• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Doctoring the pitch

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Don't think there's a problem unless a wicket is prepared to play markedly different to how it normally does. If you set out to totally change the characteristics of the wicket for one match then it's pretty piss poor, otherwise carry on.
So what happens if there's loads of good spinners coming through in NSW and the state association wants curators to prepare pitches that seriously aid spin?

NSW is a bad example to use given that the SCG has always been good to spin, but the point stands for the other 5 state associations in Australia.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what happens if there's loads of good spinners coming through in NSW and the state association wants curators to prepare pitches that seriously aid spin?

NSW is a bad example to use given that the SCG has always been good to spin, but the point stands for the other 5 state associations in Australia.
Given a number of spinners have left their home state to play in other states with wickets (MacGill is from WA but played for NSW, for example) more conducive to spin I don't think anything would happen if that's the case. It seems the bowlers are forced to look for spin friendly conditions if their home ground isn't suitable.

When Warne was playing the wickets around the country remained the same I think. Granted, he could turn it on anything really, but I doubt you'll see pitches being altered dramatically to suit 1 or 2 bowlers in the team. Usually when this is done on a whim it produces a bit of a farce as far as matches are concerned anyway.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Warne was playing the wickets around the country remained the same I think. Granted, he could turn it on anything really, but I doubt you'll see pitches being altered dramatically to suit 1 or 2 bowlers in the team. Usually when this is done on a whim it produces a bit of a farce as far as matches are concerned anyway.
Aside from that, it's pretty tough to do. Need the weather to play nice (or not so nice), generally.

Craig

World Traveller
Also, a lot of the groundsmen are local so they know what the weather will do etc.

In an ODI in the 80's, 'Gabba groundsman Kevin Mitchell Snr and his staff drove out on to the field a few minutes before a thunderstorm was about to hit, advising the umpires and the players to GTFO quickly as a storm was about to hit. They heeded his advice as the storm hit and they had the pitch covered and the match was saved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aside from that, it's pretty tough to do. Need the weather to play nice (or not so nice), generally.
Yeah, one of the reasons for the classical five (or six) Australian ground decks being so different is the fact that the country is so vast and the climate differs from place to place.

In most other places the weather has less impact because most other cricketing territories are smaller. Nonetheless, there's variation in India and the tradititional Jamaican and Barbadian decks were very, very different to those in the rest of the Caribbean.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Lol @ sippyslip. What a joke.

A green wicket is challenging for the batsman and good for cricket but a turner is "doctored".

****ing hilarious how ridiculous that is.
You really are a pathetic turd aren't you? 4chan is over there, kid.

Pathetic trolling when you can't actually debate any of points got weak around, 1999.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Haha, if you don't think bats are different from 1900 to 2010, you are insane. Guys who have been playing since the 90s have commented how much better the bats are just in ten years time.
So you're that they'not made out of wood?

You're saying the dimensions of a cricket bat have radically changed over the last 133 years?

You're saying that bats arent made by splicing a handle into willow?

Interesting theories ... try picking up a book about cricket and reading it.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I cannot recall any pitch with spin (other than off the rough) when SL toured Australia. Other than Cairns and Darwin all other pitches were flat as pancakes when SL toured Australia. Warne averages 38 on these pancakes against SL. He bowled well only in Darwin and Cairns against SL. Murali averages 100+ on them (never played at SCG for SL).
Just because you're ignorant and Chucker Khan can't bowl outside of Sri Lanka doesnt mean the SCG has never spun.

Allan Border once took 10 wickets in a test against West Indies in the 1988/89 at the SCG. Obviously the SCG has never spun and AB was some great undiscovered spin bowler.

Though I did enjoy watching Ponting and Symonds destroy Murali for 0/99 off ten overs at the SCG a few years ago. I'm sure it was because the mean, Australian bullies in the crowd teased him that caused him to bowl so badly.

andyc

Quit the personal insults and the trolling, slippyslip. If you're not going to add anything constructive, don't post at all. Consider this a warning.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because you're ignorant and Chucker Khan can't bowl outside of Sri Lanka doesnt mean the SCG has never spun.

Allan Border once took 10 wickets in a test against West Indies in the 1988/89 at the SCG. Obviously the SCG has never spun and AB was some great undiscovered spin bowler.

Though I did enjoy watching Ponting and Symonds destroy Murali for 0/99 off ten overs at the SCG a few years ago. I'm sure it was because the mean, Australian bullies in the crowd teased him that caused him to bowl so badly.
Sorry you are an idiot who cannot read. SL never played in SCG and without being a tool just look up in cricinfo. And when Murali played in SCG in super test (incidentally where Warne and MacGill both managed to get spin) he caused umpteen problems to Aussies. If Sanga was keeping instead of Boucher (who was clueless and dropped 2 chanced and a stumping) Murali would have picked 6 wickets in that innings.

I said Aussie pitches never turn when SL tour there. Even Warne was not spinning the ball as he used to do against Poms or Springboks.

You are just pathetic

Spark

Global Moderator
Frankly I wouldn't mind the odd "doctored" pitch or 2nd/3rd day raging turner if it meant we wouldn't have to put up with the 5/600dec, 5/700 dec, 1/200 draw pitches that we seem to get a fair bit nowadays.

andyc

Sorry you are an idiot who cannot read. SL never played in SCG and without being a tool just look up in cricinfo. And when Murali played in SCG in super test (incidentally where Warne and MacGill both managed to get spin) he caused umpteen problems to Aussies. If Sanga was keeping instead of Boucher (who was clueless and dropped 2 chanced and a stumping) Murali would have picked 6 wickets in that innings.

I said Aussie pitches never turn when SL tour there. Even Warne was not spinning the ball as he used to do against Poms or Springboks.

You are just pathetic
Please don't exacerbate the situation by biting back at him, Migara. If he's insulted you personally, report the post and move on; attack the post but not the poster.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You really are a pathetic turd aren't you? 4chan is over there, kid.

Pathetic trolling when you can't actually debate any of points got weak around, 1999.
:-O

How does one debate whether a wicket is doctored or not? You're saying India cheated, I'm saying that they created wickets that suited their strengths.

I dont see an actual debate occurring.