• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
a bit of fun try and rank new zealands pace bowlers in test merit. 1-10 or more if you like.

1 c.martin
2 t.southee
3 b.arnell
4 h.bennett
5 a.mckay
6 k.mills
7 d.tuffey
8 m.bates
9 g.aldridge
10a.milne

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Southee
some distance
Martin
Arnel
some distance
Mills
some distance
Mckay
Mason
Bennet
Tuffey
some distance
the rest

Flem274*

123/5
I'm smiling at the distance between Southee and the rest. He's one of the best we have, but there is no daylight between him and the rest.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Tuffey so far down your list :huh:
IF I could frankenstein Tuffeys expereince and smarts with Bennets abilities he would be one of the better bowlers going around. Just a bit concerned about him bowling in the 120s. I guess I could have placed him higher. Where would you have placed him.

Rated him below Mills as Mills does more with the ball. And always liked Mason. If only he was a bit more consistent he would still be playing for NZ.
And I guess I have Mckay and Bennet in there for their potential.

Flem274*

123/5
Mason just got the one test match. I don't think he was seen as much of a strike bowler, that and we never had to look past (over Mason's career) Bond, Franklin, Cairns, Nash, Martin, Tuffey and Oram to be our seamers.

By the time those guys all went for one reason or another, Mason was about 33-34 and not seen as a long term option. It was between him and O'Brien to be the 30+ seamer imo, and because O'Brien was a tad quicker and a bit younger he got an opportunity first and took it with both hands.

I do think Mason could have been quite a decent test bowler though if he'd been given more opportunities. Gets plenty of bounce and seam movement and is very accurate. He's on the way out now though.

Howsie

International Captain
1.Tim Southee
2.Brent Arnel
3.Hamish Bennett
4.Andy McKay
5.Kyle Mills
6.Darryl Tuffey
7.Chris Martin
8.Graeme Aldridge
9.Michael Mason
10.Trent Boult

Something like that anyway. I'd have Boult a lot higher once he's actually bowling at full fitness.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
yeah thanks for that Flem I was out of NZ for most of Mason's career so that was new information for me. First time I saw him was in an ODI and I saw him bowl a perfect outswinger and thought that guy is money. I love the way his outswinger wobbles.

But then as I watched him - in the next few games he would release the pressure off the batsman with a boundary delivery at in opportune times. And then he would bowl well only to pick up a niggly injury.

Love his run up and bowling action. He definitely makes NZ FC cricket a better place for being a part of it,

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, the best seamers in the country as of right now imo are:

Tier 1: Brent Arnel, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien

Tier 2: Andre Adams, Michael Mason, Darryl Tuffey

Tier 3: Chris Martin, Andy McKay, Hamish Bennett, Graeme Aldridge, James Franklin, Adam Milne:cool:

Those are subject to change though. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference in the tiers at all, though there is a little bit of distance between the tiers. Bennett and McKay are tier 3 mainly because I'm undecided on them, and there's other bowlers around who could be in the above lists except I've seen none of them.

Imo we have a whole bunch of bowlers who are of a very similar quality.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah. But instead of giving guys regular game time who might actually become good bowlers - your Southee's, Bennett's etc we'll see the same old dinosaurs wheeled out who aren't actually any better and are a good 8-10 years older.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah. But instead of giving guys regular game time who might actually become good bowlers - your Southee's, Bennett's etc we'll see the same old dinosaurs wheeled out who aren't actually any better and are a good 8-10 years older.
Now there's an idea...

Yeah whatever...

Bring it ****s!

Flem274*

123/5
Should go with a mix imo. Chucking three n00bs in at one go (Southee, Bennett, McKay or whoever the next bloke they pick is) is a bit OTT (I know you're not advocating it).

Since we have a whole bunch of similar quality bowlers we should look to vary our attack as much as possible, so we have a bit of everything.

Would be great if O'Brien returns, even if it's just a couple of series. He retired as a bowler head and shoulders above the rest of the country.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, the best seamers in the country as of right now imo are:

Tier 1: Brent Arnel, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien

Tier 2: Andre Adams, Michael Mason, Darryl Tuffey

Tier 3: Chris Martin, Andy McKay, Hamish Bennett, Graeme Aldridge, James Franklin, Adam Milne:cool:

Those are subject to change though. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference in the tiers at all, though there is a little bit of distance between the tiers. Bennett and McKay are tier 3 mainly because I'm undecided on them, and there's other bowlers around who could be in the above lists except I've seen none of them.

Whereabouts in that would you put Mills?

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
If you remember Mason's one debut test at the Basin vs South Africa, he really went to pieces mentally. His run up was shot, he was delivering the ball a good metre behind the crease. A bit like that time Sinclair was looking awful at the basin too but from a bowler perspective. I remember the commentators joking that Cairns should move his marker up when he wasn't looking!

I always liked him too and was sad for him that happened and he never got given another chance after that to make amends. I remember he was cleaning up the domestic season and saw a few games were he was just putting ball after ball right on the spot and really troubling the batsmen.

He got given a go in some ODIs and was going well, then got injured. And it seems the selectors never 'liked' him.

I suppose when you have a face like that :ph34r:

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Mason should've played that Test vs Bangers in Dunedin a few years back instead of being twelth man. Would still be in the side now IMO.