script of bollywood film. Why the hell a book maker approach a debutant if he has already booked the two star bowlers?
these all allegations will come fake as before bob wolmer died then all media start crying that inzi killed the woolmer!
indian loby is involved to destroy pakistan cricket.media always try to become the judge.majeed told every thing with in few hours as he was reading a diary of crimes against pakistan team.majeed was arrested for defaming local bookies not arrested for fixing the match.news of the world is a news agency whoz work is to make scandals of celebs.they already faced 5 cases in court where they have paid more than 10 million pound surcharged after loosing the cases.majeed have links with indian bookies.there is no fixing on no-balls ask from famous bookies.money is transfred in acounts or deal with credit cards not as shown in video.in video reporter came to majeed's room.so did the majeed himself record the video for doing this drama?if reporter records the video he could have hiden cameras in pocket or some where else?in the end THIS DRAMA WILL B FAKE to defame pakistan
Indian Bookies with the Pakistani puppet agents - have ensured that Pakistan will not pose a serious threat to India in the upcoming world-cup i.e. the risk of Pakistan winning the World-Cup in India has been mitigated. Moreover the future threat that these kids posed has been lost - this side could have beaten India in the 2012 series with ease- this risk has also been mitigated.
It seems to be the traditional England media war as it did in the past.If the evidence proved wrong then the ICC(if fair enough) should punished not only England media but England team as well.ICC should ban the England media for any sort of cricket. If the evidence proved correct then any person involving in any capacity must be punished hard and even must for life band at any capacity.At the end i will add that ICC should be renamed as IECC (India England Cricket Council).
Resembling a slightly politically correct youtube comments section tbh.

Not in anyway suggesting majority of Pakistanis think on the above lines, no, not at all, but there exist morons on both sides of the border who find it easier to pull out a stick from one's own burning home and throw it at the neighbour's.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolute joke that Pakistan have yet to suspend the 4 cricketers in question. It isn't about whether they're guilty or not, the simple fact is that you have to suspend someone when this sort of serious investigation is under way. That's what you do particularly with only these meaningless games coming up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Absolute joke that Pakistan have yet to suspend the 4 cricketers in question. It isn't about whether they're guilty or not, the simple fact is that you have to suspend someone when this sort of serious investigation is under way. That's what you do particularly with only these meaningless games coming up.
Yes like England suspended Alec Stewart when the investigation was underway.

Stewart named in match-fixing report - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

Only three weeks ago, Lord MacLaurin called for further penalties to be imposed on Pakistan's Wasim Akram, who had been suspected of involvement of match-rigging, but while he was named in an inquiry conducted by Mr Justice Qayyum, no proof has been found.
"It's ridiculous," Lord MacLaurin added. "If someone is under suspicion he should be removed from the game until his case is heard and his innocence proved. If an English player was involved that's what would happen."
It will be fascinating to discover if Stewart, against whom not an iota of testimony has been offered, will now be sent home from Pakistan. Probably not.