• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

fromage

Cricket Spectator
Fromage - No. We are not derailing this conversation by dragging every other instance of ethical breaches we can imagine under the sun in and making it all one big ball. Consider this a warning against derailing the conversation and seeking to bait others into doing the same.

Goodness.My apologies. I wasn't trying to derail the conversation,just trying to outline my earlier point and to answer the question.

Perhaps the Atherton scandal has nothing to do with this. But it does show 'this sort of thing' has been aound for a while and we need to be careful that one player doesn't pay for all of that.

One does need to ask questions about the game of cricket and its now tainted image and why we don't see these scandals in other sports(or do we?), but that's perhaps for another thread.

So please excuse me and on with the conversation. I'm a bit new here.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It would be an interesting thing to make a thread about actually, the occurence of potential match fixing throughout cricketing history.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Goodness.My apologies. I wasn't trying to derail the conversation,just trying to outline my earlier point and to answer the question.

Perhaps the Atherton scandal has nothing to do with this. But it does show 'this sort of thing' has been aound for a while and we need to be careful that one player doesn't pay for all of that.

One does need to ask questions about the game of cricket and its now tainted image and why we don't see these scandals in other sports(or do we?), but that's perhaps for another thread.

So please excuse me and on with the conversation. I'm a bit new here.
Not a problem. Obviously emotions on this issue are running reasonably high, so we are (trying) to be pretty vigilant about anything with the potential to cause fights on the forum.

Can I suggest that if you want to have a conversation about how this scandal compares to others from the past, create a separate conversation topic in the Cricket Chat forum? By derailing I mean making comments that will quickly lead this conversation thread to move away from what it is here to facilitate conversation about and turn to mud-slinging in all directions. That is unfair to people who want to talk about what is happening in this specific case.

As a new member, I'd also encourage you to take the time to read over the Forum Rules - we expect members to know them.

fromage

Cricket Spectator
What'll happen next in this story?I've just read on the BBc that the PCB won't suspend anyone, but that some players will be 'unlikely' for the next odi series, due to lack of mental focus, perhaps understandably.
Imagine.Would you want to play cricket? not to mention that the countries in the midst of a big natural disaster too. One's mind cant be on cricket.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't think it does anyone any good for these guys to be involved in the ODI series, if it proceeds.

DingDong

State Captain
reckon we should get some temp mods in here while this whole match fixing thing dies down...
u know where to find me.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't understand all this fuss about any clear proof not being there.

Are we waiting for the DNA test to happen?

Or, are we claiming that nothing happened ever in reality, and players being bribed took place only in the 2nd level of dreaming (like in Inception)?

Next, a CW poster will say that posting in cricketweb doesn't happen in reality at all, because the world itself is an illusion (or 'maya', in Sanskrit), and he'll refuse to admit that he (or anyone with the same username, whatever that means) has ever posted in cricketweb, unless a clear proof is shown.
:laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I can't imagine so. They will get booed so badly and possibly worse. I can't see what good would come out of it at all.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Sun put it best when they created a timeline of cricketing incidents. First was Bodyline, then Underarm, then Hansie Cronje and now this. Imo, this is all Jardine's fault.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
so uh, sky sports is reporting that the players under scrutiny could face the death penalty back home.
Uh, some people can't think except the extremes.

Hate this mindset of either let them play in absence of 'any clear proof', or hang them until death!

Isn't the answer simple? Ban them from first-class cricket for life, let them choose a different profession where integrity and honesty aren't as crucial, and let them live happily ever after. Doesn't it seem common-sensical?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People need to understand that when you see headlines like 'Players face death penalty' or something like that they mean that the crime they've been charged with carries a maximum sentence of the death penalty. In this case, the players have been charged with treason which has a maximum sentence of death in Pakistan.

Ofcourse this is on the lower end of Pakistan's interpretation of treason and these players won't get death, but the point is that the papers put this in the headline for shock value. Don't get thrown by it, but don't act as if it's 100% inaccurate.

Spark

Global Moderator
And even then it's not like "oh no they're going to face trial for treason", no some random lawyer has tried to initiate treason proceedings against them.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Word on the street is, Kamran Akmal's no longer being investigated by Scotland Yard. Presumably on lack of evidence.