• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scorecard Draft

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Okay, as per recent discussions, we'll go ahead with a scorecard draft.

It's an all time Test draft where each consecutive pick has to be a player that featured in a test the previous player played in, either in the same team or against. Could have a few hilarious plays, where everyone tries to avoid going back far enough to gift Bradman to the next selector.

Once the selectors are all lined up and the order randomised, we'll start off with the latest Test being played, i.e. the current India - Sri Lanka Test at Galle. Selector 1 picks a player playing the Test, then Selector 2 picks a player that has played either with or against the player in a Test match at any point in time, providing a link to the appropriate scorecard as proof. It then carries on similarly in the pre determined order...

IMO the scorecards should be from ICC sanctioned Test matches involving Test nations only, i.e. not involving any World or ROW XI's, and not involving matches that are currently not accepted as official Tests by the ICC.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Also, I'd planned to leave it at that, but there were concerns raised that the strategy of not gifting Bradman to the next selector could lead to this being a recent/current players draft only. So to counter that, how about giving each selector a single veto card to be used at his discretion only once, at any point in the draft when he makes his pick? So, for instance, if a selector makes a pick which he knows could lead to the next selector getting someone like Bradman, he could play his veto and name the player (e.g. Bradman) alongwith his pick, which means that the next selector has to do the opposite of what the thread is about, i.e. pick a player from a scorecard from any point in history that does not feature the player named (i.e. Bradman).

Makes it a bit complicated, but it's just a suggestion.

Also, I reckon the time period for each pick should be 12 hours?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
To make it more interesting, we could stipulate that the next pick cannot be a player featuring in the Test used by the previous selector...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am in.. but you are needlessly complicating the rules... Leave it at "pick a guy who has played with this guy but NOT in this test".. The veto seems a really needless thing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Just playing the role of ICC Official, hb :ph34r: Not even busted out the supersub and spinplay rules yet too..

Athlai

Not Terrible
In but won't the first person just say Bradman. :laugh:

Ah I see you have said that we'd just go from the most recent Test, but why don't we go the other way and start from the first Test?

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
How will you make the orders? Will they be random?

Or can I suggest Random for 1st and reverse of the same for 2nd? Random for 3rd and reverse of the same for 4th?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
In but won't the first person just say Bradman. :laugh:

Ah I see you have said that we'd just go from the most recent Test, but why don't we go the other way and start from the first Test?
Chicken or Egg, Athlai, Chicken or Egg.

How will you make the orders? Will they be random?

Or can I suggest Random for 1st and reverse of the same for 2nd? Random for 3rd and reverse of the same for 4th?
sounds good.

Himannv

International Coach
Most recent should be fair enough.

Give us an example Joe, just to make sure I got it right.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
E.G - Selector 1 picks Murali from the Ind-SL test and posts a link to the scorecard. Selector 2 can then pick any player that has ever played in a test Murali has played in, either with or against. But he can't select Tendulkar/Dravid/Sehwag/Dhoni/Jayawardene/Sangakkara etc, because they're featured in the same test too. He can pick Jayasuriya though, and posts a scorecard that shows Murali and Jayasuriya playing the same test. Selector 3 can then pick any player that has played the same test as Jayasuriya, except those players (like Sangakkara/Pietersen/etc/etc) that feature in the scorecard posted by selector 2...

Last edited: