• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo's "The Best I've Watched" Series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just came across this today when I was looking for some fixtures for the Australian Domestic Season. Read Mike Selvey's account of the first session of the Caribbean series between Australia and Windies in 1995, was a great read.

The Best I've Watched: Mike Selvey on Australia's Barbados win in 1995 | Highlights | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Before the fourth over of the series was done, the left-armer Brendon Julian had seen Stuart Williams taken at slip and had Richardson, trying to kitchen-sink a wide ball slanted across him, caught at the wicket, while in between times Sherwin Campbell had edged Paul Reiffel to Ian Healy. One run between the three of them and a scoreboard reading 6 for 3.

"Situation desperate," once said Marshall Foch when surrounded. "I shall attack." And so Carl Hooper and Brian Lara launched a counter-offensive of rapacious cut-and-thrust brilliance.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That WI '95 one is a perfect example of what some of us have been trying to say re: giving a batter enough rope. 9.99/10 times, the ball bowled to Richie would have left burn marks on the grass on the way to the point fence but BJ lured him into the shot by bottling him up for a few balls prior then throwing in the wider one which wasn't quite as wide as Richie might have liked it.

Heh, still, no-one could quite believe the WI were 3/6 with what was basically a second-string attack. Was a stunning start to the series.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Still regard the 1995 Frank Worrell Trophy as the greatest Test series during my lifetime.

That first morning session was so intense. All the hype had been surrounding Lara, and yet it was Hooper who was the real dangerman (he scored a swag of runs during the ODI series if I recall correctly). The only thing missing from the entire series was both Lara and Warne didn't really reach the heights of the past two seasons, and yet both had solid performances.

YouTube - WEST INDIES vs AUSTRALIA, 1995 1st TEST, BRIDGETOWN BARBADOS

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's amazing how little McGrath's action changed from then onwards. When you watch many other bowlers, you can see slight little differences, but you could mistake that for him bowling at any other stage of his career.

Noble One

His approach to the wicket was slightly faster, but you are correct you could watch McGrath circa 1995 compared to 2007 and you would notice no difference. Even his hair remained largely the same throughout his career.

Noble One

I love the moment at the end of the video with Slater and Taylor rushing off the field and someone grabs Slater or says something to him and both openers turn around ready to thump the bloke.

Bring the crowd interaction back to our game I say.

Burgey

IIRC Taylor and Slater were running off at the end of the game with stumps as souveniers when members of the crowd snatched them off them, which was why they turned around and looked so pissed off about it.

It was the first series of super slow mo shown in Australia too. They called it "spin vision" back then, as it was pretty much exclusively used to focus ont he variations Warne used when he was bowling.

Edit: it should also be noted what superb hands Mark Taylor had as a slipper.

Last edited:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I just stumbled upon this yesterday actually before I read this thread. Brilliant series. I think since I've only been watching cricket since February, :'( the best I've seen was Shakib's 62 overs against England managing barely a 2.00 Economy in the 2nd test in Chittagong this past March. That was No. 1 in the world bowling quality. From videos I've seen in YouTube, probably DPMD's 372 against South Africa. How you can judge a delivery that is bowled behind you, hop around in front of it and slog it for 6 on multiple occasions is beyond me. That's mind-blowing footwork imho. Also Anil Kumble's 10-for was impressive but I like the 372. Tamim's 100 and Kayes maiden 50 at Lord's was nice too. It was great to see England give the very young Kayes, who was struggling so hard, a huge round of applause for the accomplishment. Then Shakib got a 5-for which was rediculous. 3 Bangladeshis in the 1st innings with honors. Then they collapsed in the 2nd innings for a massive anti-climax, but still, it was nice to see.

Top_Cat

His approach to the wicket was slightly faster, but you are correct you could watch McGrath circa 1995 compared to 2007 and you would notice no difference. Even his hair remained largely the same throughout his career.
Dispute this, tbh.

McG circa 1990's was all about, to use a cricketing analogy, the square cut.

McG circa 2005 was a couple of inches longer and even had streaks;

Top_Cat

A picture says a thousand captions. None of them appropriate to a family forum, tbh.