Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Richards?

U19 Debutant

Barry Richards?

Why did Barry Richards only play 4 international test matches? his average was 72, how is he ranked among all time batsmen?

also why was he kicked out of the South African team? was it because he was black?

Quote Originally Posted by SaeedAnwar View Post
    Why did Barry Richards only play 4 international test matches? also why was he kicked out of the South African team?
    South Africa were banned from Test cricket for the majority of his career. He wasn't kicked out; they just weren't playing.

was it because he was black?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Why did Barry Richards only play 4 international test matches? his average was 72, how is he ranked among all time batsmen?

also why was he kicked out of the South African team? was it because he was black?
    Apartheid led to South Africa being banned from international cricket (as well as other sports).
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

I apologize but I laughed out loud when I read this post.

**** me.

Bit harsh, I've taken from some of his posts that Saeed's living in the States and perhaps has only recently developed an interest in the broader history of the game (SA - apologies if this is an incorrect surmise).

Richards was one of a number of wonderful South Africans whose test career was cut off at the knees by the politics of their government. It's a damn shame because they were probably the best team in the world at the time of their exclusion, and the matches we missed between them and the West Indies through the 70s and 80s would have been classics. Guys like Mike Procter (who would have been the best bowler out of the great allrounders of the 70s/80s), Clive Rice, etc make for great subjects of research to learn about the game. Even Graeme Pollock, although he got to play a bit more, had their career rudely curtailed.

Here's a nice article from Cricinfo on the last team SA fielded before they went into exile.
    Last edited by Matt79; 09-04-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post

Here's a nice article from Cricinfo on the last team SA fielded before they went into exile.
    Such an awesome team. It had the bowling attack of P. Pollock, Proctor, Barlow and Goddard who were all allrounders.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I apologize but I laughed out loud when I read this post.
    why?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    why?
    It just sounds strange for a question about BR being black, as SA at that time would not select any black players no matter their talent
    You know it makes sense.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Great article. Thanks for the link, Matt.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

I know I might be biast because I am South African but what a team we would have had in the 70's and 80's. Since re-admission and twenty years onwards we have consistently been just behind Australia as the 2nd best side and even snuck ahead of them on ocassions but I really believe West Indies vs South Africa would have been a great battle in the 70's and 80's.

Our team going into the 70's would have lost only Trevor Goddard, Denis Lindsay and Peter Pollock probably. All 3 of whom were brilliant cricketers as well.

Probable team...

1. Barry Richards
    2. Eddie Barlow (vc)
    3. Peter Kirsten
    4. Graeme Pollock
    5. Lee Irvine
    6. Clive Rice (c)
    7. Mike Procter
    8. Alan Kourie
    9. Ray Jennings (+)
    10. Garth Le Roux
    11. Vincent Van der Bijl

In reserve there would have been Jimmy Cook who would have come in for Barlow when he retired. Ken McEwan would have come in for Lee Irvine.

In the bowling ranks Stephen Jefferies and the leg-spinner Denys Hobson would have been pushing for places as well.

Australia of the 70s would have been the third top team. Obviously they were trounced in that last series vs SA, but once Lillee and Greg Chappell came into the team, and they weren't buggered from a tour of India immediately preceding, they would have had some magnificent battles vs that SA team.

For those who were around at the time, who was generally viewed as the greater batsman; Graeme Pollock or Barry Richards?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    For those who were around at the time, who was generally viewed as the greater batsman; Graeme Pollock or Barry Richards?
    Many people could give you an argument for either being slightly better than the other. But I think Graeme Pollock would win this one to me.

Richards was a perfect technician...probably in the top 5 of all time in that regard. Brilliant player who due to his technique and range of strokes was so dominant whatever the situation.

With Graeme Pollock, he was never the perfect technician and still maintains that cricket is 'a see the ball hit the ball game'. Why I believe most think he is better is that you just have to watch clips of him bat. His cover drive was out of this world...you would see a gentle waft of the willow and the next minute the ball was thudding into the fence...I think dismissiveness of bowlers was what made him so special.

International 12th Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information