• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

PhoenixFire

International Coach
its ridiculous that the ICC even consider this imo - the big deal about being able to predict scoring trends broadly is such a nonsensical concept i would not where to begin.

and how the sun would be able to provide compelling evidence about this?

the substance of the evidence is unknown right - where? who? what where? - yet the ICC are seemingly giving credence to it, this is moronic.

i want to know the exact trends that were predicted

then i want to know these predictions relevant to all other predictions in the market - to see if its in any way remarkable.

for example if someone predicts that between overs 18-23 there will be less that 30 runs scored, and between overs 43-47 there will be over 30 runs scored and gets it right i am struggling to see the big deal

to think a batsmen has so much control that he/they can co-ordinate scoring patterns to an exact run is mind boggling
Except you and nobody else (at this point) had no idea what evidence was given.

If evidence was given to the Sun that there would have been x number of runs scored in 10 consecutive overs and it was correct 9 times out of 10, then would you still say that 'that's no big deal'?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
consective maidens should be possible to pull off.
Yeah, I'd imagine maidens would be the easiest to produce to order.

I suppose the betting patterns will help make any possible accusations stick too. If overs X & Y had more than usual the amount of money wagered on the number of runs scored from them that The Sun told The ICC would happen beforehand it must increase the liklihood of something nefarious having happened.

All desperately sad and tiresome too.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Except the bets would be with the kind of bookies who don't keep records, or at least tend to make those records available to the authorities, I'd imagine.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
For the love of god.

They're making themselves looks sillier than they already looked; if that is possible.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Except you and nobody else (at this point) had no idea what evidence was given.

If evidence was given to the Sun that there would have been x number of runs scored in 10 consecutive overs and it was correct 9 times out of 10, then would you still say that 'that's no big deal'?
you say evidence - but what would that be?

a receipt from an underground bookie?

some random speculation?

its more than possible to predict what pakistan would score in a certain passage of play with accuracy of more +/- runs

now i am not defending pakistan per se because i do believe they need some rehibilitation, but i will speak out if it goes into the realms of general smears, and i think this is where this is going.

Jacknife

International Captain
you say evidence - but what would that be?

a receipt from an underground bookie?

some random speculation?

its more than possible to predict what pakistan would score in a certain passage of play with accuracy of more +/- runs

now i am not defending pakistan per se because i do believe they need some rehibilitation, but i will speak out if it goes into the realms of general smears, and i think this is where this is going.
I don't know how you can say that,as we know the Sun as passed on information
that some scoring patterns would happen during the match,they obviously must have been on the money or very close to it,to even get the ICC to take notice.But for example, they told the ICC that the Pakistan batsman were going to play out maidens in the 3rd,10th,and 43nd over and it went down that way,do you suggest the ICC should have ignored this information.You said you will speak out if it goes into the realms of general smears,but nobody knows yet what information has been passed on or how bad it looks,as of now they are investigating, so you haven't a clue whether this is a general smear,which I doubt the ICC would employ tactics like that.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
I don't know how you can say that,as we know the Sun as passed on information
that some scoring patterns would happen during the match,they obviously must have been on the money or very close to it,to even get the ICC to take notice.But for example, they told the ICC that the Pakistan batsman were going to play out maidens in the 3rd,10th,and 43nd over and it went down that way,do you suggest the ICC should have ignored this information.You said you will speak out if it goes into the realms of general smears,but nobody knows yet what information has been passed on or how bad it looks,as of now they are investigating, so you haven't a clue whether this is a general smear,which I doubt the ICC would employ tactics like that.
but the ICC said that they seemed "broadly correct" - well anyone can be broadly correct, so whats the big deal?

in the scenario you described its being precisely correct.

then you need to know what context these prediction were made in - how many bets were placed? by who? when?

there are so many questions to verify about unregulated activity that i am surprised the ICC are giving it the time of day

PhoenixFire

International Coach
but the ICC said that they seemed "broadly correct" - well anyone can be broadly correct, so whats the big deal?

in the scenario you described its being precisely correct.

then you need to know what context these prediction were made in - how many bets were placed? by who? when?

there are so many questions to verify about unregulated activity that i am surprised the ICC are giving it the time of day
Forgetting the other numerous holes in the argument, how do you know that the ICC don't have compelling evidence that they aren't telling the press because of legal reasons?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know if anyone has read the original report in The Sun, but one passage caught my eye:

ICC chiefs launched their investigation before the Pakistan innings had even finished. The probe centres on an individual within the team camp who is believed to be the ringleader, taking money from bookies and ensuring their orders are carried out.

One presumes the identity of this individual is known and, if so, surely he should be immediately suspended pending the outcome of the investiagtion?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What makes it worse in my view is that apparently the ICC officials gathered the Pakistan team before the match (after they were made aware of the reports) and spoke to them about the importance of playing fair and not playing prey to illicit practices, I suppose to give them one last chance of figuring out the right thing to do. If the involved players did what they're alleged to have done despite all this, they deserve all that's coming to them, and more. What did they want the ICC to do, draw them a diagram?

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Forgetting the other numerous holes in the argument, how do you know that the ICC don't have compelling evidence that they aren't telling the press because of legal reasons?
how do you know theres anything substantive in the first place?

why can we not see it?

whats the law got to do with it?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
how do you know theres anything substantive in the first place?

why can we not see it?

whats the law got to do with it?
Because the ICC aren't a prank Pakistani politician wannabe. They aren't a bunch of rabid conspiracy theorists with a persecution complex.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
You didn't answer my question.
it wasn't a question, it was more of a statement

what legal reasons are there to consider, i dont know of any and i an not sure there is one, therefore if you dont know of any, or anyone else, you dont have a valid question

its annoying for me because alot of pak fans just want closure, put up or shut up in other words.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
it wasn't a question, it was more of a statement

what legal reasons are there to consider, i dont know of any and i an not sure there is one, therefore if you dont know of any, or anyone else, you dont have a valid question

its annoying for me because alot of pak fans just want closure, put up or shut up in other words.
:laugh:

Are you secretly an expert on publicity law and know everything that there is to know about the legalities of whether the ICC should or shouldn't release any information that they have into the public domain, because I'm sure not.

In all honesty, what the Pakistani fans want (and I have every sympathy with them) isn't the issue and it isn't close to being the most important thing here. The integrity of the game is I'm afriad.