• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Milne should be back after this match and Verma is apparently very quick.
Suppose Wheeler will make way for Milne?

Verma, from what I've read was a bit of a medium pacer until last season wasn't that right? All of a sudden he's discovered how to bowl fast.

Flem274*

123/5

Verma, from what I've read was a bit of a medium pacer until last season wasn't that right? All of a sudden he's discovered how to bowl fast.
Wheeler's in great form. Reckon McClenaghan, Bracewell and KNB will be the ones looking over their shoulders.

Verma was a medium pacer until a year or so ago yeah.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Wheeler's in great form. Reckon McClenaghan, Bracewell and KNB will be the ones looking over their shoulders.

Verma was a medium pacer until a year or so ago yeah.
KNB and Bracewell have a batting alrounder tag to them don't they? In saying that it seems Mitch has the 'special project' around his neck so it's not likely he would make way.

Re Verma - will be interesting if he turns into a decent pace bowler, considering how so many people say you either have it or you don't, you can't develop more speed.

Howsie

International Captain

He was only 17 when he played in the 08 Under 19 world cup, you'd think he's just gradually gotten quicker since then.

Flem274*

123/5
KNB and Bracewell have a batting alrounder tag to them don't they? In saying that it seems Mitch has the 'special project' around his neck so it's not likely he would make way.

Re Verma - will be interesting if he turns into a decent pace bowler, considering how so many people say you either have it or you don't, you can't develop more speed.
KNB is more of a batting allrounder in FC cricket, but I think Bracewell has had a bit more success with ball than bat thus far. Meant to be a genuine allrounder but he's a work in progress atm.

McClenaghan does seem to have the faith of the CD guys so I'd guess that KNB will drop out and Bracewell will get promoted one spot.

Or they might just stick with the same team.

On Verma: I'm surprised people say you can't develop more pace. Mitchell McClenaghan went from medium pace to genuine quick, Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson are some Australian examples of gaining speed.

In other news, ND are 4/1. Michael Parlane goes lbw to McCone for 4.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
KNB is more of a batting allrounder in FC cricket, but I think Bracewell has had a bit more success with ball than bat thus far. Meant to be a genuine allrounder but he's a work in progress atm.

McClenaghan does seem to have the faith of the CD guys so I'd guess that KNB will drop out and Bracewell will get promoted one spot.

Or they might just stick with the same team.

On Verma: I'm surprised people say you can't develop more pace. Mitchell McClenaghan went from medium pace to genuine quick, Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson are some Australian examples of gaining speed.

In other news, ND are 4/1. Michael Parlane goes lbw to McCone for 4.
McCone continues with some good form.

I've heard people say you are either born with the ability to bowl fast or your not, and that hitting the 130's is achievable but anything 140 and above, then you have the gift. Also, it's very difficult to expect a player to get that much faster after around 21-22 years of age.

Lastly, hitting 145's at 18-19 is not that common.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee's quicker then what he was when he made his international debut, not a lot quicker but still a good 5 or so K's.
Southee posted 140 k's on his 20/20 debut, and was bowling in the mid to high 130's in his test debut. His average pace has probably wobbled up and down since then, but it's not really any faster than when he was first introduced.

Flem274*

123/5
McCone continues with some good form.

I've heard people say you are either born with the ability to bowl fast or your not, and that hitting the 130's is achievable but anything 140 and above, then you have the gift. Also, it's very difficult to expect a player to get that much faster after around 21-22 years of age.

Lastly, hitting 145's at 18-19 is not that common.
Some people are born with it, but there's a few examples of dudes gaining pace floating around the world so I reckon it's probably uncommon but not unachievable.

It's good to see some young guys hitting decent speeds. Milne has been clocked at 146kph (Champions League) and Small 143kph (U19 WC), while Verma is apparently fast and Mathieson and Boult are no slouches.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Some people are born with it, but there's a few examples of dudes gaining pace floating around the world so I reckon it's probably uncommon but not unachievable.

It's good to see some young guys hitting decent speeds. Milne has been clocked at 146kph (Champions League) and Small 143kph (U19 WC), while Verma is apparently fast and Mathieson and Boult are no slouches.
What's happened to Bevan Small? Is he close to selection? Injured? Planning on moving somewhere else due to lack of opportunities? Seemed quite promising at the U19WC, swinging the ball both ways at 140k's. But I haven't heard anything of him since.

Flem274*

123/5
What's happened to Bevan Small? Is he close to selection? Injured? Planning on moving somewhere else due to lack of opportunities? Seemed quite promising at the U19WC, but I haven't heard anything of him since.
Last I heard he's around the fringes of CD, but there's a logjam of young bowlers atm so he might be struggling to get up the pecking order.

When Mason retires I'd like to see an attack of Wheeler, Milne, Small, Bracewell + someone else.