• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Debris

International 12th Man
There is no evidence whatsoever that the Pakistanis were trying to fix a match

What they did was the equivalent of a pitcher throwing a "ball" in baseball or a tennis player serving a fault in tennis at completely inconsequential times and it had absolutely no chance of affecting the outcome of the match

However, if Prior had "gotten away" with his actions the other night, it may well have done

If it proven that they money to bowl no balls without duress, then ban them

But banning them for life is the equivalent of sentencing someone to death for minor assault and the threat of jail just proves it is a witch-hunt IMO
OK, thought it was obvious but I clearly need to point out the difference and why the Pakistani offence is so much worse.

The most basic principle of team sports is that each team will try their best to win a game. Anything which disrupts this destroys the credibility of the game as it degrades the concept of the game as a contest. This makes it the most serious possible offence as it is attacking the core of the game.

Breaking the rules to try and help your team to win is considered a much lesser offence. We see this sort of thing all the time in team sport and there are specified penalties in place to deal with them. Send-offs and penalties are usually considered sufficient.

The Pakistani players are not being charged for deliberately bowling a no-ball, they are being charged with not trying their best to win a game. This is the most serious offence in the game, much worse than drug-taking or ball-tampering or anything else you care to name, because it attacks the concept of a team sport being a contest and the credibility of the game. Most people will not watch a game if they don't believe the contest is genuine.

There is an Australian rugby league player basically accused of the same thing as these players. Just to give you an idea of how seriously these offences are considered, he is possibly looking at jail time (partly because he lied about it) so it is not just cricket.

It may seem like a minor offence on the surface but if you are going to bowl a no-ball for money(and a wicket could have fallen off that ball), what else are you prepared to do? There have already been suggestions of more blatant offences being committed. It is particularly insidious because so hard to detect. And they knew how serious it was and what the penalties were before they did it so really no sympathy.

If you can't tell, I get very angry when people try to assassinate my favourite game. :@

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OK, thought it was obvious but I clearly need to point out the difference and why the Pakistani offence is so much worse.

The most basic principle of team sports is that each team will try their best to win a game. Anything which disrupts this destroys the credibility of the game as it degrades the concept of the game as a contest. This makes it the most serious possible offence as it is attacking the core of the game.

Breaking the rules to try and help your team to win is considered a much lesser offence. We see this sort of thing all the time in team sport and there are specified penalties in place to deal with them. Send-offs and penalties are usually considered sufficient.

The Pakistani players are not being charged for deliberately bowling a no-ball, they are being charged with not trying their best to win a game. This is the most serious offence in the game, much worse than drug-taking or ball-tampering or anything else you care to name, because it attacks the concept of a team sport being a contest and the credibility of the game. Most people will not watch a game if they don't believe the contest is genuine.

There is an Australian rugby league player basically accused of the same thing as these players. Just to give you an idea of how seriously these offences are considered, he is possibly looking at jail time (partly because he lied about it) so it is not just cricket.

It may seem like a minor offence on the surface but if you are going to bowl a no-ball for money(and a wicket could have fallen off that ball), what else are you prepared to do? There have already been suggestions of more blatant offences being committed. It is particularly insidious because so hard to detect. And they knew how serious it was and what the penalties were before they did it so really no sympathy.

If you can't tell, I get very angry when people try to assassinate my favourite game. :@
You do realise that Aamir took 6 wickets in the innings in question

If he wasnt do his best to win the match for his team then I dont know what the **** he was up to :laugh:

Debris

International 12th Man

If he wasnt do his best to win the match for his team then I dont know what the **** he was up to :laugh:
He was obviously only paid for the no-ball in this match but every time he performs poorly there will be a huge question mark. Was he paid to bowl badly? It is a matter of retaining the public confidence in the game. How he performed for the rest of the match is irrelevant, the fact is that he deliberately assisted the opposition.

And Pakistan lost the match badly. Things other than the test match on their mind perhaps?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Well even if he was trying, we were 100-7 and then put on a 300 run stand, even though the opposition had two of the better bowlers in the world. Deliberately or otherwise, there was something strange going on.

Spark

Global Moderator
Trott and Broad did actually bat bloody well tbf. There were no dropped chances or anything like that.

smash84

The Tiger King
What we do know is that Amir was accepting money to tailor his performances to the requirement of those who were giving him the money.

As a Pakistan cricket supporter I am deeply offended and hurt that he sold himself to a few thousand pounds forgetting the very place and people with whose support he got into a very lucrative and honorable position. In order to ensure that in the future there is a lesson for people to desist from breaking the public's trust Amir should be handed out the punishment that he deserves for breaking the trust of the public.

Debris

International 12th Man
Trott and Broad did actually bat bloody well tbf. There were no dropped chances or anything like that.
This makes my point. We are now debating whether that partnership was solely down to the batting of Trott and Broad, or whether there was something else going on. Perfectly demonstrates how match fixing is just a cancer eating away at the heart of the game.

Xuhaib

International Coach
what people forget is that was Aame& Asif 6th test in 7 weeks they had literally carried the entire team on their back where they had too come out bowling again in less then two sessions as the batting would keep on collapsing again and again.They were due a flat innings and so its not a surprise that Trott and Broad got a huge partnership after being 100/7.

Debris

International 12th Man
So you are 100 percent confident they were not distracted at all and trying their utmost (aside from the no-balls) then? I admire your faith.

Xuhaib

International Coach
So you are 100 percent confident they were not distracted at all and trying their utmost (aside from the no-balls) then? I admire your faith.
both A's whenever they bowled they looked like going for wickets even during that Trott-Broad partnership their bowling plan was same which they had used against both these players all summers it was just a combination of pitch getting flatter batsman batting well and both fast bowlers getting tired which led to the big partnership.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Butt -10 years
Asif- 7 years
Aamer-5 years.

Career effectivley over Aamer with an outside chance but its very difficulty especially since he will not be playing any FC cricket aswell.Hopefully this is the last time match fixing rears its ugly head in Pakistan cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does the ban allow them to play club cricket, or are they banned from all official cricket even down to that level?

Amir might still have a shout of a decent career, seeing as he'll still be less than 25 when his ban is served. Can't imagine it would be easy coming off a ban of that length though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
another thing is will the PCB even consider him for selection once the ban is done?

Xuhaib

International Coach
another thing is will the PCB even consider him for selection once the ban is done?
will surely get a gig @ FC cricket if he still had the goods then he maybe considered nomatter what happens a possible ATG career has been ruined.

smash84

The Tiger King
What the hell does a suspended sentence mean???? Effectively they all have a 5 year sentence. Amir has a chance of coming back but it will be difficult. Given that the charges were proved these guys got off easy.